Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native Plug-in

baldric

Guest Ian Burwell

Does anyone know if there will be an upgrade path from POD Farm 2?. I'm not a HELIX User (currently) as I have a POD HD Pro Rack in my rig, but do use POD Farm 2 + ALL the Expansions  alot in Nuendo 7.

Cheers

Does anyone know if there will be an upgrade path from POD Farm 2?. I'm not a HELIX User (currently) as I have a POD HD Pro Rack in my rig, but do use POD Farm 2 + ALL the Expansions  alot in Nuendo 7.

Cheers

I strongly doubt it. They are completely different products, not just an upgrade version of the same product. For example, POD HD owners were not entitled to a discount on Helix. On the other hand, owners of the original Pod Farm were offered a discounted upgrade path to purchase Pod Farm 2.

Cheers

I guess it depends on what you mean by Upgrade Path. 

If you mean a way to migrate presets, then seriously doubt it. But if you mean an Upgrade Price, then looks like it. This from the Helix Native FAQ (note the last sentence):

What does Helix Native cost?

Helix Native sells for $399 USD. However, to hammer home the whole studio-to-stage thing, we’re offering a discount to registered Helix and Helix Rack owners; they can purchase Helix Native for $99. Existing POD Farm customers are eligible for certain discounts as well (TBD).

• Upvote 1

If you mean a way to migrate presets, then seriously doubt it. But if you mean an Upgrade Price, then looks like it. This from the Helix Native FAQ (note the last sentence):

Helix Native sells for $399 USD. However, to hammer home the whole studio-to-stage thing, we’re offering a discount to registered Helix and Helix Rack owners; they can purchase Helix Native for $99. Existing POD Farm customers are eligible for certain discounts as well (TBD).

Ah! I had missed that. Thanks for clarifying.

Can we assume it will be the same tones and sound quality as the helix it just relies on your computers DSP? In that case you could ditch your HW unit if you only use it for recording. That's all I use it for. I already have all the I/O I would need with my recording interface..

In another thread, the comment was made that it's the same DSP code, so same input will result in same output. However, your A/D converters, etc in your interface are possibly different to the ones they use in the hardware Helix, so that could make the input to the DSP code slightly different.

I only plan to use Native for recording, and don't have a Helix, so I don't need it to be identical. If you want to interchange presets between Helix and Native, then it possibly matters more.

Cheers

Malcolm

Guest Ian Burwell

Existing POD Farm customers are eligible for certain discounts as well (TBD).

Great thanks for clarifying :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To Be Determined. At least at that point, they hadn't decided what the price point would be for Pod Farm users. More than $99 I expect.

I have Pod Farm Platinum AND a Helix LT.  And not much money left; hope Line 6 gives guys like me a break.

(also have Pod x3, Pod XT, Pod GX, Guitar Port, etc..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is it ever coming I'm going to have to buy other software if it doesn't arrive soon...

Kind of ridiculous - if you really need a Guitar processing VST, there are plenty out there.   If you want something fully compatible with the Helix line, then you are just going to have to wait a bit longer like everyone else.   I would rather they sort out any issues then release early and be plagued with problems.   Good quality control is hard to come by these days.

Is it ever coming I'm going to have to buy other software if it doesn't arrive soon...

I've been fooling around with GTR3 and it's surprisingly good. Sorry Line 6, but I'm getting far better tones from a $50 plugin than I ever could with the POD HD 500x. I'm keenly interested in Helix Native since the hardware equivalent is a vast upgrade from the POD.

• 4 weeks later...

Some advice please on Helix Native, newbie to DAW, have Cubase and just got GTR3, clean signals are fine but amp sims have lots of hiss/noise.

Will Helix Native exhibit the same hiss and noise on amp sims with gain. I have done a bit of searching and read that some plugins replicate the noise from amps and speakers. I don't want this or have to mess around with filters or EQ just to clean it up. Hopefully a Beta tester could confirm.

Thanks.

