Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Kinda lazy...your top preset purchases?

newimage

Really digging the sounds I'm getting with the helix but keep feeling that I could learn something from the presets for sale from the Yoda-like Helix masters. Using Line 6 L3T as my powered speaker. Any suggestions? Using the Helix for live purposes rather than the studio if that makes difference. Something that totally blew u away and you use daily in your arsenal to rock the world!

I have most of them, just because I wanted to dig deep...

The Fremen Pack and I also have several of TheHelixChannel.com packs from Scott.

The Fremen Pack has fantastic tones, and it comes with tone match IR's that are useful elsewhere too.  But if you want to see how to get the best out of your own creations, I find Scott's most useful.  He also has a lot of free patches and tutorials for specifics.  

I do like Glenn's creations as well, and he also uses tonematching, but I don't find them useful for "learning" how to do it myself.  He often has at least what I see as complex paths and when I try to edit one parameter of one effect, it all goes to hell in a handbasket.... HOWEVER, I still HIGHLY recommend his packs if you want to get specific tones especially for recording.   

Really digging the sounds I'm getting with the helix but keep feeling that I could learn something from the presets for sale from the Yoda-like Helix masters. Using Line 6 L3T as my powered speaker. Any suggestions? Using the Helix for live purposes rather than the studio if that makes difference. Something that totally blew u away and you use daily in your arsenal to rock the world!

What tones are you trying to achieve? Do a bit of research and try yourself, you maybe surprised!

I've bought a couple of the available commercial preset packages and, while none of them are loaded on my Helix currently, there is definitely some good stuff to be had. Really they're not all that expensive, so if you get a few hours of enjoyment out of them and learn a trick or two then it's still more productive and no less cost-effective than going to a movie. I found the Fremen presets are very polished, like studio album guitar tracks. Impressive tones and you could write a book on EQ from what you can learn by de-constructing them, but ultimately they were too polished for my tastes. Just not my thing. Except the Run Like Hell preset which blew my mind. I REALLY liked the Glen Delaune Boutique Amp Simulation package, they were great. Just sounded like snarling electric guitar. I only ever got the first set, evidently there is now a second collection featuring cleaner amps? There's not as much to learn from reverse engineering those because the magic is mostly in his IRs which he captures using stuff that most of us don't have ready access to, so there's that. 

I was really keen to get a perfect Friedman BE-100 preset and so I bought the GDL https://www.glenndelaune.com/patch%20downloads.htm Helix Boutique Amps Simulation Patches Volume I.

The Friedman is killer, and the other amps are also outstanding. He's also made good use of the snapshots.

I also bought Marco Park75 from http://www.marcofanton.it/MFP/Helix_Patches.html it's very good but at 7€/$7/£7 per patch it's quite pricey.

I'm really tempted to buy the Fremen pack since it's been so highly rated - I'm just not keen on re-organising my IRs...

Never met a patch that someone else created that worked for me.

Agree, this includes Fremens, Glenn's, Marco's, and a few from Worship Tutorial. But they were all fun to dig into and learn from and I was glad to support all of them. Also provided me an opportunity to see how different ears compare via my studio gear.

Fremen's working on a new set so you might want to see when that's coming out.

Fremen's working on a new set so you might want to see when that's coming out.

Thanks. But I'm kinda set these days. Which is a really weird thing to say. The only patches I might want are all experimental ones that I've conceived of in my head and want to try to create on the Helix. It is the strangest thing to not have the need to fix something that's really bugging me on the Helix 'cause... nothing really bugs me about it sonically.

Scotts for specific sounds/songs, for example his She Sells Sanctuary and Everlong patches, Fremen for some good general sounds e.g.. Blues for Cocaine and his Rectoball patch for metal, and then Glenn Delaunes Boutique Amp patches for everything else. I use these live all the time and they sound brilliant. I use them as a base and add stuff like a separate path for my piezo acoustic, or a clean amp. Seriously good stuff.

I have only owned my Helix for a month, After reading this thread I thought I would buy a couple of the suggested patches because I have found I am playing less and tweaking more...

I bought  Glenn Delaunes Boutique Amp 1 because I have a Suhr Badger and wanted to A/B,

I bought Fremen's starter pack to A/B against Glenns and ultimately try to learn a little about building patches. I managed to get a couple of evenings playing out of the patches but I don't think I would use any of them full time The Badger was nothing like the real thing in fact to my ears most of the amps with drive just sound fizzy maybe FRFR would change this for me and that is indeed what I intend to try because so far after 35 years playing valve amps nothing in the helix sounds as good

I currently use the Helix through some Bayerdynamic DT770 headphones for quiet practice and 4 cable method through my Suhr badger but only for effects.

I know a month is just the tip of the Iceberg with this machine so any tips and advice would be appreciated, Cheers

Thanks. But I'm kinda set these days. Which is a really weird thing to say. The only patches I might want are all experimental ones that I've conceived of in my head and want to try to create on the Helix. It is the strangest thing to not have the need to fix something that's really bugging me on the Helix 'cause... nothing really bugs me about it sonically.

I should have clarified, I was recommending that to the starter of this topic, or to anyone consider Fremen's stuff.

• 1 year later...

