Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native - Let's See If I have This Straight

talonmm

My USB port on my HD500 is completely ruined.  No idea whatsoever how that happened, but I keep mine at church and multiple people use it.  I now need an alternative.  Perhaps instead of fixing this port I should upgrade to the Helix?  I'll tell ya, Native sounds really good right about now.  I could keep the board at the church and use the native at home on my guitar.  Or I could open multiple instances of Native and have it on my guitar as well as on my virtual synth.  This whole thing sounds perfect to me.  But 1 problem.  Absolutely zero money.  I want to get in on this whole Helix thing so bad but I'm not paid to play guitar or anything.  And with a wife and four kids it's "irresponsible" to finance it.  ugh.

Anyone loaded and want to buy a hard working guy a Helix? J/K  ;) Any ideas?

What if I have both Helix and Pod Farm 2? Will it be free? ;)

lol good question. I have Pod Farm 2 as a bonus to registering a Pod X3 bean years ago. However, it may have been a different account.

Though honestly, I am quite content, with a $99 price point.

That said I feel as if I should point out that I was wrong when I replied to the intial question of "will pod farm 2 users get a discount for Helix Native?" I responded I don't think so, but it looks like there will be one afterall.

I meant exactly what I said, which was that the algorithms will generate the same output if given the same input. 

Since you don't understand my point I'll type slower... KIDDING...  I'm saying only this, that using a regular PC output (or cheap audio Interface) into the same quality studio speaker with Helix Native, won't sound as good as using Helix itself into that same studio speaker, no matter the how good the "algorithm" (errrm software) is inside of Helix Native. Why? Because just as DI said, "Very few audio interfaces have Helix's level of A/D conversion and op amps and almost none have its 123dB of dynamic range."    In other words, the freekin hardware (A to D chips) is better quality so it Duh, sounds better...  Chase @ Fractal said the same many moons ago about the Axe FX, and he was also correct. And I think that is and will be the major gripe out there once Native gets released. Why can't my Sony Walkman and Native sound like Helix does!!!???!!!  

• 4 weeks later...

Since the native's ability to use blocks is limited by my DAW's horsepower and my computer is a vegan-hulk-arachnoid on steroids plus cyber-tech it will hulk-smash my helix just like that. In this scenario I sure cannot transfer my alien-studio-sounds to my gig-rig.

The question is; is there going to be a (switchable) DSP-limiter in Native so I would stay in the helix-able zone of creating tones?

Also, about simulating the physical helix in software-environment, is there going to be same setup of virtual I/O-routing to the Native? For example, running several tracks to the same instance of Native?

p.s. I'm excited. This software is going to be a game-changer to the overall sound of my band. I look forward to run both my bass and my friend's guitar through the same helix! I could tailor our OVERALL-SOUND at ease and transfer it to different situations soooooo much faster and easier. Line6, I love you!

I'm still excited and CURIOUS if this will be the case with native?

I hope that owners of Helix LT AND Pod Farm Platinum (like me) will get a significant break... (Sheesh, my investment is at LEAST that of Helix considering all the other stuff I have from Line 6 as well (Pod XT, X3, GX, Guitar Port, Gearbox... :)

Hey Line6,

I have a bit of a dilemma and I was hoping you could help. I'm ready to purchase the Helix Rack hardware for my studio but then read you were developing a (software) Native version—due this Spring. I'm so tempted to buy the Rack, basically 'cause I'm an impatient person, but was wondering if it was worth waiting for the software version to be released and holding off altogether on the Rack? Sure, I know I could save a $1,000.00 by waiting on the Native version but is there any advantage to owning the Hardware, over the Software?

Cheers, Bob.

Hey Line6,

I have a bit of a dilemma and I was hoping you could help. I'm ready to purchase the Helix Rack hardware for my studio but then read you were developing a (software) Native version—due this Spring. I'm so tempted to buy the Rack, basically 'cause I'm an impatient person, but was wondering if it was worth waiting for the software version to be released and holding off altogether on the Rack? Sure, I know I could save a $1,000.00 by waiting on the Native version but is there any advantage to owning the Hardware, over the Software?

