Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FW 2.20 (The "Get Low" Update) OUT NOW

Digital_Igloo

guitarlory,

I don't think you're a troll, I do think perhaps you are never going to be fully happy with any of these units, but I'm glad you found one that makes your life and your job easier.

I will say you SHOULD keep current on firmware, but the delays are not any different sounding in this update I don't think.

Thanks Peter,

I'm going to try 2.20 this evening... the swells are anyway one of the effects I was used to use with XT Live and actually I emulate them with volume pedal.

Guitarlory, I was in doubt whether to respond to you. After your post #477 I thought "why bother", but your post #478 made me turn that.

First of all, it's my impression that the general attitude in this forum is that people are really trying to help each other. English is not my native language either, so sometimes some is lost in translation.

I can understand why some people react to your post(s) as they do, because with a certain frequency guys show up on this forum that only complain about the Helix and don't seem to appreciate any advice. It's all negativity, and I can understand that that is sometimes tiring for some people here.

I must admit that my first impression of your posts on this thread was not really inviting to respond. This thread is on the content of a new firmware update and you were complaining about things that are not in there as opposed to what is in there. Besides the point often mentioned that one should not buy something for what it may become, but buy it for what it is, you started out with mainly negativity. The common reaction is that you get back negativity. Despite that, there were some guys that really trying to help. To me it seemed that you weren't really open to help, and that may well be a language thing as you indicated you're no native speaker either.

But we all have to realize that Line 6 is not making the Helix only for me or you, but they follow their philosophy in how to serve "all users" best. For you, the amps are not that important but for me the current delays are fine. And I think reverb sucks period, so what's in there is more than sufficient for my needs. Stating that the quality of competitors is better means nothing. You might as well be stating that you like the effects/amps/cabs that were used for the modeling by the competitor better than the ones that were used by Line 6. That can be a legit argument, but then why not get the competitor's tool? And if the competitor is really higher quality to you and that's the most important thing to you, why not go for that?

The issue you're experiencing with the 4CM may be real or you may be able to improve with some help. I don't know, but Digital_Igloo has been trying to help there. You've obviously not experienced that as help, but as a bystander it certainly looked like that. But in order to being helped, you have to be open for help.

Only you can decide if the Helix suits your needs. Nothing is perfect, so it's all about concessions (hey, I'm Dutch 😉). Whether you're able to live with the downsides is totally up to you. If you can, try to see if the advice you get can help you move it to a higher level. If you can't, Helix may not be for you ...

All in respect man, just my two cents

• Upvote 1

Guitarlory, I was in doubt whether to respond to you. After your post #477 I thought "why bother", but your post #478 made me turn that.

First of all, it's my impression that the general attitude in this forum is that people are really trying to help each other. English is not my native language either, so sometimes some is lost in translation.

I can understand why some people react to your post(s) as they do, because with a certain frequency guys show up on this forum that only complain about the Helix and don't seem to appreciate any advice. It's all negativity, and I can understand that that is sometimes tiring for some people here.

I must admit that my first impression of your posts on this thread was not really inviting to respond. This thread is on the content of a new firmware update and you were complaining about things that are not in there as opposed to what is in there. Besides the point often mentioned that one should not buy something for what it may become, but buy it for what it is, you started out with mainly negativity. The common reaction is that you get back negativity. Despite that, there were some guys that really trying to help. To me it seemed that you weren't really open to help, and that may well be a language thing as you indicated you're no native speaker either.

But we all have to realize that Line 6 is not making the Helix only for me or you, but they follow their philosophy in how to serve "all users" best. For you, the amps are not that important but for me the current delays are fine. And I think reverb sucks period, so what's in there is more than sufficient for my needs. Stating that the quality of competitors is better means nothing. You might as well be stating that you like the effects/amps/cabs that were used for the modeling by the competitor better than the ones that were used by Line 6. That can be a legit argument, but then why not get the competitor's tool? And if the competitor is really higher quality to you and that's the most important thing to you, why not go for that?

