Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I don't need any more amps

Thurston9

Is there REALLY Helix stability problems? Mikes hasn't never skipped a beat. I'm seeing guys on the Facebook group who have had a Helix for a week moaning about it glitching etc and I'm thinking hmmmmm talking bulllollipop there my friend

It seems to be the word on everyone's lips right now and it would be sad if anyone got put off reading this forum or elsewhere by something that seems to me to be exaggerated and the favourited moan of the month

The midi clock guys outta have something to do now right?

I'm definitely in the NO MORE AMPS category!  (Or rather that is very low on my list of priorities.)

Here's my wish list for what it is worth....

Number 1

IR management system.  To be honest I never use IR's just because I don't want to deal with the organisation problems!!

Number 2-5 

There are many usability upgrades that forum members have been suggesting like extra path splits/merges , output assignability, reassignment of footswitches etc that would be way up on my list.   People who use Helix on a regular basis have come across limitations and made these suggestions... obviously they would make a difference for a lot of users and enable more complicated patches and functionality to be built.

Number 6

HX Reverbs.  I don't have a massive problem with Helix reverbs, but I would love to have HX versions.

Number 7-10

NEW FX - Filters, synths and also more cool and unusual FX - things like the EHX Freeze, SuperEgo, B9, and the new FreqOut spring to mind.

Number 11

New amps (and cabs)

Having said all that I am pretty happy with Helix right now  :)  Good work L6

Is there REALLY Helix stability problems? Mikes hasn't never skipped a beat. I'm seeing guys on the Facebook group who have had a Helix for a week moaning about it glitching etc and I'm thinking hmmmmm talking lollipop there my friend

It seems to be the word on everyone's lips right now and it would be sad if anyone got put off reading this forum or elsewhere by something that seems to me to be exaggerated and the favourited moan of the month

The midi clock guys outta have something to do now right?

If it's never happened to you, then there's no problem. For the rest of us who've had it lock up, stall out, crash and burn (if you happen to be performing), no, it's not an exaggeration or our imaginations. The frustration arises from the apparent randomness of the problems. The first thing support needs to know is, can it be reproduced? Even if you can remember exactly what you were doing - for instance, "I was playing my guitar in xyz factory preset" (has happened to me more than once, not often, but never in the same preset) -  that's not very helpful if it doesn't happen every time. Here's a good one for ya - I use the Helix as audio interface, which allows me to use both the Helix amps/presets and the excellent sounds from S-Gear, BIAS and TH3. So one time I'm jamming along with an S-Gear preset when suddenly the helix goes silent! Nothing in the Helix preset, just a blank signal chain. There's still signal going into the DAW, levels are registering in Sonar and S-Gear, so the interface portion of the Helix OUTGOING is still functional. If there were (much requested) signal level meters on the Helix I'd be able to tell if the return from the DAW is working but, in any case, no sound out of the Helix. A week later, it happened in a TH3 preset. I no longer have a separate interface, but before Helix, before POD HD, with an ancient M-Audio Fast Track Pro, NEVER had that happen.

Yes, my friend, Helix glitches are real!

As to people being frightened away by the truth, that's life in the digital world. An A/B box to a backup basic analog pedalboard saves the day!

I don't know. I'm just excited to see what's coming. The thing is, many are wishing for a few models, and often it's not the same models. I probably wouldn't have much use for a XTC or a Engl amp, but would love to see a Suhr Bella, Tone King, two rock or a Milkman amp. So everyone's got different tastes, so they have to release more amps in my opinion, especially since I think they're getting even better at it (Matchless, Mark IV, 2204 Mod, Litigator, Archon to name some of the awesome amps that have been released the past year).

Now whether they should release something else first, I don't have strong opinion about that. We already know that the next firmware will provide new functionality and a lot of updates for the low end lowers (bass amps and effects looks seriously dope!) and that the whole update / IR mangement will get easier once Helix Native is released.

I think the next major thing would be bringing the Reverbs up to HX-level. Now if they could make something like a EHX B9/C9/M9 mashup I wouldn't complain ;)

I don't know. I'm just excited to see what's coming. The thing is, many are wishing for a few models, and often it's not the same models. I probably wouldn't have much use for a XTC or a Engl amp, but would love to see a Suhr Bella, Tone King, two rock or a Milkman amp. So everyone's got different tastes, so they have to release more amps in my opinion, especially since I think they're getting even better at it (Matchless, Mark IV, 2204 Mod, Litigator, Archon to name some of the awesome amps that have been released the past year).

Now whether they should release something else first, I don't have strong opinion about that. We already know that the next firmware will provide new functionality and a lot of updates for the low end lowers (bass amps and effects looks seriously dope!) and that the whole update / IR mangement will get easier once Helix Native is released.

I think the next major thing would be bringing the Reverbs up to HX-level. Now if they could make something like a EHX B9/C9/M9 mashup I wouldn't complain ;)

Agreed. Unique sounding amps like the ones you mention and the Deacy would certainly be welcome but more of the sort of same sounding high gain amps, would be superfluous.