Cheers, Bob.

Hi,

I'm not Line6, but I believe some of the advantages of owning both the hardware and software would be :

- Great AD conversion... You can obviously have great AD without the Helix, but if you have the Helix hardware, the VST should sound exactly like the hardware

- Zero latency recording... There's other options for that too, but unless you want to listen to your dry signal getting recorded, most other options probably won't be that easy

- You can copy the same patches to your hardware if you ever want to perform your songs live... Or if you just want to play a bit without having to boot your DAW, set up a channel, etc

Probably some other things that I can't think of right now.

I have a Helix Rack + Foot control, and am anxious to get Helix Native. But if I were buying now, I would probably get the LT (+ plugin when it becomes available), as I don't perform at the moment and don't plan to do so any time soon, but I don't have any regrets, as I love my Helix Rack.

• Upvote 1

At the risk of having my forum handle changed to "Captain Obvious", I think the key question is "What would you use the hardware for?"  

If you

• prefer working in the box
  • have a low-latency interface with appropriate impedance input
  • do not intend to use the Helix in a live setting

I don't see a great reason to buy the hardware.  I like the idea of recording through the Helix, capturing both wet and dry inputs.  That gives me a starting point from a tone standpoint but enables me to totally decouple the performance from the preset, optimizing the guitar sound for the mix within the preset.  Also, composite takes can be re-amped and delays/reverbs can be applied within the preset.  Once the sounds have been finalized, they can be saved back to the hardware unit for live use.

If your usage patterns don't particularly look like that, you may come to a very different conclusion when it comes to going software-only.

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the advice and comments.

Of course, the tough questions are, and they're $1,400.00 "wait and see" questions, is how good will the Native version be compared to the hardware? Will the software be just as great, accurate, and responsive as the hardware, and, of course, without latency issues?

As I said, I don't own a Helix Rack but from watching tons of YouTube videos on the product, and being very familiar with software plugins (and how they can tax your CPU), it seems to me the Helix Native will have to carry a lot of weight to match the sounds and responsiveness of the hardware. 

Anyway, I know patience is called for and the Helix Native 15-day free trial will most likely tell me all I need to know to make a wise decision.

Thank you again, I do appreciate your comments and suggestions - and for letting me vent my impatience and curiosity a wee bit. Very helpful. 

All the best. Bob.

I am looking forward to the trial as well.

It could very be that Native will be top dog of the Amp sims as I doubt it would be 

released if inferior to current top amp sims.

If so, that it is also hardware compatible will win a lot of hearts.

For me I havent been using any sims since I got the HD and there have been some 

developments.

All exciting!

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the advice and comments.

Of course, the tough questions are, and they're $1,400.00 "wait and see" questions, is how good will the Native version be compared to the hardware? Will the software be just as great, accurate, and responsive as the hardware, and, of course, without latency issues?

As I said, I don't own a Helix Rack but from watching tons of YouTube videos on the product, and being very familiar with software plugins (and how they can tax your CPU), it seems to me the Helix Native will have to carry a lot of weight to match the sounds and responsiveness of the hardware. 

Anyway, I know patience is called for and the Helix Native 15-day free trial will most likely tell me all I need to know to make a wise decision.

Thank you again, I do appreciate your comments and suggestions - and for letting me vent my impatience and curiosity a wee bit. Very helpful. 

All the best. Bob.

The modeling on the hardware and the plug-in are exactly the same... Latency will depend entirely on your computer and the interface you're using. I'm doubtful that any system will be able to achieve the low latency get with the hardware, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the native's ability to use blocks is limited by my DAW's horsepower and my computer is a vegan-hulk-arachnoid on steroids plus cyber-tech it will hulk-smash my helix just like that. In this scenario I sure cannot transfer my alien-studio-sounds to my gig-rig.

The question is; is there going to be a (switchable) DSP-limiter in Native so I would stay in the helix-able zone of creating tones?