The issue you're experiencing with the 4CM may be real or you may be able to improve with some help. I don't know, but Digital_Igloo has been trying to help there. You've obviously not experienced that as help, but as a bystander it certainly looked like that. But in order to being helped, you have to be open for help.

Only you can decide if the Helix suits your needs. Nothing is perfect, so it's all about concessions (hey, I'm Dutch 😉). Whether you're able to live with the downsides is totally up to you. If you can, try to see if the advice you get can help you move it to a higher level. If you can't, Helix may not be for you ...

All in respect man, just my two cents

Thank you Edwin for answering... there's for sure a difficult for me due to language: I read and understand we'll english, but not much able to write it or - even more - speak it.

I know, Helix is a multi-purpose machine, and tried to suit guitarist that go direct, guitarist that use real amps, bassists, and even singers... understand and accept this.

There are 2 things I can say for sure:

- my Helix is not defective, I tried 3 of them in these months and they all perform in the same way;

- I tried all that I could to "correct" the perceived differences in 4CM: global EQ as suggested by GlenDeLaune, even EQ blocks before send or after return blocks... better results with the last ones for frequencies correction, but still different in feeling. All impedances and levels setup correctly.

I've always been a tone fanatic, a vintage gear enthusiast (and a pro-guitarist for 10 years in the past, until phisical problems forced me to a long stop from guitar), with years of tweaking on the big rack machines: Eventide Hs Ultra Harmonizers, Orville, TC2290, Lexicon PCM80-81... if there's something more regarding transparency that I can do and didn't consider before, I'm open to everyone suggestions.

Regarding effects: here (as for most of the amps) often we have "emulated" effects, so the quality of the emulated sound is objective: a Transistor Tape Delay modeled after an original Maestro EP-3 is of high quality if the tone is similar to the original one... it's sufficient comparing them (I've done, and put a video on youtube some time ago).

Same thing for a 2299 Digital Delay, or for the tracking and naturalness of an Harmonizer.

For these effects my opinion is that they can be improved a lot... there's little or nothing a final user can do about them, right?

I still think that Helix could be the best digital piece of gear I've had in 30 years of guitar addiction, with some improvement which I was hoping would arrive soon (a bit of letdown for the last FW, I admit)... and this is the only reason I decided to write here, where who works on the updates can read, instead of simply selling it or complaining about it in other places.

Peace :-)

• Upvote 1

Just a quick note that might already be addressed but want to keep it in the loop, my Variax JTV69 into Helix has the issue of not changing the model in the Variax per snapshot. 

Example - Preset with 4 snaps in it - #1 clean - strat in between, #2 distortion - LP lead pickup, #3 lead - LP middle position, #4 Lead w/harmony - LP lead pickup.

The snaps do not change the pickups, I opened a ticket on this and they came back with it is a known issue. The reply to the ticket said that it probably would not be fixed in 2.20.

I am hoping that the next update will have this fixed as this is what I have the JTV69 for and it is a very important fix for my use.

Outside of that I could not be more pleased with the tones and control of them with my setup. I have had all kinds of amps, refrigerator size rack mount gear setups and when POD's came out that changed it all for me. I had them all the way through the HD500X. Now the dream rig with the Variax, Helix and two L2m. The versatility is unmatched to any other setup I have had. Of coarse this is just my opinion and my preference. 

Thanks Line6 for the greatest gear I have ever owned and by the way my 2.20 update went flawless. Looking forward to any addition's in future updates.

Just a quick note that might already be addressed but want to keep it in the loop, my Variax JTV69 into Helix has the issue of not changing the model in the Variax per snapshot. 

Example - Preset with 4 snaps in it - #1 clean - strat in between, #2 distortion - LP lead pickup, #3 lead - LP middle position, #4 Lead w/harmony - LP lead pickup.

The snaps do not change the pickups, I opened a ticket on this and they came back with it is a known issue. The reply to the ticket said that it probably would not be fixed in 2.20.

