Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can the Helix control my 19" rack Marshall JMP-1

Schneidas

Hi guys,

was just about to take the plunge to add a 19" rack FX plus midi mate controller plus pedal to my band's jamming rig, which mainly uses the sound of a Marshall JMP-1 rack preamp into a power tube amp plus 4x12 cab.

Now, after thinking about it, why not go full Helix for FX only and use the JMP-1 as preamp sounds which then will be fed into a real power amp and physical 4x12 Marshall box?

I have setup 12 sounds on my JMP-1 that are on programs 1 to 12. These are all the sounds I need - nothing more, nothing less.

I would just need Helix to be able to recall each programm whenever I press one of its patch buttons. Can it do that?

Can Helix switch patches on my JMP-1?

That would be the ultimate controller for me if that was possible. Why go through 3 more units when I could have it all in one place and use the Helix' FX?

I think there are some really good reasons for you not to get a Helix.

If all the amp sounds you want already come form equipment you already have, what you really need is something to control your effects and switch you amp at the same time.  There are lots of midi enabled switchers like those from The Gig Rig, and there is the FX8 from fractal.

The Helix is a fantastic amp + cab + Mic simulator.  It's a good FX box, but I don't think if that's all you need it's the best answer.

If you want the Helix for recording or some other use as well as an FX unit with midi capability, then, naturally it's going to be a great purchase - but not what I'd suggest if you only want FX and switching.

• Upvote 1

I think there are some really good reasons for you not to get a Helix.

If all the amp sounds you want already come form equipment you already have, what you really need is something to control your effects and switch you amp at the same time.  There are lots of midi enabled switchers like those from The Gig Rig, and there is the FX8 from fractal.

The Helix is a fantastic amp + cab + Mic simulator.  It's a good FX box, but I don't think if that's all you need it's the best answer.

If you want the Helix for recording or some other use as well as an FX unit with midi capability, then, naturally it's going to be a great purchase - but not what I'd suggest if you only want FX and switching.

Thanks for your post bro.

I did consider an FX8.

The thing that keeps me from going this way is that if I want to spend that kind of money on FX, the Helix offers amp models in addition to great FX.

So I can use it for recording directly as well. The FX8 does not offer this. So even if the FX8 has better effects and JMP-1 switching capabilites, it ultimately looses against the better-priced Helix, which also offers me amps and cabs for additional flavors.

Now, if the FX-8 was $800 - 900, I'd strongly consider it instead.