Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax bass?

twystedriffs

The Variax bass came out when the first Variax guitar came out. It never caught on. They dumped it and never produced another one. I have one. When it first came out they said it was going to be able to work with Variax Workbench. I believe that would have included the ability to create different tunings. That never materialized. (I have one and that still sticks in my craw a little). I haven't hooked mine up to my Helix yet but it's my understanding that it will provide power and deliver sound. Nothing else let alone the ability to create tunings. So ya gotta find one used if you want to go that way but still no tunings.

brueski, can you alter the tunings via a knob on the bass like the JTVs have?

I'm afraid not. I also have a variax bass and use it with the Helix. It's a pretty amazing piece of gear! I use it almost exclusively in the studio. It's a shame there is no proper variax integration short of the being able to power up the bass. It would be awesome to see integration implemented in a future update. I also wonder if they have any plans to create a new variax bass?