I am hoping that the next update will have this fixed as this is what I have the JTV69 for and it is a very important fix for my use.

Outside of that I could not be more pleased with the tones and control of them with my setup. I have had all kinds of amps, refrigerator size rack mount gear setups and when POD's came out that changed it all for me. I had them all the way through the HD500X. Now the dream rig with the Variax, Helix and two L2m. The versatility is unmatched to any other setup I have had. Of coarse this is just my opinion and my preference. 

Thanks Line6 for the greatest gear I have ever owned and by the way my 2.20 update went flawless. Looking forward to any addition's in future updates.

I'm not sure why they would have told you this is a known issue, because changing Variax models per snapshot has been working for awhile now, and it's still working with the 2.20 firmware. The one thing to realize is that the Variax model doesn't just automatically save with the snapshot. In the input block, you have to have the "Variax Settings" parameter set to "per preset", and you need to assign the Preset Variax Model parameter to a snapshot controller (on the Helix itself, push and turn the knob, and brackets will appear around that parameter). Then you can set the Variax model you want for each snapshot. I can assure you this works in 2.20.

You also need to Save the preset, of course, before leaving it. But before doing these edits check your global setting for handling Snapshot changes. If it is set to Discard then you will need to either change it to Retain or you will need to Save the preset before leaving each Snapshot. Otherwise the snapshot changes will be (as specified by that parameter) Discarded without being saved.

You know I submitted my preset from 2.12 to Line6 and they checked it out and that's what the reply was from them. But... 

Now that I have 2.20 loaded... it is working. I guess my 2.12 had a bug. I knew how to setup the Presets, Variax, Global settings and the save them to make them work, it just was not doing it in 2.12 that is why I opened a ticket and sent the preset patch to them. I should have tried to do it after the update to 2.20 before I posted my post. Who knows... electronics! Anyway...

Now I am enjoying all the workbench editing and new additions to my Helix. So thanks for the help Phil_P and Silverhead, that is the great thing about this forum, you both replied to make sure it was all good and it is now!

Before I install update - Do I need to save ALL of the stock Factory IR's? The update should save all of those plus the new ones that come with the update - correct? I have save all of my user created ones. Thx DG

I think you mean the factory setlists - there are no factory IRs. The update saves nothing; you need to manually save, before the update,anything you want to restore after the update. I suggest you save the individual setlists rather than the entire bundle. The new firmware includes a new set of factory setlists that replace the old ones. So you don't need to save the old factory setlists unless there are specific presets that you want to keep; they may no longer be part of the new factory setlists. But for sure save your user setlists before updating.

You should manually back up any IRs that you are using as well; they will be deleted by the firmware update procedures. Make sure you keep track of what slots the IRs are in - you will have to manually reload them into the same slots after the update.

... btw, most of what I've said here is included in the documented update procedures. Make sure you follow them.

Are you asking about presets or IR's? There are no stock IR's. There are stock presets, though. The stock presets will be replaced with new ones, so if you have some favorites in those, I'd say save them. I always save all set lists, including those. I also save my IR's just to keep them together with my existing set lists before updating.

I mean do I need to save what are specifically called the "Factory 1Presets - or will they remain and be added to with the new ones that Line 6 has created.  I have already saved my custom presets - ones that I have created from scratch or those that I have modified from original presets.  So - if I perform the update - will I lose anything once I have moved my saved presets back to the editor? 

I think you mean the factory setlists - there are no factory IRs. The update saves nothing; you need to manually save, before the update,anything you want to restore after the update. I suggest you save the individual setlists rather than the entire bundle. The new firmware includes a new set of factory setlists that replace the old ones. So you don't need to save the old factory setlists unless there are specific presets that you want to keep; they may no longer be part of the new factory setlists. But for sure save your user setlists before updating.