Agreed. Unique sounding amps like the ones you mention and the Deacy would certainly be welcome but more of the sort of same sounding high gain amps, would be superfluous.

Thing is players that dont use the high gain stuff much often state that all high gain amps sound the same.

There needs to be a few more in the Helix before its all done. XTC, another Engl, and an original high Gain amp. (not counting the one comming in Feb). That said after the Bass Feb update. I would prefer L6 for their next amp be something other than high gain, because we just recently got the Archon, and before that the mk IV.

Thing is players that dont use the high gain stuff much often state that all high gain amps sound the same.

There needs to be a few more in the Helix before its all done. XTC, another Engl, and an original high Gain amp. (not counting the one comming in Feb). That said after the Bass Feb update. I would prefer L6 for their next amp be something other than high gain, because we just recently got the Archon, and before that the mk IV.

Well, to me, the Archon and the Mesa are are very unique sounding and I like having them on the Helix.

Well, to me, the Archon and the Mesa are are very uniques sounding and I like having them on the Helix.

Me too, especially the Archon. Its stellar for metal.

I was just stating that since we got those recently, and the one in Feb.. that I would rather their next amp not be high gain. For instance with the update following the one we get in Feb, (let that be a good clean, or slight break up amp) but it would really nice to have the XTC by year's end, or perhaps Fall. It is a highly requested amp.

There is still some more high gain ground to cover before it gets too redundant.

Me too, especially the Archon. Its stellar for metal.

I was just stating that since we got those recently, and the one in Feb.. that I would rather their next amp not be high gain. For instance with the update following the one we get in Feb, (let that be a good clean, or slight break up amp) but it would really nice to have the XTC by year's end, or perhaps Fall. It is a highly requested amp.

There is still some more high gain ground to cover before it gets too redundant.

Yes this was point. They will continue to model different amps for different styles of players. Maybe we could take a Marshall or a Fender and "mod" them with eqs to get close to a Two rock or Friedman etc, but many would probably prefer to have the specific amp modeled instead. So a few more amp models wouldn't hurt ;)

Yes this was point. They will continue to model different amps for different styles of players. Maybe we could take a Marshall or a Fender and "mod" them with eqs to get close to a Two rock or Friedman etc, but many would probably prefer to have the specific amp modeled instead. So a few more amp models wouldn't hurt ;)

Well, I do see a couple of advantages to that approach. If you don't have to use an EQ to match the sound of an amp, it does free up some DSP for other effects you might want and it eases the work in patch creation if the amp is already there.  It's just that there are definitely other aspects of the Helix that are equally important and are still waiting to be dealt with.  Firmware updating for one and as others have mentioned, the effects need attention too.  I've put up some ideas on Ideascale that I would love to see implemented as I think that the Helix needs to have more creative options on its effects side.  I'm not talking about specific effects, but controls for modulating the effects. LFO, Randomizer and ADSR parameters added to modulate time based effects would be super cool, I think.  The Randomizer is especially intriguing to me for modulation effects as the exact and mechanical ebb and flow of say, a chorus effect, would be much more interesting if the rate and depth and even the waveform could be subtly an predictably varied by a randomizer. I hate to use this word but it would make modulation effects sound more... "organic".

• Upvote 1

Well, I do see a couple of advantages to that approach. If you don't have to use an EQ to match the sound of an amp, it does free up some DSP for other effects you might want and it eases the work in patch creation if the amp is already there.  It's just that there are definitely other aspects of the Helix that are equally important and are still waiting to be dealt with.  Firmware updating for one and as others have mentioned, the effects need attention too.  I've put up some ideas on Ideascale that I would love to see implemented as I think that the Helix needs to have more creative options on its effects side.  I'm not talking about specific effects, but controls for modulating the effects. LFO, Randomizer and ADSR parameters added to modulate time based effects would be super cool, I think.  The Randomizer is especially intriguing to me for modulation effects as the exact and mechanical ebb and flow of say, a chorus effect, would be much more interesting if the rate and depth and even the waveform could be subtly an predictably varied by a randomizer. I hate to use this word but it would make modulation effects sound more... "organic".

Agreed. I am saying that their are still amps that should be included (even originals) high gain and otherwise.. But they don't have to be a number one priority. 

However I fully agree with you on other aspects such as the effects, cabs, and other attributes that are just as important, and atm maybe even more so than "more amps." I will state as an observation that since launch (with all the updates so far) that "more amps" seems to have fallen to a lower position on the priority list for most of us Helix users.  L6 has done a good job checking the boxes on Amp requests, and have also thrown us some we didn't ask for, but now since we got them we absolutely are thrilled with them. 