Own Fremen's big pack. I got it fairly on in the helix to help get use out of amps that I'm unfamiliar with (lots of the marshalls and such). We ended up using a couple of his patches as the starting point for some reamping on my band's album. We had real mic'd amps, but wanted to round out a few sections that sounded thing, so we got a couple of Fremen's (one of the AC30 ones from memory) and just reamped those section.

So, they're definitely usable.

I just bought the King's X patches from Matt Chalk - Â£0.99 each

I haven't had a chance to take them for a drive just yet, but really dig them in the demo - bought both the guitar side and bass. Now if I could just find a Ty Tabor patch for his earlier (Lab Series) era tones, I'd be a happy guy.

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2017 at 7:28 AM, rayttk said:

I have only owned my Helix for a month, After reading this thread I thought I would buy a couple of the suggested patches because I have found I am playing less and tweaking more...

I bought  Glenn Delaunes Boutique Amp 1 because I have a Suhr Badger and wanted to A/B,

I bought Fremen's starter pack to A/B against Glenns and ultimately try to learn a little about building patches. I managed to get a couple of evenings playing out of the patches but I don't think I would use any of them full time The Badger was nothing like the real thing in fact to my ears most of the amps with drive just sound fizzy maybe FRFR would change this for me and that is indeed what I intend to try because so far after 35 years playing valve amps nothing in the helix sounds as good

I currently use the Helix through some Bayerdynamic DT770 headphones for quiet practice and 4 cable method through my Suhr badger but only for effects.

I know a month is just the tip of the Iceberg with this machine so any tips and advice would be appreciated, Cheers

I'm like you were a year ago just got a Helix for about a month now and running it through some Beyerdynamic DT770's 80ohm headphones

I'm also spending more time tweaking testing presets and less time playing  I can kill hours wasting time testing  playing  with the different  setting with no clue what they mean just trial and error and  for me  I'm not having fun with it and in the end not getting the sound I'm looking for 

Anyways I'm considering buying some some of Delaunes or Fremens presets just wondering if after a year of using the Helix  along with  the DT770 you or anyone  have any suggestions on  how to get the most out of the DT770 headphones any particular setting that make a difference  and maybe which presets actually sound good through it ?

I go for presets focused on good amp tone (clean, crunch, lead) rather than those trying to duplicate artist/song sounds with lots of effects.

3 Sigma (after tweaking the EQs), Delaune, Fremen. All of them need tweaking, in my opinion, but they're good starting points and can save some time.

I bought my Helix with the best intentions of digging in and creating my own sounds, but soon found I didn't have (more like want to take) time to really deep dive to find the magic on my own.  I picked up a few here and there, but like so many things, what I heard on YouTube didn't even sound close once I downloaded and installed.  Fremen were the best to my ears, and sounded the closest at home as they did on his YT demo.

If you have the time and want to dig in and learn, check out Jason Sadites on YouTube.  He does very detailed tutorials.

• Like 1

There's no way around the inevitable learning curve. Even if you purchase pre-made Presets and IR's, if you don't have the inclination to understand what controls Helix puts in your hands, you are likely to be disappointed. There are simply too many factors between the pre-made stuff and what you will be listening on, playing with, and more.

Jason Sadites' YouTube videos and many by others too, are an exceptional resource. These will get you up and going quickly. However, there is no way to absorb everything in a single instance. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 11:50 AM, TonyHay said:

My favourites are the Michael Britt patches. They’re fantastic. I also like patches by Fremen and Glen Delaune. Did not really like the ones by 3Sigma.

I hadn't heard of the Michael Britt patches, so gave them a listen and ended up buying them. It's a generous collection of 32 Helix presets, and they've become some of my new faves. Not a bummer in the bunch. Great tone, plus the collection provides really useful notes by Michael, as well as his full collection of custom IRs (14 of which are used by the presets). Perfect for rock, country, and blues stuff. The IRs alone are worth the price of admission.

On 18/03/2018 at 7:16 PM, MarkeG said:

I'm like you were a year ago just got a Helix for about a month now and running it through some Beyerdynamic DT770's 80ohm headphones

I'm also spending more time tweaking testing presets and less time playing  I can kill hours wasting time testing  playing  with the different  setting with no clue what they mean just trial and error and  for me  I'm not having fun with it and in the end not getting the sound I'm looking for 

Anyways I'm considering buying some some of Delaunes or Fremens presets just wondering if after a year of using the Helix  along with  the DT770 you or anyone  have any suggestions on  how to get the most out of the DT770 headphones any particular setting that make a difference  and maybe which presets actually sound good through it ?

There is hope for you do not despair!

I love the Helix so much I would not be without it, this what I did to get to where I am now,

I sold my Badger amp and bought a Yamaha. DXR 10

I made a new patch and put a looper first in the chain, then add an amp then a IR ,

I prefer them to the helix cabs, Ownhammer 4x12 is my preferred choice turn low cut upto 110 and high cut to 4.8.

I have the DXR at gig volume , record a riff into the looper, play it back and cycle through the amps till you find one at stock settings that you like and work from there trying overdrive, reverb etc.

Dont just worry about brand or what real world amps should sound like just play through Helix till you find what sounds good to you 

• 3 months later...

Just sumbled across that thread, thanks for your comments guys ! I released another pack for firmware 2.30/2.50 since, and I'm currently working on smaller metal packs, which will also feature the latest amp models from 2.60