You should manually back up any IRs that you are using as well; they will be deleted by the firmware update procedures. Make sure you keep track of what slots the IRs are in - you will have to manually reload them into the same slots after the update.

... btw, most of what I've said here is included in the documented update procedures. Make sure you follow them.

Again - here you state that the update "saves nothing" It obviously saves the original factory presets correct? I do not have to save all of them ? That would be crazy.

No it does not save the factory presets. It provides a revised set of factory presets. Some of the old ones are replaced with new ones. Others are updated. Most of the factory presets are unchanged but the update saves nothing. It replaces all factory presets, mostly with the same presets but still - it replaces them; it does not save them.

You may notice that immediately after the firmware upgrade all the previous setlists, both factory and user setlists, still remain in the Helix device. But the update procedures are not complete. The mandatory Global Reset is what replaces all setlists. You could choose not to do this but you will encounter problems.

I mean do I need to save what are specifically called the "Factory 1Presets - or will they remain and be added to with the new ones that Line 6 has created.  I have already saved my custom presets - ones that I have created from scratch or those that I have modified from original presets.  So - if I perform the update - will I lose anything once I have moved my saved presets back to the editor?

Don't want to deliberately cross thread these posts, but we have similar discussion going on here, oft it helps:

http://line6.com/support/topic/26528-lost-factory-preset/?do=findComment&comment=205490

No it does not save the factory presets. It provides a revised set of factory presets. Some of the old ones are replaced with new ones. Others are updated. Most of the factory presets are unchanged but the update saves nothing. It replaces all factory presets, mostly with the same presets but still - it replaces them; it does not save them.

You may notice that immediately after the firmware upgrade all the previous setlists, both factory and user setlists, still remain in the Helix device. But the update procedures are not complete. The mandatory Global Reset is what replaces all setlists. You could choose not to do this but you will encounter problems.

You might want to share that on the original update post. Just a thought - thx for the info.

Don't want to deliberately cross thread these posts, but we have similar discussion going on here, oft it helps:

http://line6.com/support/topic/26528-lost-factory-preset/?do=findComment&comment=205490

Thx - that post is very helpful. Again - I think it would clarify things a bit if this info was/is posted in the original update text. 

Thx - that post is very helpful. Again - I think it would clarify things a bit if this info was/is posted in the original update text.

No problem, maybe if we can get some contributions ( donations ) for Jason, then he may host these changes/info on his website:

https://helixhelp.com

Then we can all rest easy about what did or did not change during the updates.

Just landed in Thailand and took my Helix with me on the plane in the sweet backpack which i HIGHLY recommend - even fit two laptops and all cables in there too!

By carrying it on your back secured nice and tight the airlines dont question the weight / size...also managed to take the Variax JTV89 AND a spanking new Martin Acoustic in a custom design MONO reinforced soft case that holds both - they came in at under 10kg bag included. Amazing.

Im gonna run the 2.2 update today so wish me luck.

Peter, I saw you have some vids on running patches that feature the Variax Mags AND the acoustic models in the one patch on separate paths (?) but it looks like the tutorial was for the POD HD 500. Is it possible to do with the Helix? Could be great for some rocky ballads. Any links appreciated!

Thanks

Just landed in Thailand and took my Helix with me on the plane in the sweet backpack which i HIGHLY recommend - even fit two laptops and all cables in there too!

By carrying it on your back secured nice and tight the airlines dont question the weight / size... <snip>

Emphasis added. Great tip to wear rather than hand carry the Helix backpack on board.

Haha indeed. Shocked I got two guitars and an entire studio with me with no extra charges. I think buying the correct luggage / bags is worth its weight in gold for the travelling troubadour

Mine also did 1 and 3. Weird thing was 3 was the night after I did the upgrade and had already rebooted and reset to defaults and rebuilt...

Any time you import presets/setlists into Helix using editor, the next time you reboot it will rebuild the presets. 

