Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V Mod and Delay reversed on Shortboard

shady360

Picked up a Spider V 120 and a shortboard the other day. Programmed some patches and noticed the delay and modulation switches are reversed. For example, if the FBV delay switch is lit up then I really have the modulation on and if the FBV modulation switch is lit up then I really have the delay on. Anyone else encountered this, and is there a fix?

The app switches fine. Let me explain; The Shortboard has Modulation and Delay already fixed on the pedalboard, and to my knowledge cannot be changed or assigned to different buttons like your FBV3. It's like the mapping in the amp software is wrong, and I couldn't find a way to change the mapping. Also, I tried this with 2 different Shortboards and 2 different data cables, so it seems like the issue is within the amp. I'm just trying to figure out from other users if this is an issue that I missed a fix for, or if it's a bug.

How do you remember which effect you assigned to which switch on the FBV3? That's the reason I didn't purchase it vs the Shortboard.

Picked up a Spider V 120 and a shortboard the other day. Programmed some patches and noticed the delay and modulation switches are reversed. For example, if the FBV delay switch is lit up then I really have the modulation on and if the FBV modulation switch is lit up then I really have the delay on. Anyone else encountered this, and is there a fix?

I think this is by design. The labels on the Shortboard are already set to "Stomp/Mod/Delay/Reverb" in that order, but on the Spider V, they actually control the effects in a very specific sequence:

Function 1 will always turn the "Comp" effect on/off

Stomp will always turn FX1 (whatever it is set to) on/off

Modulation will always turn FX2 (whatever it is set to) on/off

Delay will always turn FX3 (whatever it is set to) on/off

Reverb will always turn the Reverb effect on/off

What you are seeing in your pedal is that, for that particular patch where you noticed that the Delay and Mod switches are reversed, in reality what you have is that "FX2" is set to "Delay" on that particular tone and "FX3" is set to "Modulation" on that particular tone.

If you open up the editor app and look at the patch, you will see that FX2 controls the Delay and FX3 controls the Modulation. if you create a patch that has one stomp, one mod and one delay, you can make the labels match if you select FX1 to be the Stomp, FX2 to be the Mod and FX3 to be the delay.

Since you can assign any effect to any FX block, you can have 3 delays, or 3 stomps, for instance, and the labels will never match, but if you pay attention to the Shortboard display, it will always tell you which effect is being turned on/off, so the Shortboard display will always be correct.

• Upvote 1

The app switches fine. Let me explain; The Shortboard has Modulation and Delay already fixed on the pedalboard, and to my knowledge cannot be changed or assigned to different buttons like your FBV3. It's like the mapping in the amp software is wrong, and I couldn't find a way to change the mapping. Also, I tried this with 2 different Shortboards and 2 different data cables, so it seems like the issue is within the amp. I'm just trying to figure out from other users if this is an issue that I missed a fix for, or if it's a bug.

How do you remember which effect you assigned to which switch on the FBV3? That's the reason I didn't purchase it vs the Shortboard.

FBV3 fx are color coded, and you can reassign to positions 2,3, and 4. It's not like the Helix with scribble strips, so you just have to know the fx you are using, though the display will indicate what fx are being disabled or enabled.. The color rings detail things for a more immediate visual feedback of what you have assigned, activated or not.

What I did was keep certain fx sounds in banks. 

Mostly my preset bank will go Clean Crunch Lead Special. These will have standard fx assigned to them for ex, Comp, Dist, Mod, Del, Rev. Typical orders.

The 4th preset of every bank "Special" gets the special features such as certain non standard modulations. So if I use Synth, Octavers, Pitch, Whammy, Multi delays or other special Fx in a song, those are assigned to position 4 of the bank. 

For some songs I have FX assigned in the Special 4th preset of the bank, so those go Comp, Special FX, Special FX, Special FX, Rev.

IOW, FX2,3, and 4 can have anything else I want to use, or sometimes multiples of an effect type which you can do.. for example, Octaver and Synth1 and Synth 2. All those fx are color coded in the FBV3 switch led rings. Dimmed when not enabled, bright when active.

I like consistency in my workflow. FBV3 provides a better solution for having visual feedback to what is happening as you play. Would have been nice to have scribble strips like Helix, but the FBV would cost more than the amp itself which in some cases, it already does.

I'd like to see the Spider V and FBV3 get the "snapshot feature"  but that's going well above the basic use for this type amp, and its costs.

The other shortboards are going to require consistent assigns like you mentioned since they are mapped that way, but they should work.