Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Badly Formatted Message from Helix

Stratotron

I have received a "Badly Formatted Message From This Device" message while trying to copy an amp model from Factory 1 to User 2. After receiving this message I lost Factory 1 and User 2 files. First time I did a 9-10 restore and reloaded previously saved User 1 and User2 files. I issued a work ticket, got a "we will try to duplicate response. A hassle but was able to recover.

I happened again tonight, went through same steps, this time somehow I lost User 2 files. When trying to download backed-up User 2 files, I somehow got Factory 2 files. In the end, I lost User 2 files, about 40 custom made tones and Snapshots.

I narrowed it down to "Rename" function. I copied AC30 Fawn Normal from Factory 1 to User 2. While trying to Rename the file, I got a yellow banner across the top of the editor the says, "Badly Formatted Message From Device" and User 2 files disappeared, all except the non-renamed AC30 Fawn patch.

This really stinks as I have lost all of my tones that I have designed and used since about Thanksgiving. I know what I will be doing for the next couple of weeks.

I amended the Support Ticket.

I have received a "Badly Formatted Message From This Device" message while trying to copy an amp model from Factory 1 to User 2. After receiving this message I lost Factory 1 and User 2 files. First time I did a 9-10 restore and reloaded previously saved User 1 and User2 files. I issued a work ticket, got a "we will try to duplicate response. A hassle but was able to recover.

I happened again tonight, went through same steps, this time somehow I lost User 2 files. When trying to download backed-up User 2 files, I somehow got Factory 2 files. In the end, I lost User 2 files, about 40 custom made tones and Snapshots.

I narrowed it down to "Rename" function. I copied AC30 Fawn Normal from Factory 1 to User 2. While trying to Rename the file, I got a yellow banner across the top of the editor the says, "Badly Formatted Message From Device" and User 2 files disappeared, all except the non-renamed AC30 Fawn patch.

This really stinks as I have lost all of my tones that I have designed and used since about Thanksgiving. I know what I will be doing for the next couple of weeks.

I amended the Support Ticket.

Did you make a backup of all your presets and/or setlists using editor?

The first time it happened, I had backed up 2 days earlier, so was able to restore my setlists.

The second time, I am not sure how, but when I went to restore, User 2 from my computer, it had been overwritten by Factory 1. I have a theory. When copying say from Factory 1 to User 2 in this case, while in copy mode, even though you are seeing the destination location, the Helix is still in the Root file location. I believe this because when I copy a file from on location to the other, after I save the new location, it (sometimes) takes me back to the root location. This has happened a few times. I need to pay closer attention to the left screen showing the directory location. During this particular session, while trying to import, the entire rig locked up, had to shut down. When I re-started, User 2 backup was factory 1. I very likely could have sequences messed up, as I was pretty pissed off at this happening again. 

After sleeping on it, I MAY have figured out why this is happening. For the good of the whole body, I am confessing to what could be a bone head mistake.

While copying a Preset from one Setlist to another, I select the Preset, click "Copy", navigate to the new destination, click "Paste" and then before saving, I have been clicking "Rename", then typing in a new name. It acts like it doesn't like this, (once again, I think the device may still be in the root location, but showing the destination) but I have gotten by using this method until the latest update. This is where I think the breakdown is. I need to save before renaming. In other words, I need to allow it to complete each operation before asking it to do another.

So, I will be modifying my method for copying/saving, and will report back.

• Upvote 1

Good deal, thanks for the update. So many time someone posts something about a problem, but when they find out it was something they were doing, they don't post an update. It's pretty easy to get distracted during the export/import process. I've come close to blowing away a setlist that would have taken weeks to rebuild from scratch. 

This forum is a great place to post our "oops" items, so all can learn from them. 

First off, Line 6 responded to my support ticket and stated that this problem is a bug and will be addressed in the next update.

Secondly, as I had stated, somehow, I overwrote (screwed up and lost) my User 2 backup file. BUT, never giving up:

I open my computer without the Helix connected, and RIGHT CLICKED my (messed up) User 2 backup file. In the dropdown box, there is a line "Revert To Previous Version". I clicked on that and it let me Select  a file named 12/16/16. I Highlighted that which allowed for the Revert tab at the bottom. I clicked that and then hooked up Helix, opened the editor and Imported the Reverted User 2 files. I was able to retrieve most of my lost files.

My new mode will be to save my User files with a date in the file name, instead of overwriting my last saved file. File management 101, y'all! 

I do a weekly backup of bundle, setlists AND individual preset exports. I name the folders with the date. I also have all my IR file names start with the slot number in the Helix (001-128) so they are easy to import in one shot. I tend to be OCD on file management though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well this little bug is going to cost me ALOT of work unless the upgrade comes quickly that keeps the Variax settings and the snapshot settings from my backups!!! Had to do a rebuild. But I can't wait very long. Mostly wish there had been a bigger WATCH OUT FOR THIS warning. Anything else I should know before I put more work in?

• 1 month later...

Wow jbuhajla - you have my sympathy!  I had the exact same thing happen to me at about the 3 week mark of owning my Helix, so I lost mostly mediocre presets.  Thanks to the others above for possible ways to avoid this.  Every time I create a preset that's a keeper, I export it to my desktop (I use Helix editor) and I save a new bundle every time before shutting down for the night (I have every bundle saved with a new number since this happened - they don't take up much space).  All this is less than 5 minutes of work for my peace of mind!