Is there ever a list posted of which presets get updated?  I can identify some, sure, but remembering 100s is a bit much ;)

Is there ever a list posted of which presets get updated?  I can identify some, sure, but remembering 100s is a bit much ;)

I really will have to stop cross posting replies to the same issue in different threads, but here we go again - one final time.

It seems that with every update to the Firmware there is going to be some changes to the supplied Factory preset lists.

Here is a quote from Digital Igloo about that very thing:

Digital_Igloo, on 18 Jan 2017 - 9:43 PM, said:

We add/remove/swap/change/tweak presets pretty much every FW release, some more than others. Unfortunately, any list would be out of date quickly.

Another forum user Ben Vesco (aka Malhavok) has been tracking the changes to the presets on Firmware versions prior v2.20. I'm not sure if he intends to keep up with documenting the changes, but you can see what he has done already on this page:

http://benvesco.com/...e/line-6-helix/

So, now we all know - Back up all your stuff prior to installing an update!

As it clearly states in the release notes for V2.20.0

NOTE: You may want to back up individual Setlists so you can restore them to empty setlists without affecting the new 2.20 factory presets.

Hope this helps

And i posted this in the wrong thread...

In any case, I'm certain that this functionality has been retained. You can go further. If you are able to make a patch with 2, 3 or 4 amps, and 4 cabinets, you can send each cabinet out it's own output, XLR L, XLR R, 1/4" L and 1/4" R.

• Upvote 1

Peter, I saw you have some vids on running patches that feature the Variax Mags AND the acoustic models in the one patch on separate paths (?) but it looks like the tutorial was for the POD HD 500. Is it possible to do with the Helix? Could be great for some rocky ballads. Any links appreciated!

Thanks

Talkin' to me I think. Yes, you can do this with Variax. I don't have a Variax anymore, so I don't have any demo or tutorial. But it's easy to accomplish.

Hi guys, I am about to pull the plug on a Helix soon and have a question regarding the legacy Variax's: , I own a legacy Variax (500) and understand with the previous firmware, that (although officially unsupported) the Variax models could be controlled by Helix (1-way direction) etc., my question: has anything changed with this latest update that provides any support for legacy Variax architecture, specifically with Workbench HD etc?

Thanks!

Hi guys, I am about to pull the plug on a Helix soon and have a question regarding the legacy Variax's: , I own a legacy Variax (500) and understand with the previous firmware, that (although officially unsupported) the Variax models could be controlled by Helix (1-way direction) etc., my question: has anything changed with this latest update that provides any support for legacy Variax architecture, specifically with Workbench HD etc? Thanks!

Well, Workbench HD doesn't support the older Variaxes, so, no, Helix doesn't add anything there. The older Variaxes will only work with the original Workbench, and Helix doesn't support that.

Echo everything Silverhead said and just wanted to add that, although there are rarely changes to it, the Templates setlist also gets replaced when the global reset gets excecuted. If you have your own custom Templates you will want to save them off before global reset. The 2.20 upgrade included a new template at 32D in the Templates setlist that gives you a template to play with the new '3 Note Generator'.

Problem with Update - Then Solved. Took me a day to figure it out. Because I had been using my Helix rack in studio conditions, it was already connected in the back for my needs. 

PROBLEM WITH UPDATE: While I updated, my Helix rack had the SPDIF's, Expression Pedal, and Variax cables connected. The update seemed to go well until "go time". Obviously something wrong with the presets AND the sample rate. Because of SPDIF - the update moved the default to 48 and the output was awful - Easy fix back to 96khz. Major problem were the presets which were obviously not correct. Brit Plexi Brt sounded like a clean tin can and so forth and so on down the line. 

I finally disconnected all cables from the rear except the USB obviously. Reran the update - ALL IS WELL !! Hope that helps someone. Not sure that info was in the update - if it was - I could not find it.

Installed 2.20 fw, earlier today, to Helix Floor, going directly from 2.10.

It was quick and uneventful.

