Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FW 2.20 (The "Get Low" Update) OUT NOW

Digital_Igloo

Does the Helix recognize the old Bass Variax? I've been wary of plugging it in until I know for sure it won't mess it up.

I've been using my Variax Bass with my Helix via VDI and no problems there. Same for my old Variax Acoustic 700. In terms of playing the instrument there have never been any issues.

Configuring my Variax Acoustic with Workbench via Helix connection is a different story, not possible for now. I understand this upcoming firmware will allow to configure JTV Variax and Variax Standard with Workbench HD via Helix connection. Now how about the old Workbench (non-HD) and Variax Acoustic 700? It's no biggie, still have the old USB Variax interface but it would be nice. Or allow using Variax Acoustic 700 with Workbench HD...

• Upvote 1

Sounds very very good! Can’t wait to update!!

But one question about MIDI clock: the posting says: “Receive MIDI Clock—Helix can now synchronize its time-based effects (such as delay and modulation) …“

What about the looper? Will it also be synced?

Sounds very very good! Can’t wait to update!!

But one question about MIDI clock: the posting says: “Receive MIDI Clock—Helix can now synchronize its time-based effects (such as delay and modulation) …“

What about the looper? Will it also be synced?

It could be synced in that the start and end points could be quantised to the clock - this would at least mean that the loop will not drift because you can't hit a pedal to the precise hundredth of a second.

But I agree that there will be subsequent problems if the tempo was changed. So fine for syncing to single tempo electronic drum tracks, but useless for anything else.

• Upvote 1

Some great stuff coming in this update!   :)

I've not really used Helix with my bass guitar yet - only my double bass - so maybe 2.20 will be a good time to try it out.

The Swell delay FX look interesting, and MIDI sync will be great for keeping delays and mods in time with my loops - I'm using and iPad/iPhone with Loopy and Group The Loop, so not too fussed about sync of the Helix looper - though I guess the option to get it to quantise starts and stops to MIDI beats might be useful.

What I would like is the option for Helix's Looper foot layout to be able to send MIDI notes or ccs to external loopers and disable the internal looper - it would save having to use the Stomp Footswitches to control the external looper.

the sunn amps hendrix used- were they actually bass amps like these?

Not really. Hendrix used amps like the 1200s and other tube amps, while the late-era, but pre-Fender Sunn stuff was all solid state. Theyre known for being super powerful and having a unique transistor-y distortion, which when used outside of the stoner-y genres of heavy music, is arguably pretty bad. 

• Upvote 1

WOW!!!

Not like Line 6 to give out any "early warnings" of whats on the burner?!?!?!?!

What gives DI?

I will say I like the change in policy here bro!!! Keep us on the edge of the seat...

And Hay, I am happy for the bass Guys, really... Enjoy brethren!!!  

Posting this photo from NAMM.

I didn't see the 4 OSC Generator on the floor models so I'm not sure what that's like. From what it was described as to me, I'd assume it's for lusher padlike synth sounds. I asked about the new pitch shifters being polyphonic. There seemed to be the same "it's hard to do and it's on the list response" though when I played with them it seemed less warbley than usual when I played chords but it was hard to tell with all the noise in the room. So it all could be in my head.

So question for digital igloo is: did the handling of polyphony improve in this updated pitch shifter or am I crazy?

post-742235-0-97480300-1485067124_thumb.jpg

Hello Helix Community. 

I’m a bass player (been posting over at Talkbass for years) who recently had all of his beloved older/vintage gear stolen including an SWR Mini Mo.  As much as I loved my old gear, the search for new equipment has led me to strongly believe I want to jump into the Helix + FRFR world for bass.  As part of my search, it’s clear bass players are comparatively marginalized (for business reasons I understand) and the information specific to bass players is found in small chunks all over the Web.  In light of the new Helix update, perhaps y’all would could consider a separate subforum for bass?

