Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I bet the Helix cannot replicate this tone

itsslash

I play in a police tribute band called The Heat, and I use the Helix with snapshots exclusively. I have a patch for every song and with a little research and tweaking have come very close to most of Andy's tones. I am at work right now but I will post a clip of message in the bottle later.

This is just a guess of course, but the only thing you're likely to get for your trouble is the declaration that your carefully crafted patch sounds nothing like the original recording...

• Upvote 1

, yeah probably so. Like I said some things are pretty dang close, some of them I made a little more dirty for playing live, and some of them I kind of created on my own. Listen to them do Invisible Sun in Tokyo. Played in a different key, and he uses a reverse delay instead of keyboard in the song. I thought that was kind of cool and made my own version of it and it works great. Using the send harmonizer on behind my camel,etc. The point I was originally trying to make was that the helix can mimic Motors things out there pretty closely. Message in a Bottle is a cool sound, I Run 1 clean with the chorus and one dirty or side blend and pan them and it sounds amazing through my live rig. A little dirtier than what he posted but if I cleaned it up a bit I have no doubt if you played them in a blind test it would be tough to tell a difference.

Didn't Andy Summers use an original green EH Electric Mistress on MIAB? Not the Deluxe but the original non deluxe?

I wish we had tha as a model in the Helix as it was a sweeter sounding flanger than the deluxe

I agree with post above that Andy Summers never really effectively replicated this live. It's 2 guitars harmonising and to me it sounds like it might be Tele neck pickup, it's a much dirtier sound in isolation than you first think when hearing the full track.

I like the Classic Rock mix of MIAB on the singles collection album.

This is just a guess of course, but the only thing you're likely to get for your trouble is the declaration that your carefully crafted patch sounds nothing like the original recording...

Yeah, because it probably sounds - nothing like the original recording. Though, im sure he spent the last two days tweaking, so when he gets around to posting it, should be interesting if nothing else.

You're only talking too. Let's hear your take first, then we'll see...

What? I'm the one who is saying that this tone cannot be replicated, not that I could easily do it like some of you numpties are.

My statement is being proven by the fact that no one has even posted a clip that they believe would be worthy.

• Upvote 1

What? I'm the one who is saying that this tone cannot be replicated, not that I could easily do it like some of you numpties are.

My statement is being proven by the fact that no one has even posted a clip that they believe would be worthy.

I've really no problem with you calling me a numpty, that's totally your view of things and it doesn't bother me that much, but do me a favour and go through the whole thread again and then tell me where I personally said that it is easy to replicate that tone.

I've really no problem with you calling me a numpty, that's totally your view of things and it doesn't bother me that much, but do me a favour and go through the whole thread again and then tell me where I personally said that it is easy to replicate that tone.

*facepalm*

My comment regarding numpties was obviously not referring to you but others in this thread. I responded to you because you incorrectly called me out to present a take, which I already said cannot be done.

• Upvote 1

*facepalm*

My comment regarding numpties was obviously not referring to you but others in this thread. I responded to you because you incorrectly called me out to present a take, which I already said cannot be done.

It's all fine, I can take it.

I have not set my rig up from last gig yet, I will post a few clips asap..

You've got to do what you think is right here, but give these threads a browse before you decide how much of your time you want to give to this guy. He may or may not be intentionally trolling, I don't know, but more than likely you are simply not going to get anywhere. Just a heads up.

http://line6.com/support/topic/25138-can-i-please-ask-for-a-favour-from-pod-hd500x-owners/?do=findComment&comment=192570

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/i-bet-you-cannot-match-this-tone.122475/

You've got to do what you think is right here, but give these threads a browse before you decide how much of your time you want to give to this guy. He may or may not be intentionally trolling, I don't know, but more than likely you are simply not going to get anywhere. Just a heads up.

http://line6.com/support/topic/25138-can-i-please-ask-for-a-favour-from-pod-hd500x-owners/?do=findComment&comment=192570

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/i-bet-you-cannot-match-this-tone.122475/

Maybe this Bozo should go and camp out in Andy Summer's garden until he gets a definitive answer to his questions regarding this divisive issue - or until he gets his butt kicked? Don't think it would take that long!

I get the feeling that this is turning into:-

"the Return of the Son of Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar"

Now that's another tone you won't match!

But who cares? Just make a tone you really like and rock on!

If you wan't to sound the same-ish (that's as close as you will ever get) make a close-ish tone and enjoy!

Oh! I almost forgot about this one - it's not "Massage in a Brothel" but it's another Andy Summers Police tone from Helix:

Do you want fries with that hat?

YOU Sir, are the MASTER of Trolls!  

( DataCommando == TrollPwner ) == true

(exclamation points remove to avoid logical errors!) ;-)

Now that's another tone you won't match!

But who cares? Just make a tone you really like and rock on!

If you wan't to sound the same-ish (that's as close as you will ever get) make a close-ish tone and enjoy!

Thanks Tal,

“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your sh!t, then you deserve it.â€

― Frank Zappa

DaveDaveDave,

Do you want to get some steak sauce to go with that "piece of cake" for the troll?

