Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV69s magPU's no sound!

That is odd...usually it's the modeling that craps out. Are you using the VDI connection, or the 1/4" and using the battery? The mags should function like any other guitar on earth, even without the battery. What happens if you just plug in with a 1/4" cable, without the battery in the guitar?

I have tried both vdi and regular guitar cable with and without the battery but with the same result. Yes, it's usually the modeling or just one or two strings that causes problem. I got that on an old 300 but a JTV that is about 2 years old?

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure. Played it off and on today during a couple of hours and no sign of the problem. All good. Don't know what that means. Let us know how it goes for you and I will also write here if there is any change.

Thanks Olake. Good luck. I pulled the model selector knob off and now mine seems to be working. Sure would like to know how to prevent this from reoccurring though. Will post back if any progress with the ticket I filed.

• 4 years later...

Hi guys. I bought the JTV 69S back in 2017 from a certain well known dealer in Germany. From the very start I had the same problem. It's fine on the model guitars, but a soon as I return to the magnetic pickups...Nothing!  I returned it to the Dealer in Germany who had it for three months, and when they returned it, it was just the same, fault included. Sometimes the magnetic pickups work, until I got into the modelling section. When I return to the magnetic pickups again, I get the same result....Nothing! I am going crazy at this stage, because I love the instrument, the feel of it, the magnetic pickup sounds, the modelling sounds etc. If ONLY I could get it to work properly!  Please help!........Pat_Shannon.

Hi psarkkissian

That's a good suggestion, if I can find the guitar's paperwork, which I'm sure I will need. Or can it be registered just by the instrument serial number? I suppose in the event of needing the paperwork, I can always go back to the dealer that I bought it from. In any case I will look into getting it registered right away. Many thanks.......Pat.

• 2 months later...

I have a similar problem with my new JTV-69. Sounds amazing except nothing coming from the low E (6th string) - dead as a Dodo in all settings. Everything else wonderful! Plus the Workbench HD doesn't recognise me even after registering and showing it my driving licence!

This also works for piezos. Alcohol on a cotton swab, let it drip on the piezo, then blow it out with canned air.

The saddle that the piezo sits in acts as the chassis ground/return for the individual piezo signal path. Sometime 

dust or debris can get in there and cause an intermittent connection.

If that doesn't fix it, then it should be check by a Line 6 authorized service center that has experience with this product.

Support's assessment sounds correct, it's a hardware issue.

https://line6.com/find/service_center/

In the UK is,

E & M Electronics
Unit 28, 56 Goulds Close
Bletchley Milton Keynes, MK1 1EQ

+441908375699
line6@eandm.co

And though he's not on the official list, the Mark Wright Music in Northampton. Mark was my opposite number at

Line 6 Rugby, back when we had a location there. He still services Line 6 gear and is really good with Variax guitars.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple years back I tried ordering some plain Chinese strings from eBay.  I often change plains out more often than wrapped strings.  

They arrived appearing to be normal plain steel strings and I replaced high E.  To be safe I quickly tested to make sure modeling worked although I didn’t test the magnetic pickups.  Magnetic pickups always work, right?  

Show opened up and I’m on cruise control with a Spank model.  Next cue switch to magnetic JTV59 bridge pickup and the E string is dead.  NO SOUND.  All other strings normal but nothing high E.  It was like when piezos quit but the reverse.  I finished the Act using modeling which functioned normally.  

Problem is/was the plain strings from eBay were made from non-ferrous non-magnetic metal.  They didn’t produce signal with magnetic pickups although the piezos didn’t care.  

Strange end to that experiment…