Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I bet the Helix cannot replicate this tone

itsslash

What? I'm the one who is saying that this tone cannot be replicated, not that I could easily do it like some of you numpties are.

My statement is being proven by the fact that no one has even posted a clip that they believe would be worthy.

If it can be created, it can be replicated.  However, expecting a single modeler/multieffects unit to replicate a sound created in a recording studio utilizing multiple layered guitar tracks is completely unrealistic on every level.  Wanna nail that tone?  Buy a few Helices/Kempers/Axe-FXs, have yourself cloned about four times, and have at it.

Nothing better could happen to this thread than becoming a Zappa appreciation area....hopefully the guitarist(what he called himself in the Fractal thread i suffered thru in real time) has moved on to Hobbiton. FZ has been my muse since 1966 as a disaffected pre teen who needed something more than the AM hits o the Day. Got to meet and interview him in 1978 in Carbondale Il, and am proud to call Dweezil a friend.

Interviewing Zappa and a friendship with his talented son is a fascinating and lucky chapter to have in one's life. I still have my original copy of the 7" record that Moon Unit and Dweezil put out which may have been Dweezil's first single, 'Valley Girl' with 'Crunchy Water' on the B-side. Frank was a freakin' musical genius, a much overused term but wholly applicable in his case. Only someone with a deep appreciation and understanding of a multitude of genres could have parodied them so effectively; not to mention his satirical, cynical, irreverent, and always unique, entertaining, insightful, and most of all humorous facility with lyrics . I also got turned on to his music as a young teenager, 'Freak Out' first and then later 'Apostrophe' and 'Overnight Sensation', two of his most accessible works. Those prompted me to seek out the rest of his catalog. He was an authentic and original talent and we will not see his like again. My home is a "Zappa appreciation area" (unofficially designated). :)

• Upvote 2

And yet another day of all talk. So much for the people proclaiming they have a good 'police' sound.

Gee golly. You're so clever, I guess you win. The Helix absolutely cannot under any circumstances reproduce those sounds :blink:

The few posts I've checked out from this guy are asking other people to create sounds and then say it doesn't sound like it..  He just likes to mess with people from his mother's basement. Ignore him.

Yay!

Looks like my Frank Zappa reference managed to hi-jack this thread from the troll "itsslash", "the guitarist" or whatever his nom de guerre happens to be today.

Obviously my comment about the "Shut up and Play Yer Guitar" trilogy was a small pointer to the first track of side two, entitled "Treacherous Cretins" - which is what we appear to have here.

His latest comment, "And yet another day of all talk" seems to indicate that he is almost at breaking point because no one is bothering with his supposed thowing down of the gauntlet.

Won't be long before he moves on to the forums of the Kemper crew.

Wait till he finds out about "Headrush" - ye gods!

Don't eat the yellow snow!

• Upvote 1

Why should anyone help you out on your quest? Because you're so friendly and cooperative, and have contributed so much here? Around my house, when someone acts like a snot, we either ignore them or send them to their room.

Around my house, when someone acts like a snot, we either ignore them or send them to their room.

In order for this to work, everyone will actually have to start ignoring him. As long as there's an audience, he'll never go away.

The "ignore" feature is your friend...use it. You don't even have to see his posts if you don't want to...then everyone can discuss Frank Zappa, evolving shoelace technology, or wind energy until the cows come home.

• Upvote 1

In order for this to work, everyone will actually have to start ignoring him. As long as there's an audience, he'll never go away.

The "ignore" feature is your friend...use it. You don't even have to see his posts if you don't want to...then everyone can discuss Frank Zappa, evolving shoelace technology, or wind energy until the cows come home.

Ignore him!

It's done!

So, about this wind energy thing, is that caused by the cows coming home. Not sure about the how the shoelaces tech is going to have an effect on those who might wear tennis shoes or an occasional python boot, they may require zircon encrusted tweezers!

Ignore him!

It's done!

So, about this wind energy thing, is that caused by the cows coming home. Not sure about the how the shoelaces tech is going to have an effect on those who might wear tennis shoes or an occasional python boot, they may require zircon encrusted tweezers!