And not a single clip was seen the next day either. Okay, how about we make this more interesting?

Below is a clip someone posted using their Axe FX II on the official forums. It is the closest attempt I've seen, but it isn't really that close either. Can anyone do it better on a Helix?

0:00 - 0:06: The original recording as performed by Andy Summers

0:07 - End: The recording on the Axe FX II

And not a single clip was seen the next day either. Okay, how about we make this more interesting?

Below is a clip someone posted using their Axe FX II on the official forums. It is the closest attempt I've seen, but it isn't really that close either. Can anyone do it better on a Helix?

0:00 - 0:06: The original recording as performed by Andy Summers
0:07 - End: The recording on the Axe FX II

I'm not sure why you think anyone here has any incentive to take you up on this "bet"... No one here is getting a commission for convincing you to buy a Helix, and I'm not sure what matching this particular tone proves. Matching a tone on a recording has always seems like an odd target because the gear the player used is only one part of it. Who knows what was done in the studio after the fact to get it to where it ended up? Really, you just need to try one of these units for yourself. The fact is that someone could come up with a preset post a sample, have it sound great, and you might try that same preset, and it might not work for you. That happens all the time.

I'm curious to see how many pages this thread has to go before everybody realizes that this guy will do nothing but dump all over any clip that gets posted. That's what he's here to do. All anyone is doing is providing him a target at which to aim his sh*t cannon.

• Upvote 2

It's going to need a lot more than that. It sounds like a talkbox at the moment.

Yeah, that guy did a pretty good job though. The tone of his guitar was off for sure. I feel like it would be easier to cop the tone rather than the fx because studio fx are often automated, but i thought dude here did a pretty with that part. I feel like he could have gotten closer with a little more EQ.

Apologize for the other forum members. They are not capable of making their comment and moving on if they dont like the thread. Some great guys here, but without a doubt, also the internet's biggest collection of trolls.  Always the same dudes, circling like sharks in water, becoming energized, name calling, waiting for their chance to strike....They dont really care if someone else may have interest in the thread. 

I'm curious to see how many pages this thread has to go before everybody realizes that this guy will do nothing but dump all over any clip that gets posted. That's what he's here to do. All anyone is doing is providing him a target at which to aim his sh*t cannon.

+1

It took the Fractal guys 5 pages. I think we'll do better than that. However the PodHD guys did it in just 2 pages which I don't believe we'll manage to match. I don't think he's hit the Kemper forum yet but I'm sure it's coming. Wonder if we'll end up doing better than them?

Apologize for the other forum members. They are not capable of making their comment and moving on if they dont like the thread. Some great guys here, but without a doubt, also the internet's biggest collection of trolls. Always the same dudes, circling like sharks in water, becoming energized, name calling, waiting for their chance to strike....They dont really care if someone else may have interest in the thread.

This is pure gold

I get the feeling that this is turning into:-

"the Return of the Son of Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar"

This title refers to an awesome Zappa record containing tons of Zappa soloing out on guitar before he moved to primarily conducting his bands. I used to have the three record set that also included "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar". Used to love listening to 'Variation On The Carlos Santana Secret Chord'. Great reference!  :)

Thanks Tal,

“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your sh!t, then you deserve it.â€

― Frank Zappa

DaveDaveDave,

Do you want to get some steak sauce to go with that "piece of cake" for the troll?

You're welcome!

It's always nice to meet a fellow Zappa fan! There just ain't enough.

"Music is my religion. It's the only one that delivers the goods"

Frank Zappa

This title refers to an awesome Zappa record containing tons of Zappa soloing out on guitar before he moved to primarily conducting his bands. I used to have the three record set that also included "Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar". Used to love listening to 'Variation On The Carlos Santana Secret Chord'. Great reference!  :)

Actually he kept singing and playing almost all solo's till the end.

Except of course with the Yellow Shark Project which was orchestral and had no singing or guitar solo's

• Upvote 1

Actually he kept singing and playing almost all solo's till the end.

Except of course with the Yellow Shark Project which was orchestral and had no singing or guitar solo's

I saw him later in his career and he was playing guitar quite infrequently and mostly conducting and singing. Didn't Steve Vai pick up some of his solos for a while as well?  I know Vai transcribed quite a bit of Zappa's work. Zappa did compose/conduct as you mention with the Yellow Shark project as well as the project with the London Philharmonic but his was always a strong hand with conducting, composing, and arranging and you can even see him conducting to some extent with bands as early as the 'Mothers Of Invention'. I think it might be fair to say that composition and conducting may have become more interesting to Zappa than guitar playing in the latter part of his career. I always loved his guitar playing though and that sort of parked wah tone he got and his iconoclastic and freewheelin' guitar style.

• Upvote 1

Nothing better could happen to this thread than becoming a Zappa appreciation area....hopefully the guitarist(what he called himself in the Fractal thread i suffered thru in real time) has moved on to Hobbiton. FZ has been my muse since 1966 as a disaffected pre teen who needed something more than the AM hits o the Day. Got to meet and interview him in 1978 in Carbondale Il, and am proud to call Dweezil a friend.

• Upvote 2