Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FW 2.20 (The "Get Low" Update) OUT NOW

Digital_Igloo

Helix FW 2.20 (The "Get Low" Update)

New Amps (6)
Line 6 Badonk, all new Line 6 original inspired by the original high gain Big Bottom model
Del Sol 300, based on* the Sunn® Coliseum 300 bass amp
Woody Blue, based on* the Acoustic® 360 bass amp
Busy One Ch1, based on* channel 1 of the Pearce BC-1 bass preamp
Busy One Ch2, based on* channel 2 of the Pearce BC-1 bass preamp
Busy One Jump, based on* channel 1 and 2 (jumped) of the Pearce BC-1 bass preamp

New Hybrid Cabs (7)
1x12 Match H30, based on* the Matchless® DC-30 cab (12†G12H30 speaker)
1x12 Match G25, based on* the Matchless® DC-30 cab (12†Greenback 25 speaker)
1x12 Cali IV, based on* the MESA/Boogie® Mk IV 12†cab
1x12 Cali EXT, based on* the MESA/Boogie® 12†extension cab (EVM12L speaker)
1x12 Del Sol, based on* the Sunn® Coliseum 300 bass cab (12†speaker)
1x18 Del Sol, based on* the Sunn® Coliseum 300 bass cab (18†speaker)
1x18 Woody Blue, based on* the Acoustic® 360 18†bass cab

New Effects (9)
- Distortion > Obsidian 7000 (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Darkglass Electronics® Microtubes B7K Ultra bass preamp/overdrive/EQ
- Distortion > Clawthorn Drive (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Wounded Paw Battering Ram bass overdrive
- Dynamics > 3-Band Comp (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original multiband compressor
- Dynamics > Auto Swell (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
- Modulation > PlastiChorus (Mono, Stereo), based on* the modded Arion SCH-Z chorus
- Delay > Vintage Swell (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
- Delay > Adriatic Swell (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
- Pitch/Synth > 3 Note Generator (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
- Pitch/Synth > 4 OSC Generator (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
* All product names are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with Line 6.

New Features
- Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > Send MIDI Clock—Helix can now transmit MIDI clock to synchronize the tempo of external pedals, rack gear, and software. Select “Off†(Helix does not transmit clock), “MIDI†(Helix transmits clock from only the MIDI OUT jack), “USB†(Helix transmits clock only via USB), or “MIDI+USB†(Helix transmits clock from both MIDI and USB)
- Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > Receive MIDI Clock—Helix can now synchronize its time-based effects (such as delay and modulation) to incoming MIDI clock from external DAW software, drum machines, keyboard workstations, or other modelers. Select “Off†(Helix ignores MIDI clock), “MIDI†(Helix responds to clock received at its MIDI IN jack), “USB†(Helix responds to clock received via USB), or “Auto†(Helix uses its internal tempo generator until receiving clock from either MIDI or USB)
Variax Workbench HD Support—Variax can now communicate directly with Variax Workbench HD software (Mac/PC) through Helix via USB.
- Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > MIDI PC Send/Receive has been split into two separate parameters—MIDI PC Receive and MIDI PC Send—and moved to Page 2. In addition, you may choose whether Helix sends or receives MIDI PC (program change) messages to/from MIDI, USB, both, or neither
Clear Bypass Assignment—Individual blocks’ bypass assignments can now be cleared. From the Bypass Assign screen, select the block whose bypass assignment(s) you wish to clear. Press ACTION and then Knob 1 (Clear Assignments).
- Line 6 Allure Pack IRs—Dan Boul of 65 Amps has created a pack of six user impulse responses for use with Helix or any other modeler or software that supports them. Download the free Allure Pack here: http://line6.com/allure/

Improvements/Changes
- Optimized GUI engine speeds up navigation and model selection
- Receive MIDI Clock and Send MIDI Clock have also been added to the Tempo panel shortcut. At any time, touch TAP to open the Tempo panel.
- When slaved to external MIDI clock, TAP’s scribble strip text grays out and its switch LED ring flashes blue
- Reverb > Plate, Room, Chamber, Hall, Echo, Tile, Cave, Ducking, and Octo have all been optimized to be less DSP-intensive
- Pitch > Pitch Wham, Twin Harmony, Simple Pitch, Dual Pitch, and 3 OSC Synth have all been optimized to be less DSP-intensive
- Non-selected Pedal Edit parameter switches now reflect dim block color
- Inactive Looper function switches now appear as dim white
- Additions to and improvements made to the existing factory preset bundle