• Upvote 1

I need two more. A DSL 100 and a H&K Grandmeister deluxe 40. With them and Helix there should not be anything I can't do hardware wise. Finger wise Im still needing a bit O work lol  :P

Well after writing that and chewing on it for a few days...., I think I've changed my mind on the hardware part... If I can't make a Helix or a Kemper do what I want then it's not my equipment that's the issue here... Maybe an acute bout of G.A.S. perhaps...  ;)

Well, I do see a couple of advantages to that approach. If you don't have to use an EQ to match the sound of an amp, it does free up some DSP for other effects you might want and it eases the work in patch creation if the amp is already there. It's just that there are definitely other aspects of the Helix that are equally important and are still waiting to be dealt with. Firmware updating for one and as others have mentioned, the effects need attention too. I've put up some ideas on Ideascale that I would love to see implemented as I think that the Helix needs to have more creative options on its effects side. I'm not talking about specific effects, but controls for modulating the effects. LFO, Randomizer and ADSR parameters added to modulate time based effects would be super cool, I think. The Randomizer is especially intriguing to me for modulation effects as the exact and mechanical ebb and flow of say, a chorus effect, would be much more interesting if the rate and depth and even the waveform could be subtly an predictably varied by a randomizer. I hate to use this word but it would make modulation effects sound more... "organic".

Yeah, I totally agree that there's other things to focus on. I know a lot are wishing for LFO.

I imagine that some things will take a lot of time to do and others a shorter time.

So while they're working on say HX reverbs they might at the same time be working on modeling a couple of amps.

And while they are working on polyphonic pitch effects (just an example) they can release some cabs etc.

So I don't think this is mutually exclusive.

They've could've released A LOT more amps, imo, if they hadn't worked on 1) an editor, 2) snapshots, 3) midiclock, 4) Workbench etc ... but I'm glad that they didn't. I think they've provided the right mix of functionality and content, very balanced. So I think they should just keep up with what they're doing already. Either way I'm excitedly looking forward to the updates to come :)

Yeah, I totally agree that there's other things to focus on. I know a lot are wishing for LFO.

I imagine that some things will take a lot of time to do and others a shorter time.

So while they're working on say HX reverbs they might at the same time be working on modeling a couple of amps.

And while they are working on polyphonic pitch effects (just an example) they can release some cabs etc.

So I don't think this is mutually exclusive.

They've could've released A LOT more amps, imo, if they hadn't worked on 1) an editor, 2) snapshots, 3) midiclock, 4) Workbench etc ... but I'm glad that they didn't. I think they've provided the right mix of functionality and content, very balanced. So I think they should just keep up with what they're doing already. Either way I'm excitedly looking forward to the updates to come :)

Yeah, the thing with the LFO is that we essentially already have it. You're using an LFO to control the oscillation of the Chorus (rate) for example. It just needs to be instructed to control other parameters. A "freelance LFO". Lol

Yeah, the thing with the LFO is that we essentially already have it. You're using an LFO to control the oscillation of the Chorus (rate) for example. It just needs to be instructed to control other parameters. A "freelance LFO". Lol

So maybe not that time consuming to implement? Cool. It would be awesome and be a welcome for creative use :)

Something like this would greatly increase the power inside Helix. I would imagine if they did this, it would be another controller. Would that mean if a parameter is already attached to a controller, could an additional controller be used for that same parameter? Could multiple controllers per parameter even be done?

Something like this would greatly increase the power inside Helix. I would imagine if they did this, it would be another controller. Would that mean if a parameter is already attached to a controller, could an additional controller be used for that same parameter? Could multiple controllers per parameter even be done?

Interesting question, duncann.  Only Line6 would know the true answer to that but couldn't that cause a kind of "tug of war" conflict between the controllers or is that what you're after for creativity's sake? I could see where it could give some very interesting results.

Controller mixer blocks? Doubt it, simplicity and ease of use are super important.

I don't think it would become a mixer block.  It could become just another parameter page for certain applicable effects and it really doesn't have to impact the Helix's ease of use - if it's done right.  It could also reside in the controllers page where it can be assigned to any parameter(s) the Helix and still not impede ease of use as you can simply ignore it.

Interesting question, duncann.  Only Line6 would know the true answer to that but couldn't that cause a kind of "tug of war" conflict between the controllers or is that what you're after for creativity's sake? I could see where it could give some very interesting results.

The idea is this:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Auto-wah-or-auto-EVERYTHING-for-Helix/727014-23508

or

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Modulation-Sources-LFO-s-Envelopes-Envelope-Followers-ect/774179-23508

There might be additional similar ideas floating around on ideascale, but these two came up readily in a search.

• Upvote 1

The idea is this:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Auto-wah-or-auto-EVERYTHING-for-Helix/727014-23508

or

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Modulation-Sources-LFO-s-Envelopes-Envelope-Followers-ect/774179-23508

There might be additional similar ideas floating around on ideascale, but these two came up readily in a search.

Yup.  Voted both of those ideas up ages ago.  

Here is my contribution.  https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/An-LFO-and-an-ADSR/811573-23508

• Upvote 1