Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I don't need any more amps

Thurston9

Just saying...

At this point I would MUCH prefer seeing updates with improvements throughout the Helix, maybe a new pedal thrown in here and there.  There are more amps than I think I'll even get to, can't imagine not being able to find an amp-based sound I'm looking for in the current amp selection.

• Upvote 5

I disagree, but only because there are some real staples missing from Helix. I dont need 2 cool new amps every update, but Line 6 should want to get the real staples in the menu. Engl Powerball, Bogner Ectasy, JMP 2203, Fender Champ (for you zooey :) ) come to mind right off the bat.  After 5 or 10 more total, yes i think there are many other things.

An analyzer for the EQ section would be nice, the deepest level of cabinet control possible including equal attention to the mics, an acoustic sim, a couple models of great DI boxes, one or two more real strong compressor options, much better IR handling, and thats it. That would pretty much make Helix the perfect device IMO.

• Upvote 1

Rather than more amps, they should focus on filling in the hole of the very sparse filter category, and some HX reverbs. But even before that, some core functionality improvements others have brought up on the forum. One big one that comes to mind is multiple splits and merges per path. IR management and the update process are a couple of others. But even before any of this, that DigiTech FreqOut pedal would be awesome.

• Upvote 1

Apart from a Polytone for us jazzers I basically agree with the OP. 

I'd like to see a presets system for each effect type  and maybe a much improved set of reverbs. 

Theres many functionality improvements on Ideascape that would add more value than yet another amp model. 

Rather than more amps, they should focus on filling in the hole of the very sparse filter category, and some HX reverbs. But even before that, some core functionality improvements others have brought up on the forum. One big one that comes to mind is multiple splits and merges per path. IR management and the update process are a couple of others. But even before any of this, that DigiTech FreqOut pedal would be awesome.

Yeah that thing looks awesome

Kind of funny to me that people are asking Line 6 to create a model of pedal that isn't even available for purchase yet... What if it sucks? :D

Kind of funny to me that people are asking Line 6 to create a model of pedal that isn't even available for purchase yet... What if it sucks? :D

It sure doesn't sound like it's gonna suck.

It would be even funnier if Line 6 created their own, original model that does the same thing, or nearly so, as the FreqOut, and released it before the FreqOut is available. Haha.

• Upvote 1

I certainly don't need anymore amps. There's already such a wide variety of amps available that I think any more, the differences in the amps' tonalities will start to become fairly subtle.  I think it's more important to focus on usability, stability, and an easier, less treacherous feeling means of updating the firmware. Preferably one that doesn't erase your existing patches and IRs.  

I too would rather see focus on quality and stability over new amp modeling. My Helix froze up durning rehearsal last night. No real explanation. The display was working, but there was no response from any button or pedal. Had to reboot. First time I recall that happening on a patch that I use all the time and haven't updated recently. Still on 2.11.

I'd also prefer to see more emphasis on effects and improved speaker modeling as I think these both have a greater impact on available tones than adding another amp model. 

Going forward, I'd also prefer to see more new Line6 amp models like Litigator with more options for distortion voicing we can change. This is tube rather than transistor stomp distortion. Its time to move beyond reproducing the compromises of the past and start building for the digital future. I'm not saying I wouldn't be interested in additional replications of existing analog amps. I'm just saying that with limited resources, that wouldn't be my preferred priority.

Amsdenj said:

"Going forward, I'd also prefer to see more new Line6 amp models like Litigator with more options for distortion voicing we can change. This is tube rather than transistor stomp distortion. Its time to move beyond reproducing the compromises of the past and start building for the digital future."

For those of us who've been using S-Gear in parallel with the POD, then the Helix, we know (we hope) that the Helix has the potential to be our live performance perfect solution!

I too would rather see focus on quality and stability over new amp modeling. My Helix froze up durning rehearsal last night. No real explanation. The display was working, but there was no response from any button or pedal. Had to reboot. First time I recall that happening on a patch that I use all the time and haven't updated recently. Still on 2.11.

I'd also prefer to see more emphasis on effects and improved speaker modeling as I think these both have a greater impact on available tones than adding another amp model.

Going forward, I'd also prefer to see more new Line6 amp models like Litigator with more options for distortion voicing we can change. This is tube rather than transistor stomp distortion. Its time to move beyond reproducing the compromises of the past and start building for the digital future. I'm not saying I wouldn't be interested in additional replications of existing analog amps. I'm just saying that with limited resources, that wouldn't be my preferred priority.

Agreed. A few more amp models, some original, some reproduction like the XTC. Other than that I agree about the cabs & FX, especially reverbs. Looking forward to HX reverbs.

Stability, a little more mature drivers, and some functionality.

1. Stability

HX reverbs and mono HX reverbs

Tuner stability

Level meter(s)

More Effects

Additions to user requested or L6 inspired functionality, e.g. MIDI clock, Workbench (coming in next firmware update).

Continue to optimize DSP usage (also upcoming in next firmware release).

IR management, an increase of the number of available IR slots, and perhaps even an increase to the size of the IR that can be loaded.

Multiple tap for tempo control instead of current double-tap

More Amps

Real Time Analyzer and graphical visual curve for parametric EQ

Ability to restore presets from flash drive if the current USB connection can be adapted with inexpensive flash drive and cable solution.

Give an option to get rid of the camera icon that eats up six scribble strip characters or replace it with a 1 character indicator so that I can more descriptively name my snapshots. Provide a ten footswitch snapshot mode. If these two things happened it might become preferable to just use an all snapshot mode instead of the snap/stomp mode I currently use.

Continue to work on reducing latency between preset switches and eliminate issue with feature/bug that causes the trails to glitch if certain parameters are changed from one snapshot to the next.

