Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FW 2.20 (The "Get Low" Update) OUT NOW

Digital_Igloo

I'm sure the people working on it want it to be released more than users want it... They just want it be done right.

We've been through this before (X3 Live *wink* *wink*)..... tis not a big deal. I'd rather wait a month or two for the release/update than deal with a buggy Helix.

I'm a technical lead on a large development project. I know what it means to want to get it right, and I agree I'd rather have it "right" than have it "right now". Was just commenting on the fact that I would have had a lot of time to play with it today. No rush.

And besides. It's still snowing. Could be snowed in yet another day tomorrow.......... (is that 10 ellipses?)

Given the fact that this is taking longer than expected... why don´t we ask Line 6 for a couple more models to be included in the 2.20 firmware update? I guess that the huge delay has primarily to do with the Variax Workbench HD stuff coding... which is not even remotely interesting to those who don´t own a Variax guitar... So... who would like to join me with this new mantra????

Too damn long, we´d like to have some more

Too damn long, we´d like to have some more...

Until we finally get the update... hahahahaa. Put the Diezels and the "Evil Randy" amp models and I´ll forget about everything... I promess.

Love you guys from Line 6.

Given the fact that this is taking longer than expected... why don´t we ask Line 6 for a couple more models to be included in the 2.20 firmware update? I guess that the huge delay has primarily to do with the Variax Workbench HD stuff coding... which is not even remotely interesting to those who don´t own a Variax guitar... So... who would like to join me with this new mantra????

Too damn long, we´d like to have some more...

Until we finally get the update... hahahahaa. Put the Diezels and the "Evil Randy" amp models and I´ll forget about everything... I promess.

Love you guys from Line 6.

Or we could just get it when we get it? If we ask for more stuff in there, that'll just take even LONGER for it to arrive. We know they're working on more tasty treats for future releases, and those releases will also come when they're properly finished and tested.

• Upvote 1

If you're going to start a chant or form a drum circle ;), you might as well expand the horizon and ask for 3.0! :D

I haven't had enough coffee yet today, so my ambition is low. 

Maybe instead of 3.0.................wait for it........................

FREE HELIX NATIVE FOR ALL CURRENT HELIX OWNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(going to get more coffee)

Be careful guys. There was a time when Line 6 would give you no heads up as to the status of an upgrade until it was ready because of all the bad comments they got when they were late. DI has been very good at keeping us informed and if you like that to continue, be patient and just let it come out. If you get too cantankerous, we may lose our updates on how it's going again. It hasn't gotten really bad, but the last time there was an upgrade update blackout, this is how it started. Just sayin'.

• Upvote 4

Be careful guys. There was a time when Line 6 would give you no heads up as to the status of an upgrade until it was ready because of all the bad comments they got when they were late. DI has been very good at keeping us informed and if you like that to continue, be patient and just let it come out. If you get too cantankerous, we may lose our updates on how it's going again. It hasn't gotten really bad, but the last time there was an upgrade update blackout, this is how it started. Just sayin'.

Agreed, these words should be heeded.

• Upvote 1

You're getting three new models because of the wait, remember? It's in this very thread.

Sorry DI, I already know... I didn´t mean to be disrespectful...  :(

You already know you guys rock... It´s like we`re hardcore fans of you and can`t help it. Been with you since the POD X3... never looked back.

Sorry DI, I already know... I didn´t mean to be disrespectful...  :(

You already know you guys rock... It´s like we`re hardcore fans of you and can`t help it. Been with you since the POD X3... never looked back.

Ah, I'm just being snarky too. You're all good, amigo.  :)

2.20's feature complete and been in beta for about a week and a half now. We added one tiny extra feature as well, but it's nothing to write home about:

- Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > MIDI PC Send/Receive has been split into two separate parameters—MIDI PC Receive and MIDI PC Send—and moved to Page 2. In addition, you may choose whether Helix sends or receives MIDI PC (program change) messages to/from MIDI, USB, both, or neither

I may have mentioned it elsewhere, but Ben and Sam are neck-deep on models for 2.30. No clue when it'll drop.

