Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Curious..Since the new Spider V has a FRFR speaker..

jordans0nly

They are Full Range, but definitely not flat response. Also, there is no FX loop, so to bypass the front end you'd need a 3.5mm Stereo plug w/two mono 1/4" jacks at the other end to make use of the 2x12 stereo features. There's been several discussions between here and TGP about integrating the Helix with the Spider V and the consensus from L6 seems to be the two products were never intended to be used together.....even though, IMHO, adding a stereo effects loop to the 2x12 combo and the 240HC head would have probably shifted a bunch more units, since people could easily integrate it with Helix at a price point well below the $1000 bucks the FireHawk amp costs.

I posted a bit ago about doing something similar with a Blackstar ID:60. Been playing with that off and on since. Results are mixed,w that particular amp, but it's a nice and compact package, and the ID is nice in its own right.

• 4 months later...

Last night I brought my Helix to a gig and in fact used the Spider V 240 as FRFR cabinet and I can tell you, amazing results!!!!!! instead of connecting in front of the amp you connect in the back of the Spider, that bypass the entire pre amp, effects, everything!!!!! The only thing that works is the volume! Use the AUX IN! The 240 version is a stereo version! from there you can send a L/R to the FOH, also you can use a splitter cable to send the signal from the Helix into a stereo 1/4"cable and send it to the Spider V. There is no way to go wrong guys, I got the same results connecting my Helix into a Line 6 FRFR monitor (L3M), exactly the same with the advantage to use the spider in small environments!

Two new models of that on the way too, a physically lighter version with the exact same speakers, amps, and specs, and an XL version, bigger and more powerful.

I had the early version. It was ok, just not very loud and deceptively heavy for its size. I never got used to its sound.

There's some other threads on this.  Actually,... I don't own one, but apparently there is an 1/8 in stereo Aux In that bypasses the preamp,  You can get a dual 1/4 to 1/8 stereo cable and connect Helix into that.  People have been happy with that.

I've got both, the Helix and the Spider V 120.   Indeed you can run your Helix through the 1/8" aux in the back, bypassing the preamp.  To me, the sound is acceptable but is in no way a replacement for a good FRFR monitor.  I'd like to find someone with a 240 and see if there's a difference.