Regardless, I was at NAMM today and was disappointed that Line6 did not have any live demonstrations for bass.  It seems particularly disappointing given the bass-heavy update.  I had hoped to get a little more informed today at NAMM, but that didn’t really happen so I would appreciate feedback on the following:

1.       For someone who is a non-professional and likely to just be jamming in modest size studios (i.e., without FOH support) at what I think would be characterized at moderately loud levels, do I need the L3T over the L2T?  I’ve gotten mixed reports saying the L3T is better for bass in terms of sound, but others have said I probably won’t hear the difference for most of my situations (and I like the better portability of the L2Ts).   I’m fine with getting two L2Ts if that helps beat out the L3T.  For what it’s worth, I seem to prefer 10 inch speakers (Hartke 4 x 10 back in the days when I played and more recently my pair of SWR Goliath Jr. IIIs) and am also considering the Yamaha DXR10 (again, 2 if necessary).

2.       Has anyone had success at creating something akin to the Marcus Miller bass sound with their Helix?  I’m playing a Fender MM 4-string (which is an active Jazz bass modified to sound like …… well…….. Marcus Miller). 

Thanks in advance for any comments, thoughts, suggestions, etc.

Best,

MA

Hey all

In the upcoming 2.20 there is a Line 6 " Badonk " (?) ..... is this a Bass Amp or a Guitar Amp ?

Also, any idea what actual-real-world-amp it may loosely be modelled on ?

Ben

The Badonk is an update of the old Big Bottom from the pod X3. It's a line6 original guitar amp, high gain. I think it was a modified Rectifier originally, but its particular suited to bass-y metal guitars. Lots of Monuments, Periphery, Meshuggah type stuff used that sim.

Hello Helix Community.

I’m a bass player (been posting over at Talkbass for years) who recently had all of his beloved older/vintage gear stolen including an SWR Mini Mo. As much as I loved my old gear, the search for new equipment has led me to strongly believe I want to jump into the Helix + FRFR world for bass. As part of my search, it’s clear bass players are comparatively marginalized (for business reasons I understand) and the information specific to bass players is found in small chunks all over the Web. In light of the new Helix update, perhaps y’all would could consider a separate subforum for bass?

Regardless, I was at NAMM today and was disappointed that Line6 did not have any live demonstrations for bass. It seems particularly disappointing given the bass-heavy update. I had hoped to get a little more informed today at NAMM, but that didn’t really happen so I would appreciate feedback on the following:

1. For someone who is a non-professional and likely to just be jamming in modest size studios (i.e., without FOH support) at what I think would be characterized at moderately loud levels, do I need the L3T over the L2T? I’ve gotten mixed reports saying the L3T is better for bass in terms of sound, but others have said I probably won’t hear the difference for most of my situations (and I like the better portability of the L2Ts). I’m fine with getting two L2Ts if that helps beat out the L3T. For what it’s worth, I seem to prefer 10 inch speakers (Hartke 4 x 10 back in the days when I played and more recently my pair of SWR Goliath Jr. IIIs) and am also considering the Yamaha DXR10 (again, 2 if necessary).

2. Has anyone had success at creating something akin to the Marcus Miller bass sound with their Helix? I’m playing a Fender MM 4-string (which is an active Jazz bass modified to sound like …… well…….. Marcus Miller).

Thanks in advance for any comments, thoughts, suggestions, etc.

Best,

MA

I can answer question number one for you but not number two question number one You definitely would want to get the L3t it has two 10-inch drivers in it and a built-in crossover so one driver is for high-frequency the other driver is for low frequencies I'm not sure where the cutoff frequency is and it maybe different on the different settings on the back guitar definitely would not want to use L3t because you would never get into the frequency range to use the second driver unless you were doing dive bombs and stuff I found this out myself a long time ago when I plug directly into one of my L3t with my old eleven rack and didn't hear anything out one speaker at all and then realized as I am search surround and tried a base and then it magically was working so I will tell you if you wanted to have low bottom then you will need to L3t for a base and I do believe that's awesome choice.... the short version is there is a crossover so it's good for bass but not good for guitar or not to say not good but kind of a waste for guitar

WOW!!!