• Upvote 5

2.20's feature complete and been in beta for about a week and a half now. We added one tiny extra feature as well, but it's nothing to write home about:

- Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > MIDI PC Send/Receive has been split into two separate parameters—MIDI PC Receive and MIDI PC Send—and moved to Page 2. In addition, you may choose whether Helix sends or receives MIDI PC (program change) messages to/from MIDI, USB, both, or neither

I may have mentioned it elsewhere, but Ben and Sam are neck-deep on models for 2.30. No clue when it'll drop.

The breaking out of MIDI PC send and receive actions is a great feature.  I actually ran into that problem when using the Helix with Apple Sound Stage two weeks ago.  I ended up writing a Arduino MIDI filter to block the propagation of PC's back to the to application.  Guess I'll be able to get my Arduino back soon.  Thanks.

Wow ..... thanks  ^^^^^   ... great to know  :)  :)  :)

As an aside ..... I know I sound like a broken record about this ...... but if you have ever owned / played a DC30  original or clone - or a really great AC30 - and you love "that"  sound ...... do yourself a MASSIVE favor

- start a new blank Preset

- load up the stock Bluebell Cab and stock Silver Bell Cab and run them in a 50/50 split

- load up the Matchstick 1 or 2 ..... and set the Bias to  ~6.8  and the Bias X to around 2.2

- Put a "Minotaur"  in-front of the Amp with these settings  0.2 Gain / 5.3 Tone / 6.3 Level  [freaky because this is exactly what you would do with a "real" DC30]

- Tweak and EQ to your hearts content and you will get anything from pristine cleans  to  thick-chimey cleans to crunchy crunchs  to  hard-crunch ...

Regardless of platform / brand etc.... this my friends is as good as modelling gets.

Enjoy !  :)

Ben

• Upvote 1

Hi together, I´m a new Helix owner and I love it so much-best guitar sound I ever had! But there´s one big question: As far as I understand, there´s no possibiltiy to use my Behringer BCR 2000 Midicontroller to adjust all the knobs (Volume, Mid etc.). Is there anything planned in coming updates? Would be great, the Helix has a Midi in... Or is it already possible and i just don´t see it? Greetings from Germany :-) Hajo

• Upvote 1

Hi together, I´m a new Helix owner and I love it so much-best guitar sound I ever had! But there´s one big question: As far as I understand, there´s no possibiltiy to use my Behringer BCR 2000 Midicontroller to adjust all the knobs (Volume, Mid etc.). Is there anything planned in coming updates? Would be great, the Helix has a Midi in... Or is it already possible and i just don´t see it? Greetings from Germany :-) Hajo

It's already possible to control parameters with MIDI. It's very easy to set up actually. On the Helix, when you're on the home screen for the effect you want to control, hold down the knob underneath the parameter you want to tie to the controller. That will take you to the Controller Assign screen. On the right hand side of the screen, you'll see "Learn Controller". Hit that knob. Next, just turn the knob on your controller that you want to use. Once you do that, the two are tied together. You can set the min and max values on that screen then.

• Upvote 3

Just got home on my morning off from running a few errands, fired up my Helix and loaded up my OCD boosted archetype preset ( my go-to metal sound) and proceeded to blast riffs and leads for just a few minutes before hanging up the guitar and stepping back and thinking "man, fuck an update, my tone is awesome!

• Upvote 2

Just got home on my morning off from running a few errands, fired up my Helix and loaded up my OCD boosted archetype preset ( my go-to metal sound) and proceeded to blast riffs and leads for just a few minutes before hanging up the guitar and stepping back and thinking "man, lollipop an update, my tone is awesome!

Glad you're getting outstanding tones!

But, Shush!!!!

