Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi 150 "restarts" after playing a while

BOCTOK55

This started last night. I was playing along with my music, using headphones and all of a sudden, the amp did this restart. I got the 4 blinking lights for a few seconds and then it went back to normal, although, not on the preset that it was on. I thought it was just a glitch and went on playing, after I had set the preset and started the song again. After a few minutes, it did it again. Power supply going out? I highly suggest for the next firmware/app update, some sort of function test.

• 1 month later...

Mine was doing the same thing. Would randomly reboot back to the first preset and sometimes light up every 3rd or so led on the led ring around the volume knob. Had to bring it to line 6 to get it fixed. They had to swap out the motherboard or whatever they call the main board. $100 (if I recall correctly) since it was out of warranty

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi there,

Same problem here.

After checking everything (cables, iPad, Mac, reset coreaudio, temp, power source, reloaded the firmware etc …) I finally found out that it was a specific preset that was causing the reboot.

I deleted it immediately and now the amp do not reboots anymore.

Hope this helps.

Hi,I ve got a similar problem, I own an amplifi 75 and after I used for some minutes, different exact time every time it happens, it crashes with a high and hissing sound and then restarts. Can anyone help or has the same problem

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, Same problem here. After checking everything (cables, iPad, Mac, reset coreaudio, temp, power source, reloaded the firmware etc …) I finally found out that it was a specific preset that was causing the reboot. I deleted it immediately and now the amp do not reboots anymore. Hope this helps.

Sorry, the randomly reboots are still there. So the cause it is not only the preset … :( :( 
I decided to bring it to my music shop. They have had 3 random reboots during the 2 first days of testing but since then (10 days) no more reboots at all …:huh:  
So they don't know what to do and which part they need to replace (main board or power supply).
They called Yamaha but they do not know anything about this problem.
I'll keep you updated.
It would be great if Line6 could give the dealers some informations on how to investigate that kind of problem.;) 

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, the randomly reboots are still there. So the cause it is not only the preset … :( :(

I decided to bring it to my music shop. They have had 3 random reboots during the 2 first days of testing but since then (10 days) no more reboots at all …:huh:

So they don't know what to do and which part they need to replace (main board or power supply).

They called Yamaha but they do not know anything about this problem.

I'll keep you updated.

It would be great if Line6 could give the dealers some informations on how to investigate that kind of problem.;)

I went ahead and ordered a main board replacement from Full Compass ($125). Hopefully, that will do the trick. If not, I'll order the power supply. They stock both. I have yet to install the new main board, but I'll keep you posted.

I went ahead and ordered a main board replacement from Full Compass ($125). Hopefully, that will do the trick. If not, I'll order the power supply. They stock both. I have yet to install the new main board, but I'll keep you posted.

I'm really looking forward to your report here, миÑтер ВоÑток, as I have same problem at the moment. 'll try to delete any custom preset for a while. as advised above. Just in case.

UPD: I've removed any custom preset from device library and it works for me. No any restarts observed for two days at least. I'll put my custom presets from cloud one-by-one to get my sound back but avoid broken preset uploaded.

What's a useful thread!

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have had the same problem with an Amplifi 150: 4 blinking LED and no LED around the main button. No sound produced by any way(direct plug guitar, bluetooth, USB).

Strange, all the other fuctions are working. Bluetooth OK, USB OK (Amplifi seen by the PC), firmware upgrade working. I have opened my amplifier. 

All pover supply voltage OK. By the way, it is possible to convert from 220V to 115V by adding a jumper (I've moved from Europe to the US: no more transformer !!!)

I had to buy a main board and replace the old one.  Amplifi is running again! (cost: $125, not happy)

I have noticed a Micro SD memory card. When removed, nothing is working. I have removed this Micro SD from my NEW BOARD, made a COPY to the Micro SD 

on the OLD board and reinstalled back to the OLD board. Then upgraded software. Guess what: the original (OLD) main PC board is working again on the Amplifi.

The problem is only a software problem. Hint: I have made a copy of the new Micro SD for the future.

Yours,  André

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I am also having this issue - or something similar. When playing - at about 1/2 volume, the amp would seem to shutdown. Turning it off and on would bring it back.

I have a hunch its a preset, maybe I am over compressing too much when I go to a solo volume. Have to check my presets and see if that fixes. Its very intermittent and does seem like the amp may be overheating or protecting itself.

Anyone have a thought?

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have had the same problem with an Amplifi 150: 4 blinking LED and no LED around the main button. No sound produced by any way(direct plug guitar, bluetooth, USB).

Strange, all the other fuctions are working. Bluetooth OK, USB OK (Amplifi seen by the PC), firmware upgrade working. I have opened my amplifier. 

All pover supply voltage OK. By the way, it is possible to convert from 220V to 115V by adding a jumper (I've moved from Europe to the US: no more transformer !!!)

I had to buy a main board and replace the old one.  Amplifi is running again! (cost: $125, not happy)

I have noticed a Micro SD memory card. When removed, nothing is working. I have removed this Micro SD from my NEW BOARD, made a COPY to the Micro SD 

on the OLD board and reinstalled back to the OLD board. Then upgraded software. Guess what: the original (OLD) main PC board is working again on the Amplifi.

The problem is only a software problem. Hint: I have made a copy of the new Micro SD for the future.

Yours,  André

I must admit that I haven't replaced the main board yet, even though I have the new replacement. When I opened the back access panel, I saw that all of the plugs had been smothered with hot glue and I didn't go any further with the repair. How difficult was it to remove all of the glue from the plugs? I didn't want to damage any traces on the board by trying to pry off the glue. I did see the SD card and considered pulling it out to inspect, but if I recall correctly, it had a dab of glue on it as well. Someone really went crazy with the hot glue gun.

• 1 month later...

use a hobby knife and cut the glue at the join of the connector/socket.  You only need to be able to separate connector from socket, not remove all the glue.  do it slowly, carefully and while you are positioned comfortably and not awkwardly. be extremely careful not to bang the board against anything or slip with the knife etc.  

If you plan on reapplying glue, then I would use silicon.  I doubt it would be actual hot glue as I am sure the amp would get hot and melt it if it was.  I have made that mistake on electronics before!

good luck!

• 1 year later...
On 4/27/2017 at 2:16 AM, pberrin said:

Hi there,

Same problem here.

After checking everything (cables, iPad, Mac, reset coreaudio, temp, power source, reloaded the firmware etc …) I finally found out that it was a specific preset that was causing the reboot.

I deleted it immediately and now the amp do not reboots anymore.

Hope this helps.

What kind of preset?

• 11 months later...

Hello aleroux, I'm having the same issue with my Amplifi 75, bought it second hand to get me through the next few months with COVID-19.  It worked fine for the first couple of days, but then started cutting out, at first only occasionally, but now it has become not usable.  any chance you can post the SD card image on this thread in a zip file or similar?  Would love to try it before I toss the damn thing. 

Thanks,

Christian

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the issue of Amplifi 150 shutting down every while, especially at higher volumes.

I recently found out, that it is not shutting down after I plug it in a big power bank (luckily I had one to try). Seems that the power input is not working well and it has nothing to do with overheating.

I hope this helps someone.