Not like Line 6 to give out any "early warnings" of whats on the burner?!?!?!?!

What gives DI?

I will say I like the change in policy here bro!!! Keep us on the edge of the seat...

And Hay, I am happy for the bass Guys, really... Enjoy brethren!!!  

I'm assuming that nothing has changed.  They can't speculate on possible future offerings because, if they don't deliver, there could be legal repercussions.  This update isn't vaporware; it already exists and they're probably just continuing the debugging process to polish it up prior to delivery.

I'm assuming that nothing has changed.  

Well, give or take a few decades Ive been here a "long" time and this policy has never taken place before- and it just ain't normal for Line 6 to give out "pre-release" information like this, vaperware or not. I hope Line 6 keeps it up too. I'd like to thank them and the Yamaha Corporation for the better late than never policy change.  :D 

Great news for Bass users I guess!

But cmon, can we please address the basics first. still no level meters, and still no method for saving Global settings! I know I'll skip this update in the hope that the next one will contain at least the ability to save global settings...

Or maybe ill just buy a headrush pedal board.... Just joking, no one is that that damned potato!

Well, give or take a few decades Ive been here a "long" time and this policy has never taken place before- and it just ain't normal for Line 6 to give out "pre-release" information like this, vaperware or not. I hope Line 6 keeps it up too. I'd like to thank them and the Yamaha Corporation for the better late than never policy change.  :D 

I'd say that an event like NAMM is just generally accepted to be a place to announce future products. So I wouldn't expect this pre-release infor to become a regular thing. But I'm not sure about the legal side of things, at all...

Helix FW 2.20 Preview (The "Get Low" Update)

AVAILABLE IN FEBRUARY—DON'T GO LOOKING FOR IT!

New Amps
Line 6 Badonk, all new Line 6 original inspired by the original high gain Big Bottom model
Del Sol 300, based on* the Sunn® Coliseum 300 bass amp
Woody Blue, based on* the Acoustic® 360 bass amp
Busy One Ch1, based on* channel 1 of the Pearce BC-1 bass preamp
Busy One Ch2, based on* channel 2 of the Pearce BC-1 bass preamp
Busy One Jump, based on* channel 1 and 2 (jumped) of the Pearce BC-1 bass preamp

New Hybrid Cabs
1x12 Match H30, based on* the Matchless® DC-30 cab (12†G12H30 speaker)
1x12 Match G25, based on* the Matchless® DC-30 cab (12†Greenback 25 speaker)
1x12 Cali IV, based on* the MESA/Boogie® Mk IV 12†cab
1x12 Cali EXT, based on* the MESA/Boogie® 12†extension cab (EVM12L speaker)
1x12 Del Sol, based on* the Sunn® Coliseum 300 bass cab (12†speaker)
1x18 Del Sol, based on* the Sunn® Coliseum 300 bass cab (18†speaker)
1x18 Woody Blue, based on* the Acoustic® 360 18†bass cab

New Effects
- Dynamics > Auto Swell (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
- Distortion > Obsidian 7000 (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Darkglass Electronics® Microtubes B7K Ultra bass preamp/overdrive/EQ
- Distortion > Clawthorn Drive (Mono, Stereo), based on* the Wounded Paw Battering Ram bass overdrive
- Delay > Vintage Swell (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
- Delay > Adriatic Swell (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
- Pitch/Synth > 4 OSC Generator (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
* All product names are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with Line 6.

