Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix FW 2.20 (The "Get Low" Update) OUT NOW

Digital_Igloo

If you're going to vaguely paint a bug with a wide brush, PLEASE post it in the Helix Bug Reports thread, and if it's already in there, please post a link to it. QA and I honestly have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

http://line6.com/support/topic/19234-helix-spdif-out-loses-sync-too-often/

http://line6.com/support/topic/16083-helix-bug-reports/page-15?do=findComment&comment=176731

The new Helix firmware with a bunch of bass models, hello! Thank you very much! Perfect timing, I just got a Quilter Bass Block 800 and an Ampeg 1x15 portaflex cab. Incidentally, the Quilter is thunderous. Haven't had time to test with Helix yet; pretty psyched to do so. Rattled the whole house with this little amp into an Ampeg 1x15. Didn't get it anywhere near all the way up.. And the Quilter is crazy light; weighs a whopping 4 pounds. Really! To be specific, it weighs only 3.7lbs, but has a little carry bag. So, 4lbs.. Maybe. Comes with an extra long locking power cable; thing is at least 10' long, maybe more. The amp is Class D, and pushes a true 800w at 4ohms, and can go as low as 2.5 ohms.

Need to get this thing and my Helix to the jam spot, try that with my buddies new 4x10 Aguilar cab!!

Cheers!

Question: I downloaded the 2.20 update to the firmware and all went well. 

Also downloaded the new 2.20 editor. It looks to have installed on my Mac just fine. However when I boot up the editor, I don't have the full selection of amps and effects. I then check the "About" tab and it says I have Helix Version 2.00.1.  

I deleted and re-downloaded the 2.20 editor a couple times from the Line 6 website but still get the "2.00.1" on my Version number. 

Any suggestions?

Question: I downloaded the 2.20 update to the firmware and all went well.

Also downloaded the new 2.20 editor. It looks to have installed on my Mac just fine. However when I boot up the editor, I don't have the full selection of amps and effects. I then check the "About" tab and it says I have Helix Version 2.00.1.

I deleted and re-downloaded the 2.20 editor a couple times from the Line 6 website but still get the "2.00.1" on my Version number.

Any suggestions?

Make sure you not only "delete" but actually uninstall the current Helix software from your Mac. Then download and reinstall the 2.20 version of the "Helix" app which includes the Editor. I have included the link below for the Mac OS X version of the software. You can download this and compare sizes to the file you were using as a sanity check.

http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=7400

• Upvote 1

Well, the update went well, but can't believe that L6 didn't spot the latency issue in stomp mode. I play in stomp mode almost exclusively and with 2 or 3 gigs a week the minor bug becomes a real pain in the lollipop... I've tried to set up the snapshots but there are issues there too with to as the colour LED's are always lit... oops L6 bad update boys(& Girls) you had lots of time to test this too... anytime on these fixes or shall I dig out the 500X for a while or maybe my old TS9 and EchoPark...?

Hate to moan at L6 but this was a bad one.. at least for me... I still have faith in you guys and look forward to the 10 new amps and 20 new FX you'll include as compensation (wink wink) haha.. ;-) 

Just noticed this as well. WOW!!! Huge latency switching stomp FX on and off. Have a big audition coming up next week. This won't work!! Line 6? Really?!!!!!!!!!

You really think it's a huge latency? I have verified the behavior, but what I noticed was certainly not a "huge latency". It was actually very subtle, and I had to test it out like half a dozen times to make sure...

Anyway, rest easy... It's being fixed in 2.21, which will be out shortly.

Good to know, thanks.

I've had the screen go blank on me twice (well, black actually), and I'm really hoping it's a 2.20 bug instead of a hardware failure

BTW, maybe someone will remember this issue I (and some others) had: Every previous update I can remember resulted in the loss of some of my presets. For some reason, either paths 1&2 or paths 3&4 were lost. When I tried to restore my saved patches (banks, lists or individual), those patches never came back complete.

Well, I read in some of DI's posts that presets using IR slots 127 and/or 128 didn't save correctly.

The bug is gone... Thanks ;-)

You really think it's a huge latency? I have verified the behavior, but what I noticed was certainly not a "huge latency". It was actually very subtle, and I had to test it out like half a dozen times to make sure...

Yes, I think it's very annoying. When I need to switch a thing on precisely for, say, the downbeat of chorus when there is no pause just before it: before the update it was very natural to hit it. Now I miss it all the time. I don't care if it's 100ms or what (probably a bit more I'd say), no point in measuring it, it just doesn't work. I guess it might be related to the volume knob lag, that could have been a sign of something being wrong internally.

I get it, bugs happen but I just don't feel easy about downplaying this issue. This is really breaking a performance, what else is more important? It's a ball dropped on QA side in my opinion and it takes a month to fix. Of course, people professionally relying on Helix shouldn't have upgraded or should downgrade, the rest of us can discuss here.

I'm not meaning to minimize the issue - obviously Line 6 thinks it's an issue and is fixing it. I guess I'm just surprised it seems so noticeable to some. It's definitely one of those things I would have never noticed without someone mentioning it. And even when I did try it after it was brought up, I still found it a little hard to discern.

Back when 2.20 was released, I remember someone putting a video up on Facebook showing it, and nearly every comment was like, "I don't hear anything...".

I wonder if the gap is more pronounced with certain blocks or if there are multiple blocks are assigned to a footswitch...

I'm not meaning to minimize the issue - obviously Line 6 thinks it's an issue and is fixing it. I guess I'm just surprised it seems so noticeable to some. It's definitely one of those things I would have never noticed without someone mentioning it. And even when I did try it after it was brought up, I still found it a little hard to discern.

Same for me...

Back when 2.20 was released, I remember someone putting a video up on Facebook showing it, and nearly every comment was like, "I don't hear anything...".

I wonder if the gap is more pronounced with certain blocks or if there are multiple blocks are assigned to a footswitch...

I have some presets, where are multiple blocks are assigned to a footswitch. I think the blocks are not switching exactly at the same time and this causes a short noise/lag. If you play a song with many little distorted solo riffs, it is quite annoying. So I downgraded my helix.

But it's OK, line6 will fix it. I hope that there will be many updates with new things in future!

• 3 months later...

If you need a looper that slaves to external MIDI clock, the Boomerang III does it and does it flawlessly. Also obeys start and stop commands.

true, but it costs $500 (same as the Pigtronix Infinity), that's 1/3 of the Helix msrp for a single effect, it's also apparently discontinued. The 45000 also does quantize to midi-clock but it's more of a multi-track recorder, mixer and sampler, great alternative ...just too expensive, large and feature-loaded for those of us who want a simple looper to record short phrases to play with a live band, without MIDI clock quantize a looper is a useless gimmick outside the bedroom.