Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FW 2.20 (The "Get Low" Update) OUT NOW

Digital_Igloo

The last official prediction was February. That means on or before the 28th. Set that as your anticipated date and you will likely be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.

I will try, just hyped up for this fantastic update! I can't wait to compare the Darkglass model to the real thing!

Did anyone see the Firmware thread get it's name updated to include the date at the end? (Jan 9, 2017). I got so excited seeing it was different, then realized it wasn't THE update. Can't wait!

Yeah, I updated it because a few people were looking at the original thread date and thinking that's when we last updated Helix. That's all.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I updated it because a few people were looking at the original thread date and thinking that's when we last updated Helix. That's all.

That makes sense. You must get so sick of the weird dichotomy of reactions to the helix: the rabid hounds sniffing after any new information or update (myself included), and those who want to find grounds for criticism (like a last update of Feb 2016).

You must get so sick of the weird dichotomy of reactions to the helix: the rabid hounds sniffing after any new information or update (myself included), and those who want to find grounds for criticism (like a last update of Feb 2016).

Nah, it's just karma for when I used to troll Harmony Central forums back in the 90s.  :D

• Upvote 3

DI thanks for renaming and explicitly including the date and vers. in the "Latest Helix Firmware...) thread.

Obviously, the Forums are such that a Thread's original posting date persists.

It has always struck me oddly that Line 6 opted to multi post successive firmware updates to the same ever growing original thread, rather than simply generating a new pinned thread for each new firmware update (and pasting into it the predecessor content, if desired) and allowing the older threads to flow accordingly.

It would not surprise me that this has confused numerous Helix owners.

Hi Guys! , this update seems that its going to be Amazing! , I have been waiting for the midi clock slave for a while , I have just one more thing that I know would make the helix perfect , and that is the tracking with the pitch effects   and Synths , can that be improved , would it be??

I am interested to see how the "4 Osc Synth" will sound. Anything that makes it easier to get violin, sax, harmonica type sounds is welcome as the keyboardist or I routinely have to cover those parts or adapt them for our band. I like traveling light so if I don't have to carry a GR-55 and a hex pickup guitar around with me, all the better.

I am interested to see how the "4 Osc Synth" will sound. Anything that makes it easier to get violin, sax, harmonica type sounds is welcome as the keyboardist or I routinely have to cover those parts or adapt them for our band. I like traveling light so if I don't have to carry a GR-55 and a hex pickup guitar around with me, all the better.

It's not a 4-OSC synth; it's a generator that runs on its own. You trigger it from momentary switches like bass pedals. :)

Would you mind describing some of the use case you are doing that would require this? I suspect the community would benefit from this.

Two come to mind immediately for me

- I play in one band that uses a drum machine which can send MIDI clock. If I can slave to that, I don't have to worry about (correctly) tapping temp for my delays. Yes, I can program presets that have the tempo baked in, but when you use the same preset for 8 songs, all at different tempos...

- Another band, we occasionally have tracks. The computer that drives that can also send out a MIDI track - useful to me to change presets and snapshots. And now, tempo. Mid-song tempo changes, it helps.

Would you mind describing some of the use case you are doing that would require this? I suspect the community would benefit from this.

I too have been desperate for this feature just hoping it would get added so this update is more than welcome.

I too use a drum machine but also play with Live and a bunch of stand alone synths with built in sequencers. I either need to get Helix delays (an effect I use extensively and in a rhythmic context) to follow a master MIDI tempo (best option) or use Helix as a master clock for everything else (bit unwieldy but workable). So slave to a MIDI clock is critical for me too.

I have two things in mind... The first would be syncing my Strymon Mobius with the Helix automatically. Once the Helix is able to send MIDI clock, it will make it virtually seamless to use MIDI clock enabled pedals with the Helix. The other thing that would be nice is having the Helix sync automatically to Reaper when recording.

• Upvote 1

Gold for me too, to master the RC300 looper tempo with the Helix tempo. Game changer. :)

Gold for me too, to master the RC300 looper tempo with the Helix tempo. Game changer. :)

but the darn RC-300 wont slave to MIDI (only act as a master).  :( . If only....

But at least the Helix becomes part of the tempo chain.

but the darn RC-300 wont slave to MIDI (only act as a master).  :( . If only....

But at least the Helix becomes part of the tempo chain.

Not a biggie for me. I can use an extra footswitch on the RC300 to tap tempo there, instead on the Helix. Hope this works, or would be a meh! 

It's not. We greatly prefer to drop firmware updates on people's heads. NAMM is the exception; we didn't want our Helix users thinking we forgot about 'em.

If/when LFO reset gets implemented in Helix, that's the implementation plan as well.

What does LFO reset not being implemented actually mean? How does Helix calculate the starting point of the waveform? Is MIDI clock just giving Helix tempo information? What's the point, then? I can enter tempo information manually, but I need Helix to know at least where the main beat of the song is, otherwise clock sync is quite unuseful. MIDI clock is not about tempo, it's about downbeats. Fact is there is no relevant information about how Helix deals with certain things, and as of now it's impossible to have predictable results, which is a quite crucial thing about a musical instrument. How can I have a tremolo waveform synced to my click? Is there any workaround? If I need a square tremolo on the downbeat acting like a slicer, how can I obtain that? 

Anyway.. At least it looks like we're getting there..

Thanks

If your MIDI keyboard can trigger CCs, yes. I'm not aware of one that can assign them to the keys, but many can assign them to pads.

Sounds like it's time to start trolling Craigslist for "curb alert" organs and brushing up on my Arduino programming skills!

Helix FW 2.20 Preview (The "Get Low" Update)

When is this due? Sooner the better

Sometime in Feb. No one who knows can say exactly when (if anybody DOES know yet).

We do know that they showed a functioning beta (or maybe that was an "alpha") at NAMM, so we know they are working on it.

We'll hopefully have a feature complete version for QA this week. Then it's continued testing and bug fixing, which isn't a small effort.

Do you know what programming language is used by your developers for the helix unit itself and the helix edit application for windows.. just out of interest?

We'll hopefully have a feature complete version for QA this week. Then it's continued testing and bug fixing, which isn't a small effort.

Wow! If only it could hit the streets for Mardi Gras then it really would be - Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Thanks for all your efforts and keep up the great work guys.