Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

setup (POD HD pro X or POD HD500X)

GardenOfGraves

Hello,

I'm fairly new to recording, and would like some advice. I had a POD x3 Pro which I was just learning how to use and it unfortunately died, the unit does not power on at all. So I am thinking about buying either the POD HD pro X or POD HD500X (most likely POD HD pro X, because it will be mainly used in my studio for recording and it will be eaiser to use then having a floormodel, but may go with the POD HD500X as it is abit cheaper, either way most likely one of those units).

My questions are about set up as I am new, want to set it up simple and with the equipment I already own. So if I get either POD HD pro X or POD HD500X, and I have a pc with reaper and a set of M-AUDIO BX5 monitor speakers. So is it correct to, connect guitar/bass via guitar in of the POD, then connect the POD to computer via usb, and then  connect the monitor speakers to the XLR balanced outputs at the back of either POD (is that the correct way to connect  monitor speakers? if that is correct do I have it set on line or mic on the switch?), is that the correct method. Or am I missing something and need to buy more equipment?

Is it also possible to connect the monitor speakers to the POD XLR balanced outputs at the same time connecting each 1/4 outputs of the POD to two spider IV 15 amps. Probably not a smart thing to do to have 4 outputs going at once?

Also I live in Australia, so do I have to buy the POD in an Australia store or can I buy one online from americia and it will work with the different power?

Please don't laugh at my stupid questions :) and thanks for any replies.

Hi, Yes, the instruments plug into the POD an the POD to the PC via USB. In Reaper you'll need to select the POD as the input signal source. Now you can record your guitar with Reaper.

But the monitors do not plug into the POD. The POD is not able to see Reaper's outputs. You'll need to plug the monitors into whatever you currently use. If you currently don't use anything then you'll need to setup Reaper to output to one of the PC's line outputs and configure adaptor cables so the monitors can plug into the PC line output.

So now you have:

Guitar -> POD -> USB -> PC/Reaper -> Line Out -> Monitors

You can plug headphones into the POD to just hear guitar. You can plug headphones into the PC to hear whatever Reaper is producing.

You CAN plug the monitors into the headphone output of the POD but you'll only hear the guitar thru the POD. The PC is not required. 

Is it also possible to connect the monitor speakers to the POD XLR balanced outputs at the same time connecting each 1/4 outputs of the POD to two spider IV 15 amps. Probably not a smart thing to do to have 4 outputs going at once?

Yes, you can run all 4 outputs at the same time. There is nothing wrong with it, the unit is more than capable. 

I would not suggest doing it, but it can be done. 

Monitors and amps will give you different tone. 

EDIT

I have not currently got my monitor speakers connected
As I am new I am abit confused.
Is it possible to use the POD HD pro X, connect it via usb to the computer, set my computer playback audio device to the POD (basically making the POD my sound device for all my pc sounds as well as recording in reaper) and then connect the monitor speakers to the XLR outputs of the POD to use the speakers for the POD and all my computer audio. Or do I need 2 sets of speakers, or am I missing something?

Is a solution, is to connect a usb audio interface to my pc, connect the monitor speakers to the audio interface and set the audio interface as my play back device for my pc, so I can hear all pc sounds?
And connect the POD via usb to the pc and set as recording device, (And connect the amp to the POD via the 1/4 outputs so I can listen to the guitar)

Or am I just totally confused, sorry I am new.

Answer for the question 2 above: yes you can plug the PC audio out into the POD but you'll get feedback since it'll also show up in the USB output (USB -> PC -> POD -> back to USB). To keep this from happening you can plug the PC audio out into the POD CD/MP3 input. That audio won't show up at the USB port. But now you'll get guitar tone /duplication/interference since the output of the POD will contain the POD guitar signal as well as the guitar signal coming from the PC (via Reaper). You'll get all sorts of phasing issues. Bad idea...

This may work if you dedicate Path 1 to guitar input and Path 2 to PC input. Then select Path A = Left and Path B = Right. This way the two paths are kept separate and in Reaper only use Left USB input for recording. Plug a single monitor into the right 1/4" output (and a dummy 1/4" into the Left 1/4" output or Left/Right will sum together and destroy the separation between Guitar In and Playback out. You'll lose stereo during playback.

In either case the POD is not setup as a playback device. You'd use the PC analog audio line output to feed into the POD.

Both of these ideas are not normal setups but illustrate the flexibility the signal routing options available to you.

Answer to your last question above. Oh, good, you have an audio interface. That is, by FAR, the preferred setup. Guitar -> USB -> PC -> Reaper -> Audio Interface -> Monitors. Or you can feed the 1/4" or XLR analog outputs of the POD into the audio interface. People have had success either way. If your audio interface has a S/PDIF input then that's the best way to connect the POD.

If you use USB or S/PDIF then you can still use the 1/4" output to connect to an external amp if you wish. Plug in a dummy 1/4" into the other channel to sum left/right together so you get both channels into the amp, if you wish (I think this leaves USB and S/PDIF as true stereo so no effect on Reaper's signal). The XLR outputs are at mic level and meant to be used to drive mixers. You'll probably not use those.

Yes, do it this way.

Thanks for the replies, once again I am new and abit of a slow learner, it is also like reading another language to me as I am new to this.

Just to clarify, I want to make sure I know that I can use it.
I have not got an audio interface as of yet but I was looking at something like M-AUDIO M-Track Quad USB audio interface.

So you say theres two ways? I am not sure if I understand the 1st way but I think I get the 2nd way.