New Features
- Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > Send MIDI Clock—Helix can now transmit MIDI clock to synchronize the tempo of external pedals, rack gear, and software. Select “Off†(Helix does not transmit clock), “MIDI†(Helix transmits clock from only the MIDI OUT jack), “USB†(Helix transmits clock only via USB), or “MIDI+USB†(Helix transmits clock from both MIDI and USB)
- Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > Receive MIDI Clock—Helix can now synchronize its time-based effects (such as delay and modulation) to incoming MIDI clock from external DAW software, drum machines, keyboard workstations, or other modelers. Select “Off†(Helix ignores MIDI clock), “MIDI†(Helix responds to clock received at its MIDI IN jack), “USB†(Helix responds to clock received via USB), or “Auto†(Helix uses its internal tempo generator until receiving clock from either MIDI or USB)
Variax Workbench HD Support—Variax can now communicate directly with Variax Workbench HD software (Mac/PC) through Helix via USB.
Clear Bypass Assignment—Individual blocks’ bypass assignments can now be cleared. From the Bypass Assign screen, select the block whose bypass assignment(s) you wish to clear. Press ACTION and then Knob 1 (Clear Assignments).
- Line 6 Allure Pack IRs—Dan Boul of 65 Amps has created a pack of six user impulse responses for use with Helix or any other modeler or software that supports them. Download the free Allure Pack here: http://line6.com/allure/

Improvements/Changes
Receive MIDI Clock and Send MIDI Clock have also been added to the Tempo panel shortcut. At any time, touch TAP to open the Tempo panel.
- Reverb > Plate, Room, Chamber, Hall, Echo, Tile, Cave, Ducking, and Octo have all been optimized to be less DSP-intensive
- Pitch > Pitch Wham, Twin Harmony, Simple Pitch, Dual Pitch, and 3 OSC Synth have all been optimized to be less DSP-intensive
- Additions to and improvements made to the existing factory preset bundle
- If a user fails to read and follow the update instructions, Helix will scare small woodland creatures back into their holes, triggering six more weeks of winter weather

Awesome update coming our way!

Two questions please (though I'm afraid I know the answers):

1) Old Workbench (non-HD) support? (for my Variax Acoustic 700)

2) Receiving MIDI clock - will Helix receive "beat information" so that modulation effects with note-based tempo will start their internal cycle (flange/phase...) on the first beat in a bar? (I understand it's not that easy, just which bar do I mean exactly, right?)

I suppose the answers are "no" and it's fine, I understand, just in case there is any info/reasoning about that available...

Thanks anyway, looking forward to the update! (and Helix Native!!)

I'd say that an event like NAMM is just generally accepted to be a place to announce future products. So I wouldn't expect this pre-release infor to become a regular thing. But I'm not sure about the legal side of things, at all...

Yes events like NAMM is when nearly all the Companies announce what they have new. But that still doesn't change or reflect in the way that Line6 has announced their status on updates in the past. I'm so glad that they are NOW pre-releasing status reports and update lists/news and product information. 

As a new user of Helix, I`m really glad that Line 6 has focused the new update on bass players... I think that it was something that the Helix was really lacking in the past... I`m also looking forward to playing with the new Badonk amp... I`ve had the Helix for a month and I`d love you people to develop a model of the Electro-Harmonix Bad Stone or a Line 6 Original Phaser not as subtle as the Script Mod Phaser... I have to plug my own Boss PH-3 in the fx return in order to get those wacky psychodelic sounds I love so much... As far as I can tell, the Deluxe Phaser is not up to the other effects quality, just sounds very weird in an awful way... That`s the only thing missing from the Helix to be called an awesome product... And bring please the Dimension Chorus... That would be a great improvement...

Good job Line 6 with the steady and solid updating scheme... I`ve been a customer since POD X3 and bought every new modeling product since... And I can say that I never felt totally dissapointed.

WOW!!! Not like Line 6 to give out any "early warnings" of whats on the burner?!?!?!?! What gives DI?

Nothin' much; we just didn't want to leave anyone hanging for NAMM. If there was no trade show, we probably would've waited until release.