Also, about simulating the physical helix in software-environment, is there going to be same setup of virtual I/O-routing to the Native? For example, running several tracks to the same instance of Native?

p.s. I'm excited. This software is going to be a game-changer to the overall sound of my band. I look forward to run both my bass and my friend's guitar through the same helix! I could tailor our OVERALL-SOUND at ease and transfer it to different situations soooooo much faster and easier. Line6, I love you!

I wonder if anyone could answer to this question/idea? 

I wonder...

Would I be able to easily control the plugin using my POD HD500X? I know when you connect the POD HD to other L6 gear like the M13, the patch changes and such are automatically set up. Would that be the case with Helix Native?

I don't see why this wouldn't work. It would be a matter of having the HD send midi info, programmed into a preset, to your DAW and have stuff in the DAW happen based on the midi info. But you will need some sort of midi-to-usb device for the connection.

• 1 month later...

I think Line6 should take its time and release a product as bug free and robust as possible.  If it takes off though I hope it gets its own additional dedicated developer(s) who can work in tandem with the rest of the Helix team so that development on the Helix and LT can proceed at lightspeed.  The Helix remains my top priority.   :)

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2017 at 10:07 PM, phil_m said:

$99 for Helix owners, $399 for everyone else.

Unless you have the LT, then it's $299.

So not knowing about the software version I decided to buy the LT which does everything I need plus it's my first venture into modelling at this level, until now I'd only used Amplitube on my iPad etc and felt that spending over a $1000 was enough. Now I find that because I only have the LT and not the floor I have to pay three times more for the Native version, my LT was not three times cheaper than the floor so why do I have to pay so much more?

At $99 I would have bought it, and I'm guessing there are others who feel as I do and would also have purchased Native for $99.

I'm just a home / open mic guy who also does some home recording, and as others have said the Native version is a convenience and not a necessity. I'm sure a bigger convenience for some than others but still a convenience, and for me $299 is more than I'm willing to pay just so I don't have to get the actual hardware out.

Maybe I'm missing the point, maybe the Native version isn’t meant for people like me. Maybe it’s only for those professionals who paid the extra for the floor or for real studios that can get their money back from clients?

Maybe it’s a way of getting back the money I saved because I bought the LT and not the floor? Either way I feel it’s a shame that the difference in price between the floor owners and LT owners is so great, I’m sure if they just said it’s $99 for all Helix owners more of us would have purchased it and that would mean a wider user base which can only be a good thing.

Just my 2¢ worth.

BTW I’m British so had to convert the currency in case it’s a little out

1 hour ago, lperry65 said:

Unless you have the LT, then it's $299.

So not knowing about the software version I decided to buy the LT which does everything I need plus it's my first venture into modelling at this level, until now I'd only used Amplitube on my iPad etc and felt that spending over a $1000 was enough. Now I find that because I only have the LT and not the floor I have to pay three times more for the Native version, my LT was not three times cheaper than the floor so why do I have to pay so much more?

At $99 I would have bought it, and I'm guessing there are others who feel as I do and would also have purchased Native for $99.

I'm just a home / open mic guy who also does some home recording, and as others have said the Native version is a convenience and not a necessity. I'm sure a bigger convenience for some than others but still a convenience, and for me $299 is more than I'm willing to pay just so I don't have to get the actual hardware out.

Maybe I'm missing the point, maybe the Native version isn’t meant for people like me. Maybe it’s only for those professionals who paid the extra for the floor or for real studios that can get their money back from clients?

Maybe it’s a way of getting back the money I saved because I bought the LT and not the floor? Either way I feel it’s a shame that the difference in price between the floor owners and LT owners is so great, I’m sure if they just said it’s $99 for all Helix owners more of us would have purchased it and that would mean a wider user base which can only be a good thing.

Just my 2¢ worth.

BTW I’m British so had to convert the currency in case it’s a little out

They JUST had a Memorial Day sale a few weeks back when LT owners could get it for $99. Keep your eyes peeled for the next big holiday period - well, US holiday period - if that's a really big deal to you.