On the borrowed Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running the latest Win10, Helix Updater was nearly microscopic! The Surface Pro 4 belongs to a friend, so I was not about to edit the Registry to attempt the Manifest file workaround.

Installed 2.20 fw, earlier today, to Helix Floor, going directly from 2.10.

It was quick and uneventful.

On the borrowed Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running the latest Win10, Helix Updater was nearly microscopic! The Surface Pro 4 belongs to a friend, so I was not about to edit the Registry to attempt the Manifest file workaround.

Does the Surface have a 4k monitor?

I'm not sure of the Surface Pro 4's screen resolution. Nonetheless, when the Updater's display window appeared on the screen (using Chrome Browser) the size of that window was small and fixed -- no corner drag & drop to resize nor fullscreen button to click. So, I launched Chrome Browser on my Samsung Android Smartphone (Galaxy S4 Active) and browsed to the exact same Release Notes document on Line 6's website download area. Zoomed in with an easy jesutre and the document was larger and far more legible to easily read.

ALthough the Surface Pro 4 is a beauty of a machine, it was borrowed. I have been spoiled with the 2560x1600 resolution of my Samsung TabPro 12.2" Android Tablet. It is a shame Line 6 continues to ignore the Android market for the Helix Updater and Helix Editor Apps. The filesize and complexity of installing the firmware on the Helix is not beyond the capabilities of the Android devices!

..... It is a shame Line 6 continues to ignore the Android market for the Helix Updater and Helix Editor Apps. The filesize and complexity of installing the firmware on the Helix is not beyond the capabilities of the Android devices!

I don't think the issue is the file size or complexity of Android devices, nor their internet connectivity for downloading the firmware to the Android device. The issue is the communications between the Android and Helix devices. There's generally no USB connection on these mobile devices; they tend to rely on the (relatively slow and unreliable) Bluetooth technology for non-internet peer communications. From what I've read the Line 6 experience with updating Amplifi and Firehawk devices via Bluetooth shows that the connection is often unreliable for the length of time required for the update. Amplifi and Firehawk users tend to use the USB connection to a PC/Mac for more reliable and much faster updating.

Bluetooth is great for audio streaming. You lose a few data packets here and there and you just ignore and discard them; the ear compensates quite nicely even if there's a stutter in the sound. But lose a few data packets during a firmware update and the update fails at best, and your device is bricked at worst.

Each of my several Android devices are capable of running USB Host Mode. They are very capable of running a wide variety of Apps designed to perform many tasks, including, File Management, I/O, UI, and more with assorted devices. I do not know what protocalls Helix is capable of handling. But as Helix is capable of 8 channel Digital USB Audio, firmware updating, Editor, and the forthcoming Native (all via USB), Helix's has got to have a robust USB capability when connected to a suitable USB Host device running appropriate software on an Android platform. At least for the relatively mundane tasks of Updating the firmware and perhaps the Editor. I'm not talking about 8 channel USB audio.

I certainly defer to more knowledgable Android USB technicians and engineers. As an example, Fender had never released an Android Application to edit nor control the existing Mustang Amp product line. Fender also did not release any MIDI interface capability for the Mustang Amp product line. Those amps do have USB and will run under Fender's FUSE (Windows and Mac) software. So, an innovative third party developer introduced the REMDUA Android App. Another introuced the Primova MIDX-20 USB MIDI device. The first performs well beyond Fender's software, and the later opens an entirely new realm for MIDI via USB. Makes one think what the Helix is capable of with the right software on an Android device....

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the new swell effects in 2.20. I also like the Particle Reverb. Until recently, I have used an Eventide Eclipse for ethereal type sounds.

Too bad L6 haven't yet reduced the DSP% or fixed the digital instability issue. The sooner they do, the better.

Too bad L6 haven't yet reduced the DSP% or fixed the digital instability issue.

If you're going to vaguely paint a bug with a wide brush, PLEASE post it in the Helix Bug Reports thread, and if it's already in there, please post a link to it. QA and I honestly have no idea what this is supposed to mean.