Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is FRFR really necessary for Helix?

gpasq

40 minutes ago, rvroberts said:

...bet you The Edge hears most of his sound from foldback...

All of it. Normally, they use IEMs only, and have for many years. On the current tour, there are no amps (or even his FX rack) on stage at all.

He still uses 5 or more amps for his sound, though...

1 hour ago, PeterHamm said:

All of it. Normally, they use IEMs only, and have for many years. On the current tour, there are no amps (or even his FX rack) on stage at all.

He still uses 5 or more amps for his sound, though...

This trend seems to be getting more and more prolific.  I noticed on the new Jeff Lynne ELO tour there wasn't a single amp on the stage.  Personally I think this makes for a much more professional and bigger stage setup and production.  They really aren't necessary anymore if you think about it.

2 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

This trend seems to be getting more and more prolific.  I noticed on the new Jeff Lynne ELO tour there wasn't a single amp on the stage.  Personally I think this makes for a much more professional and bigger stage setup and production.  They really aren't necessary anymore if you think about it.

9/10 times the wall of Marshalls that everybody used to drag around was just empty eye candy anyway...2 dozen 4x12 cabs aren't necessary unless you're playing to an audience on the moon, lol

For the first year I owned my Helix, I was going for the pure processed recording tone and getting it with my DXR12. Then I bought a PowerCab+ and I realized I like things a little more raw and unrefined. I rarely use the FRFR setting on the PC+. The initial change was a small shock and took a little bit to get used to. But now I'm much happier with my tone and I occasionally test myself by plugging into the DXR and it reinforces that I made the right switch for me. 

I guess it depends on how loud you play with the band.  I play in churches and found that I often have to bring my own gear.  My Helix runs through a pair of M-Audio BX5 studio monitors and sounds good.  I've brought one of these in with me and have used it in place of the on-stage monitor and have had plenty of sound.  It also has the same tone/frequency that I'm used to hearing at home too.  I was surprised at the sound I get from a small monitor.

• 4 years later...
On 1/20/2017 at 3:25 AM, gpasq said:

Well, to be clear, I wasnt talking about 4cm or using an amp. I was asking about the use of stage monitors that don't specify FRFR.

I picked up an EV monitor tonight. It's not specd as FRFR, but sounds great. I wonder what another $400 would get me, if anything.

It's the EV ZLX-12P model.

I have a pair of these, it has DSP so you can set it as a floor monitor or FOH. The live setting as I understand it is it’s FRFR mode :)