A guitar pickup is an electromagnetic noise detector, put that through a lower quality microphone input on a computer which adds electric noise, at 16 bit resolution and you are starting with a noisy signal. Then feed that signal into a high gain amp model (which amplifies it all!) and you will get a lot of hiss and noise. [forgive me if not all of these are true, but you haven't given much information]

But you would have noise if you had the real amp present as well - it has less to do with the model and everything to do with the quality of the signal chain, the fact that it is less audible when there is no amp sim simply means that you are not amplifying the noise as much.To remove noise you need to address all aspects:

Humbucker pickups cancel a lot of magnetic noise compared to single coils, but even with them try to move away from electronic noise sources such as computer monitors, WiFi/Bluetooth transmitters, dimmer switches, strip or cheap LED lights. Is the guitar electronically sound? Switches, sockets, cables?

You don't say what you are feeding the guitar lead into - but there is a huge range of audio interfaces and the lower-end especially built in stuff will be adding more noise. HD500 or Helix as an interface is much better as are the more expensive studio quality audio interfaces. They will capture the input at 24 bit resolution @ 44KHz (or higher), but even here you need to watch gain staging (how loud the signal is at each stage - too low and the later make-up gain adds noise, too high and you get clipping). Gain Staging also applies internally in cubase.

Amps generally need much less gain than many think, but if you really want a high gain modern metal sound the most important component is the noise gate normally placed early in the chain. And then there is gain staging the output side from Cubase to your ears - that also requires proper gain staging; turn you power amp to max and then feed a very low signal in an the noise will come from the power amp.

To see how much is coming from the Amp model and how much from everything else simply try a very clean amp model or to simulate a high gain amp mute Guitar Rig and add an EQ block (flat) and turn the input and output levels right up.

Thanks for your reply and I know this is not a WAVES forum, again it is to find out if there is any simulated noise etc written into Helix Native to accurately reproduce authentic amp sounds or will it be a clean signal until you input. Please excuse my lack of technical wording, been 20 Years since recording at home and getting old now :)

When in Cubase and I insert a Distortion effect (Cubase one, any of them) there is no off note noise present, that is, (no input coming from the guitar, muted etc.). Same as when I was playing 20 years ago through my Boss SE-70 effects rack, no noise until you struck a string even on the highest gain presets. I have an Ibanez 540S going straight through an M-Audio M-Track Plus into Cubase. I also inserted an audio track, then a GTR3 insert without the guitar plugged in and the noise / hum / hiss is there (on gain presets only). There is one preset in GTR3 which I recall was "No Amp Sim" with gain that did not produce this noise but other presets do. On clean presets everything is fine, crystal clear.

The guitar has just had a full service and setup with 100% all good.

I also, turned input on M-Audio to zero and turned down the input on the presets but the noise even though reduces is still there. The noise also varies depending on the preset in GTR3 selected. I know we must look at what is in the chain first i.e. equipment, I feel I have eliminated Guitar and Input.

Again, the main question is - Does Helix Native produce any noise on high gain (distortion) presets when you are off note (muted waiting to play a solo etc.)

I also use Cubase and GTR3. Even the most expensive guitar will produce noise if the gain levels are too high, crappy instrument cables, poor audio interface, etc. It turns out that my noise solution is a *free* vst plugin that comes with Reaper called "ReaFIR". I'm always wary of "free" solutions to problems, but I'm dead serious about this. I put this plug at the very end of my signal chain and it virtually eliminates *all* hiss/hum, even on high gain amp sims. I even stopped using noise gates (which I detest). Very light DSP footprint as well. You may find the other plugins ReaFIR comes with very useful, too.

https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

I'm happy to hear that worked for you but I would really appreciate if the main question could be answered by someone: 

Again, the main question is - Does Helix Native produce any noise on high gain (distortion) presets when you are off note (muted waiting to play a solo etc.)

Forget about my guitar or leads or Audio interface, I noted previously that this is present even with no guitar lead plugged in and not present with Cubase presets. 

Lets for arguments sake say we had a clean PC, and good Audio interface (no electrical noise etc.).

I appreciate the responses but too many times I see an initial question get lost in corresponding replies and go off in a different direction, I have not owned any Line 6 products and am extremely interested in Helix Native. Like many waiting to spend money it would be nice to now this stuff.

Thanks.