Don't give L6 another reason to hold back 2.20. If it doesn't drop today, it won't (likely) drop on a Friday -- much less St. Patrick's Day --, so that would push it to next week (at the earliest).

BTW, All 8 fw releases from 1.06.5 through 2.12 were released on a Mon, Tue or Wed.

Glad you're getting outstanding tones!

But, Shush!!!!

Don't give L6 another reason to hold back 2.20. If it doesn't drop today, it won't (likely) drop on a Friday -- much less St. Patrick's Day --, so that would push it to next week (at the earliest).

BTW, All 8 fw releases from 1.06.5 through 2.12 were released on a Mon, Tue or Wed.

Shush yourself! You're unraveling my reverse psychology! I'm hoping an attitude like mine in the post above would bring on a quicker update!

As the song says.. "The waiting is the hardest part...." Heh.... I'm old enough/been at this long enough to remember when a "Firmware Update" meant installing a new PROM chip... Ax-Sys 212 anyone?

I did that to upgrade my first POD as well! From POD 1 to POD 2 :P

An interesting trend:

1.06.5 released - TUE, Feb 16, 16
1.10.0 released - TUE, Mar 29, 16
1.12.0 released - WED, May 11, 16
2.00.0 released - WED, Jul 6, 16
2.01.0 released - WED, Jul 20, 16
2.10.0 released - TUE, Nov 22, 16
2.11.0 released - MON, Dec 5, 16
2.12.0 released - MON, Jan 9, 17

Here's looking to the Mon, Tue, or Wed of next week or following....

An interesting trend:

1.06.5 released - TUE, Feb 16, 16

1.10.0 released - TUE, Mar 29, 16

1.12.0 released - WED, May 11, 16

2.00.0 released - WED, Jul 6, 16

2.01.0 released - WED, Jul 20, 16

2.10.0 released - TUE, Nov 22, 16

2.11.0 released - MON, Dec 5, 16

2.12.0 released - MON, Jan 9, 17

Here's looking to the Mon, Tue, or Wed of next week or following....

Heh, that is some fine research right there! It makes sense to release firmware towards the beginning of the week.. That way if there is a problem that has to be addressed immediately your developers are not required to fight fires over the weekend (not that I'm saying the L6 developers don't spend weekends, holidays, bonus leap year days, and sick days working on new models ;)  ).

This is a very useful info to the users. Everyone can read now that it goes forward in a good way. Please write us users more infos like this one.

Beta testing is not more that far away from release than alpha ;-)

Now everyone please don't ask them anymore when it comes. You can allready see it on the horizon.

Line6 support / management / progarmmers: What if you put out a public beta? The chance to get good bug reports are way bigger with diffrent users

and of course diffrent scenarios. Public beta is always a difficult thing but not impossible. You could have a faster and much more bug reporting than

in your laboratories ;-) Next step then is LISTEN to the users :-D

• Upvote 1

It's already possible to control parameters with MIDI. It's very easy to set up actually. On the Helix, when you're on the home screen for the effect you want to control, hold down the knob underneath the parameter you want to tie to the controller. That will take you to the Controller Assign screen. On the right hand side of the screen, you'll see "Learn Controller". Hit that knob. Next, just turn the knob on your controller that you want to use. Once you do that, the two are tied together. You can set the min and max values on that screen then.

Wow, I really like this idea, both for Helix parameter control and for my soft synths as well.  Thanks for bringing this up!

As the song says.. "The waiting is the hardest part...." Heh.... I'm old enough/been at this long enough to remember when a "Firmware Update" meant installing a new PROM chip... Ax-Sys 212 anyone?

Had one, but I never replaced a PROM chip in it.  I think I remember reading about it though.  For its time, that was a great little amp. 

giphy.gif

Its gonna be awesome, I just know it!

Can you imagine this being in a modern day cartoon?  Man the things they used to get away with.  :D