Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FW 2.20 (The "Get Low" Update) OUT NOW

Digital_Igloo

Feb is just a few days away, and it is also the shortest month of the year. Worst case scenario is a mere 5 weeks (absent a delay pushing fw 2.20 into March).

Then, another 5 weeks later, we're already a week into April and HELIX Native could be upon us.

Feb is just a few days away, and it is also the shortest month of the year. Worst case scenario is a mere 5 weeks (absent a delay pushing fw 2.20 into March).

An eternity!

I'm already digging out my dusty X3 to check my signal chain from my Big Bottom patches to see how it translates to the Badonk :P

I like what I am seeing in the new firmware, some major new functionality and bass players are probably rejoicing, any chance of throwing in a last minute fix to the jumpy tuner?  ;)

I'm going with a Polytune Clip. Line 6 can just work on more amp/effect models  :D

I'm going with a Polytune Clip. Line 6 can just work on more amp/effect models  :D

More amp/effect models is good too but right now the tuner fix is more important to me. Lots of workable tones and effects already but the tuner is really impacting the Helix in performance. Would prefer not to go to an external tuner solution. Anyway, I will try my best not to hijack this thread by belaboring the point.  :huh:

The Polytune Clip works great! I have two. I use them (and leave them set) in the more accurate strobe mode. I do not find the polyphonic mode as useful. HELIX's Tuner works okay for me. I would not be surprised to see Line 6 improve the stability/dampening and perhaps offer alternative display modes.

The Polytune Clip works great! I have two. I use them (and leave them set) in the more accurate strobe mode. I do not find the polyphonic mode as useful. HELIX's Tuner works okay for me. I would not be surprised to see Line 6 improve the stability/dampening and perhaps offer alternative display modes.

The tuner has become a hindrance to me, and was extremely frustrating to me at rehearsal again last night. I am ordering a Polytune clip this week. Then when the HX tuner algorithms are fine tuned later on down the road, I won't have to use the Clip any more. No biggie. 

It's just a personal preference thing for me. I am extremely OCD about tuning. It drives my wife nuts when I mess with my guitar setups and intonation for hours. I just tell her it's all part of my hobby. It's a sickness really, but you won't be able to accuse me of being out of tune no matter where I am on the fret board. 

What about the days where you had to rely on your ears to tune a guitar.

I remember when I got my first pitch pipe with ALL 6 NOTES! Such luxury! That was after years on a tuning fork. The Helix tuner is imperfect and I don't use it for setting intonation, but a little dose of perspective is occasionally a good thing :)

• Upvote 2

Perspective is indeed a great thing. We are now in the days of modeled guitar effects and amps in a fully digital format. It is indeed a time of great luxury.

This thread contains comments about the new firmware revision soon to come out. A few of us would like to see the tuner improved. It will most likely continued to get mentioned, the same as many requesting a model of the Mesa JP2-C or midi synchronization. We're just all a bunch of players that post what we crave, and our cravings differ from one another. Some of us are just a bit picky about our tuners, no biggie. 

• Upvote 1

I remember when I got my firts pitch pipe, too. ...I thought, how should I ever get my guitar tuned with this thing?! :huh: :lol:

(I was an absolut beginner at this time)

The new update looks nice, I see some interesting things. :) 

...an acoustic bass amp, but where is the acoustic guitar amp, line 6? :o

What about the days where you had to rely on your ears to tune a guitar. No string bending allowed that can detune it. Sorry for oil on the fire but its king of old ...and it creeps in all the threads lately.

This is a great point. As guitar players, I hope everyone here knows that one of the most important skills to possess is recognizing pitch with only using your ears and brain. Tuning by ear is just one small way to help develop that skill.

This is a great point. As guitar players, I hope everyone here knows that one of the most important skills to possess is recognizing pitch with only using your ears and brain. Tuning by ear is just one small way to help develop that skill.

Yep, that is exactly the point. Our ears recognize that there is an issue.  A digital tuner is a tool that gives us a quick visual feedback on the current condition. That visual tool allows us to make a very quick mechanical adjustments on the fly. The quick feedback is especially useful during a live situation so a very fast adjustment can be made. It is not a substitute for a good ear, just an enhancement for making a quick adjustment.

This is probably more suitable for a separate thread concerning the multiple philosophies of a tuner. So, I digress. 

I am still very excited about 2.20 and very much looking forward to it. 

• Upvote 1

Mention TUNER and hijack any Helix thread  :D

Ain't it the truth! I was hoping to make a quick and unobtrusive request for tuner stabilization to make it into this next firmware update. How naive of me to think this would not generate further thread hijacking debate. My bad.  I reiterate, there are some very substantial improvements already in this update, much appreciated, the ongoing develpment support for the Helix continues to impress.  :P

They should just delete the tuner completely on the next update...

Facebook-1d3fa8.png

Or.... they could just stabilize it!   :D

The Editor is going to be change so that Helix Native and the Editor look, sound and behave the same and swapping patches either direction between them is dead simple.  

To me that implies that they have to have done something about IR management in the next firmware release + editor otherwise the process of swapping patches between Native and Hardware is going to be a nightmare.

I remember DI mentioning, that we would understand at NAMM why they didn't change IR handling until now. I still don't understand it ;-)

As far as I can tell there is no change on that, so what's comming next?

I think he is referring to the "new" editor that is being released when Native comes out. Perhaps the new editor will have better IR file management tools. 

We said it'd hopefully be available in February, not on February 1st.

DI,

LOL, yea, I was just starting the initial countdown before doing the 28 day count down till the end of February.  Even then, it could be mid-March ... just adding my jovial nature to the comments! :D

Dennis

Ya'll realize, regardless of what anyone said at NAMM, the acronym NAMM stands for "Not Available'till Mid March"

As for the tuner...  I love it since the last update.  Took a minute or two to get used to looking at two things at once, but really really love it now.   And FWIW, I have a 10-string.  I finally don't mind just grabbing it and playing, cause it's so easy to tune now.

Ya'll realize, regardless of what anyone said at NAMM, the acronym NAMM stands for "Not Available'till Mid March"

Actually, I think the accepted meaning of that acronym is "Not Available, Maybe May"... March would be ambitious for most of the companies presenting. :D

I think the rules for new products presented at NAMM is that they're supposed to be available for purchase within the next calendar year.

• Upvote 2

Trying so hard to be patient, but I don't know about you guys, I'm ready for this update to happen! I've been using my Helix for bass in one of my bands and having more bass options just tickles me with excitement! Currently Ive been using the Valve Driver and EQ to achieve a good bass drive. I guess ignorance is bliss, but is there an estimated day in mind for the release?

Actually, I think the accepted meaning of that acronym is "Not Available, Maybe May"... March would be ambitious for most of the companies presenting. :D

I think the rules for new products presented at NAMM is that they're supposed to be available for purchase within the next calendar year.

LOL! 

Version 2.5 will give us four more years with trump if we lollipop up the installation.

Awesome looking update, btw

No politics please. I might be someone that would purposely lollipop the update if that was the case. Please make this one sanctuary from all of that.

• Upvote 2