1ST: Where do you connect the POD, do you mean the following.
Guitar > POD > USB > PC > Reaper and then PC > Audio Interface > Monitors (setting the pc audio playback device as Audio Interface and the Recording device as POD?)

2ND: I think I understand this way better
Guitar > POD > XLR outputs(both) > Audio Interface inputs(1and2) and then Audio Interface > pc (via usb) and then Audio Interface outputs > Monitors and setting Reaper up as Audio Device as the Audio Interface?
And I can connect the POD via USB to PC to use HD edit to edit the tones?
Also then I can use the two free 1/4 outputs of the POD to connect to two different amps, if I wish to use amps with the POD if my pc and audio interface is off?

Is the 2nd way correct or should I just give up cause I have no idea haha :( The more I think about it the more confused I make myself

The 2nd method is best for you purposes I think. And yes, you can use HD Edit as described but you may have to revisit the Reaper settings and force it to use the audio interface. When the POD is connected via USB it typically overrides other audio settings by default and sets itself as the audio interface.

The 1st method has a problem: When using the POD as the audio interface you should also use its ASIO driver. The ASIO protocol demands that a single device be used as both the audio input and output device. You can't define the POD to be the input device and another audio interface as the output device unless you use some other driver for the POD - in which case it is an unsupported configuration and may not work properly.

Good point about the ASIO driver. I forgot about that.

The M-AUDIO M-Track Quad USB is a great unit to use. It has S/PDIF (aka Coaxial) so connect it like this:

Guitar -> POD -> S/PDIF -> M-Audio -> PC/Reaper -> M-Audio -> 1/4" out -> monitors.

You still have MAudio 2 analog inputs (XLR 1/4" combo jacks) for mics. keyboards, etc.

You can connect headphones to the MAudio to hear the Reaper output, or use the monitors connected to it.

You can connect headphones to the POD to hear your guitar with or without invoking Reaper.

Plug the 1/4" output of the POD into your guitar amp for loud live playing with or without invoking Reaper.

Lots of options there. I'd say this is the way it was designed to be used for recording - with a separate audio interface.

I have not got an audio interface as of yet but I was looking at something like M-AUDIO M-Track Quad USB audio interface.

Look into the Focusrite 2i4 interface. It's reasonably priced (~$180, give or take), and it comes with a number of DAW plug-ins that are quite good...reverbs, compressors, delays, etc. Very easy to set up, works well with the POD. Been using it for couple of years now, no latency issues. And it will solve the problem of what to do with your monitors.

Thank you all for your awesome help.

The music store in Australia that have the PODs do not have M-AUDIO interface afterall but they have a few different scarlet Focusrite interfaces,, so I might go one of them. Not all have S/PDIF. What are the benefits of S/PDIF? Also if I get an interface with S/PDIF, you connect a S/PDIF cable from the S/PDIF output of the POD and plug it into the S/PDIF input of the interface, which means you don't have to connect the POD via xlr outputs of the pod to the xlr inputs of the interface?
Also does Focusrite have any issues with Reaper?

Now to just decide wheather to buy the POD HD500x or the POD HD pro x, and which interface, looking forward to it.
Once again thanks heaps for the help, cause I really had no idea what I was doing :)

Never messed with S/PDIF connections, so I can't help you much there. I run both 1/4 outs from the POD into the Focusrite, and USB out of the interface to the computer. You could also just run USB out of the POD straight to your computer, and just use the Focusrite for your monitors. Some guys will tell you it's better this way, as there's one less D/A conversion. I've set it up both ways, and frankly, I don't think I could tell the difference if you paid me.

As for Focusrite and Reaper, I know of no specific issues. The interface should be a fairly benign device. Aside from A/D and D/A conversions, it's not really "doing" much except routing signals around.

As mentioned above the problem with using the POD's USB to carry audio into the PC and using an audio interface to drive the monitors is that 2 ASIO drivers need to run at the same, which I bellieve doesn't work. That's why the POD audio needs to get to the PC somehow other than USB. S/PDIF is the best (minimizes the # of data conversions and it doesn't use any of the audio interface's XLR or 1/4" analog inputs). But if your audio interface doesn't have S/PDIF then connect the POD XLR or 1/4" outputs into the audio interface's XLR or 1/4" inputs. You'll use up two of them for stereo. Either will work fine for you but be sure to think about your future needs and get an audio interface with more I/O than you think you'll need. Your comments on interconnections in your last response above are correct.

The main problem people have with audio interfaces is the drivers. RME and M-Audio have notoriously good drivers. M-Audio has notoriously poor customer service (in case something goes wrong which, hopefully, it shouldn't). Focusrite has great hardware but (I've heard) driver updates are slow in coming. Read reviews on other forums to get a feel for what you'll be getting. In my opinion hardware quality is good enough from several vendors now-a-days, so focus on driver stability/quality. That's where most of the frustration comes from (latency, audible clicks/pops, becoming obsolete as Win10 goes thru its various updates over time, etc).

Oh, even using S/PDIF you'll still need to hook the POD up to USB in order to run Line6 Monkey, HD500 Edit, HD500 firmware updates, up/downloading patches/banks, etc.

As mentioned above the problem with using the POD's USB to carry audio into the PC and using an audio interface to drive the monitors is that 2 ASIO drivers need to run at the same, which I bellieve doesn't work.

Well it may not be ideal, but it most definitely works. Did it an hour ago, just to make sure I wasn't nuts.