Bug Fixes
- In very rare cases, corrupted presets containing a Volume/Pan > Volume Pedal block can cause volume to drop to 0% - FIXED
- Certain Roland keyboards constantly spit out active sensing MIDI messages (with no way to disable them), which could affect Helix’s MIDI transmission - FIXED
- The Channel Volume taper for the Archetype amp model was incorrect - FIXED
- Many other minor bug fixes and optimizations

Known Issues
- If a Variax guitar is connected to Helix, MIDI channel 16 should never be used, as channel 16 is how Variax Workbench communicates with the guitar. This is by design. On a related note, Variax Workbench should never be used while MIDI tracks are armed or playing back in your DAW
- In rare cases, Helix may freeze when very rapidly changing presets while receiving MIDI clock
- Helix’s blue TAP LED flashes but tempo is not actually synced unless an audio device is selected in Ableton Live
- Subtle stepping may be heard when adjusting the main VOLUME knob while audio is present
- If a user fails to read and follow the update instructions, Helix will engage Snapshot 2 in preset 8 Templates > 32D every day at 4:30 AM
  • Upvote 15

Just extracted the files. The Allure IR pack includes:

The IRs
• Allure_59_Tweed_P10N.wav
• Allure_64_A30_G12.wav
• Allure_64_USDeluxe_P12N.wav
• Allure_67_Brit_Greenback.wav
• Allure_70s_WhoWatt_100.wav
• Allure_90s_Cali_V30.wav

Well, one of the things I thought the Helix was lacking in options for was the Bass Guitar. With FW 2.20 that will no longer be the case!

As a studio musician (and producer), I work with many instruments, (most virtual) and while I do not own a bass guitar, I do have some rather nice bass guitar sampler plugins from Ample Sound. They are all dry tracked, and this will give me more avenues of shaping, and fine tuning my bass guitar tones. 

Its also rather nice the one guitar amp model in the list is a new line 6 high gain original.  That is what I was wanting other than maybe the Bogner XTC.

More Helix Cabs, and IR pack.  

I was expecting a big FW update for Helix, but I wasn't expecting it in February, I was expecting it more like late March, perhaps early April.  I am happy to see that Line 6 is still so passionately invested in the Helix platform.

Good Show Line 6!

I really like the optimizations noted; that gives us all the more flexibility with the creation of patches by maximizing the horsepower.

Outstanding.

From a parallel thread I'd seen on The Gear Page I note that it seems there's a fix which I gather is baked into this which addresses the EXP 1 value jumping issue.

Also excellent.

Kudos Line 6.

Gotta say, there's nothing in here that I see as being useful to me. Less DSP for reverbs and pitch will be nice, but would rather see them inproved instead. All the bass and variax stuff I won't use.

Still a super happy customer, just surprised at all the attention to bass. Glad others are into this.

• Upvote 2

Thank you DI and all at Line 6 you have made an "old man" very happy especially with Workbench intergration can you BOLD and Underline that point on the instruction download as this is a very important addition to us faithful Line 6 Variax users.

Once again thanks to all at Line 6 great job. :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 

• Upvote 2

I had really hoped to see some more bass oriented things for the Helix, and Line 6 came through. I did a small write up on my Galleon Krueger 4 wire setup with the Helix. Since then I have made some patchs with the flip top and mesa 400, and i am amazed at the versatility that's been added to my rig using the Helix. 

I cannot wait to hear the new bass models as well as the bass pedals. Like others have stated, I wasn't expecting an update this soon in the year. Very happy with the Helix so far and its development. Cannot wait to see what else Line 6 has in store for us. 

Yorke

• Upvote 1

- If a user fails to read and follow the update instructions, Helix will scare small woodland creatures back into their holes, triggering six more weeks of winter weather

Groundhog Day - noooooooooo! That's the looper!

Damn, Line 6 guys you have surpassed expectations - Auto Swell, MIDI clock & Variax Workbench integration.

Yippee ki-yay!

Gotta say, there's nothing in here that I see as being useful to me. Less DSP for reverbs and pitch will be nice, but would rather see them inproved instead. All the bass and variax stuff I won't use.

Still a super happy customer, just surprised at all the attention to bass. Glad others are into this.

Bass players really have been neglected since helix came out, this is why it's big news for them. Us guitar players have been spoiled. I too would have loved to of seen a cool friedman amp or overdrive pedal etc... but I'm happy with the volume swell which I have been asking for a long time and really should have been in the helix since beginning but it's there now and few more nice cabs to play with!

• Upvote 2

Man my helix sounds amazing just tried the Allure cabs they pair up pretty good with some of the Helix stock cabs...so far the 64 US Deluxe-  P12N sounds the best to me don"t  quote me on this but I think its a 50 watt Jensen Alnico.. They also sound great with Dual cabs and also split on 2 paths..