Polyphonic tracking for effects if possible

• Upvote 1

1. Stability
  2. HX reverbs and mono HX reverbs
  3. Tuner stability
  4. Level meter(s)
  5. More Effects
  6. Additions to user requested or L6 inspired functionality, e.g. MIDI clock, Workbench (coming in next firmware update).
  7. Continue to optimize DSP usage (also upcoming in next firmware release).
  8. IR management, an increase of the number of available IR slots, and perhaps even an increase to the size of the IR that can be loaded.
  9. Multiple tap for tempo control instead of current double-tap
  10. More Amps
  11. Real Time Analyzer and graphical visual curve for parametric EQ
  12. Ability to restore presets from flash drive if the current USB connection can be adapted with inexpensive flash drive and cable solution.
  13. Give an option to get rid of the camera icon that eats up six scribble strip characters or replace it with a 1 character indicator so that I can more descriptively name my snapshots. Provide a ten footswitch snapshot mode. If these two things happened it might become preferable to just use an all snapshot mode instead of the snap/stomp mode I currently use.
  14. Continue to work on reducing latency between preset switches and eliminate issue with feature/bug that causes the trails to glitch if certain parameters are changed from one snapshot to the next.
  15. Polyphonic tracking for effects if possible

If I wanted to get detailed with mine it would look a lot like this list. Almost in the same priorities.  Though if I am being completely honest...

Same list all but this part.

5. more FX

6. Mic placement (not just in distance) of HX cabs

7. more cabinets

8. more amps, 

9. continuing on with the list above.

How long do you think it'll take to build out and fully test each one of those features? You're looking at several years work, assuming there's nothing else they want or need to do.

A huge list of high priority items is a lot like having no priorities at all.

1. Stability

2. Upgrade process

3. IR management

4. Anything else

• Stability
  • HX reverbs and mono HX reverbs
  • Tuner stability
  • Level meter(s)
  • More Effects
  • Additions to user requested or L6 inspired functionality, e.g. MIDI clock, Workbench (coming in next firmware update).
  • Continue to optimize DSP usage (also upcoming in next firmware release).
  • IR management, an increase of the number of available IR slots, and perhaps even an increase to the size of the IR that can be loaded.
  • Multiple tap for tempo control instead of current double-tap
  • More Amps
  • Real Time Analyzer and graphical visual curve for parametric EQ
  • Ability to restore presets from flash drive if the current USB connection can be adapted with inexpensive flash drive and cable solution.
  • Give an option to get rid of the camera icon that eats up six scribble strip characters or replace it with a 1 character indicator so that I can more descriptively name my snapshots. Provide a ten footswitch snapshot mode. If these two things happened it might become preferable to just use an all snapshot mode instead of the snap/stomp mode I currently use.
  • Continue to work on reducing latency between preset switches and eliminate issue with feature/bug that causes the trails to glitch if certain parameters are changed from one snapshot to the next.
  • Polyphonic tracking for effects if possible

How long do you think it'll take to build out and fully test each one of those features? You're looking at several years work, assuming there's nothing else they want or need to do.

A huge list of high priority items is a lot like having no priorities at all.

Did I miss something? This thread was not titled "three immediate high priority items only". The way I read it the OP is simply saying that he has other higher priorities than new amps. Perhaps not a "huge" list but one that takes us somewhat further into the future seems like a perfectly legitimate way to prioritize. Nothing wrong with taking a somewhat longer view. Why is your list that only has a few items with everything else covered under your heading "Anything else" any more a legitimate way to prioritize than a longer more specific list that takes us further out through the development process? Frankly I just took your list format and fleshed it out a bit and perhaps took it a little further into the future in order of my own priorities.

I think most items on my list are fairly low hanging fruit and could be executed in a more timely fashion than several years. I think "several years" is quite an assumption considering that we don't know what they currently have in the hopper and development time is somewhat contingent on how many resources you dedicate. The only items that appear like they could potentially take years to develop would be polyphonic tracking and the general item regarding "whatever users and L6 dream up". One might also argue that stability is to some extent a long-term goal as true stability often does not appear until the product matures and the development cycle slows. There is a tension that must be managed between stability and new features as new features can introduce new bugs or reactivate old ones.

Additionally why shouldn't the list include short-term items like tuner stability, level meters, and HX reverbs as well as long-term goals? I would agree that cumulatively when you put together the different priorities of all the users on the forum you are looking potentially at years of development. Line6 sticking with the development of the first generation of the Helix for that long would definitely surpass my expectations.

This started as an opinion poll on whether or not we need more amps. It's turned into a wish list. Isn't there a thread dedicated to that? Or maybe it's called Ideascale or some such?

I definitely see your point about overlap with other threads and Ideascale. However, threads that start with detailing what people think to be a low or high priority have a way of evolving/devolving into others listing their own priorities. Users posting a list of priorities with new amps listed somewhere towards the middle or bottom is a way of demonstrating agreement with the OP's opinion.  I am surprised we haven't yet seen this digress into a discussion of the various merits and vagaries of the Helix amps and just how many there should be and how many amps other competing devices have. I suppose a simple "I agree/disagree" would do for this thread but that would mean way less interesting albeit less redundant posts. Where's the fun in that?  ;)

• Upvote 1

How about an mxr Distortion plus probably the smoothest or for lack of a better description cleanest sounding distortion but always had to use it with an EQ after it. And also the mxr full-bore metal that pedal sounds so good with a totally clean transistor amp you can get the crunchiest metal tone you ever heard with it using a clean transistor amp, that's right I found a unicord stage 400 210 amp on the side of the road and put two Jensen mod speakers in it and had one bad transistor it is a super clean amp not really usable for me except for when I plug in that mxr full-bore Distortion in front of it then it sounds like a serious metal rig.