1) Old Workbench (non-HD) support? (for my Variax Acoustic 700)

2) Receiving MIDI clock - will Helix receive "beat information" so that modulation effects with note-based tempo will start their internal cycle (flange/phase...) on the first beat in a bar? (I understand it's not that easy, just which bar do I mean exactly, right?)

1) Sadly, no. Variax Workbench support requires an update to the software itself, and a large chunk of the original Workbench software would probably have to be re-written.

2) It's on the list of things we'd love to get to, but we're not committing to LFO reset for 2.20.

• Upvote 1

Nothin' much; we just didn't want to leave anyone hanging for NAMM. If there was no trade show, we probably would've waited until release.

Yes events like NAMM is when nearly all the Companies announce what they have new. But that still doesn't change or reflect in the way that Line6 has announced their status on updates in the past. I'm so glad that they are NOW pre-releasing status reports and update lists/news and product information. 

Well I try and give um the benefit of a doubt and DI/Line 6 craps all over that. I guess I'll just quit trying to praise them when they refuse to earn it...

If a new firmware is demonstrated at NAMM, the information about it has essentially been released to the public even if the firmware has not been officially yet. At that point, by providing the preliminary release notes, you are ensuring the larger pool of users, rather than just the ones that attended NAMM know the details. I don't think this necessarily heralds an entirely new policy regarding transparency on future Helix modifications. It may be a first (don't remember this being done before) that the future firmware release notes were provided rather than just the usual NAMM summary bullet points you see after a NAMM show detailing new features on devices demonstrated there.

1) Sadly, no. Variax Workbench support requires an update to the software itself, and a large chunk of the original Workbench software would probably have to be re-written.

2) It's on the list of things we'd love to get to, but we're not committing to LFO reset for 2.20.

Cool, thanks! Sorry for no Workbench support but anyway I don't use it very often as there is not that much to do in it (compared to HD).

Ad 2) Just a reminder of a functionality that was available on POD HD - one press of Tap Tempo restarted internal LFO. Very useful for me when playing live with our drummer who was using a click: POD HD presets had song tempo stored matching the drummer's tempo, I just synced the LFO with the drummer at the beginning of a song, no worries about messing up the tempo by multiple taps...

Ideascaled here: http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/One-Tap-press-to-reset-mod-FX-cycle/824525-23508

I can answer question number one for you but not number two question number one You definitely would want to get the L3t it has two 10-inch drivers in it and a built-in crossover so one driver is for high-frequency the other driver is for low frequencies I'm not sure where the cutoff frequency is and it maybe different on the different settings on the back guitar definitely would not want to use L3t because you would never get into the frequency range to use the second driver unless you were doing dive bombs and stuff I found this out myself a long time ago when I plug directly into one of my L3t with my old eleven rack and didn't hear anything out one speaker at all and then realized as I am search surround and tried a base and then it magically was working so I will tell you if you wanted to have low bottom then you will need to L3t for a base and I do believe that's awesome choice.... the short version is there is a crossover so it's good for bass but not good for guitar or not to say not good but kind of a waste for guitar

Thanks for the input.  Much appreciated.

MA

I don't think this necessarily heralds an entirely new policy regarding transparency on future Helix modifications.

It's not. We greatly prefer to drop firmware updates on people's heads. NAMM is the exception; we didn't want our Helix users thinking we forgot about 'em.

POD HD presets had song tempo stored matching the drummer's tempo, I just synced the LFO with the drummer at the beginning of a song, no worries about messing up the tempo by multiple taps...

If/when LFO reset gets implemented in Helix, that's the implementation plan as well.

It's not. We greatly prefer to drop firmware updates on people's heads. NAMM is the exception; we didn't want our Helix users thinking we forgot about 'em.

As a user, I think I prefer you dumping it on our heads too. The first day you did this pre-announcement I was over the moon, but now... Knowing that I have to wait at least a week til February - almost certainly more - until I get my hand on all these goodies? It's taxing me. I want to be fine tuning my Obsidian settings for live shows now.