Well, cows do fart a lot. Perhaps if we line enough of them up and aim their business end at the turbines...renewable energy, and a nice steak. Everybody wins, well...except the cow. ;)

Well, cows do fart a lot. Perhaps if we line enough of them up and aim their business end at the turbines...renewable energy, and a nice steak. Everybody wins, well...except the cow. ;)

Perfect!

See what can be achieved with just a little thought.

Outstanding!

I use my Helix to precisely replicate Zappa's tone (and licks) on "Peaches En Regalia".

I'll post a clip as soon as this Police thing is cleared up.

<wink>

The Police could be a while, they're busy busting Willie The Pimp, but that maybe just the blimp Frank, it's the blimp! ;)

One of the greatest moments in Police history was when Mr. Sting sat in with Frank's final tour band in 88 at the Auditorium in Chicago, and sang Murder By Numbers and made fun of Jimmy Swaggart.

Excellent!

That reminds me of the first time I heard of Gordon being referred to as "Mr Sting" by these surreal guys:

Don't think this could ever be replicated, no matter what you were using.

Where might I find that feature?

Top right hand side of the screen where your user name is. Click the down arrow, then click Manage Ignore Prefs. You can select to ignore all his posts, but the thread still exists with all the replies. At least you can't see what he posts directly. 

Top right hand side of the screen where your user name is. Click the down arrow, then click Manage Ignore Prefs. You can select to ignore all his posts, but the thread still exists with all the replies. At least you can't see what he posts directly. 

And done. Thanks!

Ok, so: I've heard his name but have never listened to anything by the good Mr Zappa. I know, I know, decry the wasted musical palette of the modern millennial! May as well use this opportunity to get educated.

What's a good starting point to give him a listen? Or alternatively, if you were stranded on an island and could only have one piece of work that he is associated with, which would it be?

• Upvote 1

Ok, so: I've heard his name but have never listened to anything by the good Mr Zappa. I know, I know, decry the wasted musical palette of the modern millennial! May as well use this opportunity to get educated.

What's a good starting point to give him a listen? Or alternatively, if you were stranded on an island and could only have one piece of work that he is associated with, which would it be?

imho, Joe's Garage Vol. 1

• Upvote 2

Cheap Thrills was my point-of-entry. It's a hodge podge of all kinds of stuff, all of which is excellent. Then Absolutely Free.

• Upvote 2

Cheap Thrills was my point-of-entry. It's a hodge podge of all kinds of stuff, all of which is excellent. Then Absolutely Free.

A difficult thing to answer, as FZ released 60(!) albums, many of them multi-LP/CD sets, during his life, and another 20-some have been posthumously released, and key tô understanding the depth of his genius is Conceptual Continuity, where he consciously created and returned to musical themes and motifs in which he considered the whole of his work to be basically one life-long composition (the BIG NOTE theory, first espoused in his third album Lumpy Gravy). I consider his work important enough to warrant checking out chronologically from his first major album Freak OUT! , but I am a little extreme in my fandom, so I will try to narrow it down to the five that's will tell you if you need to be all in:-none of them are the most well-known (except for Hot Rats)

We're Only In It For The Money-a truly psychedelic skewering of Mid 60s counterculture and fascism by The Mothers of Invention

Hot Rats-oops , Frank just sorta invented jazz fusion....

Live at Fillmore East -the Mother's first live one, With Flo and Eddie on outrageous vocals, the definitive statement on groupie culture.

One Size Fits All- One of FZs tightest albums composition-wise, one of his most beloved by hard-cores.

Geez, already at five..? Alright,choose one with his last touring band (either Make a Jazz Noise Here, Broadway the Hard way, or The Best Band you Never Heard.

You're welcome.

• Upvote 2

Nothing better could happen to this thread than becoming a Zappa appreciation area....hopefully the guitarist(what he called himself in the Fractal thread i suffered thru in real time) has moved on to Hobbiton. FZ has been my muse since 1966 as a disaffected pre teen who needed something more than the AM hits o the Day. Got to meet and interview him in 1978 in Carbondale Il, and am proud to call Dweezil a friend.

Amen to that!

Wow, you actually met the guy, I'm jealous but happy for you!

Zappa has been my musical hero and example ever since I got introduced when i was around 16.

I was a Hendrix fan at the time. A schoolfriend said "You like guitar, well listen to this " and put on Yo mama.

I was completely blown away and that's when the journey started.

Now I started a Zappa tribute band and we're rehearsing like hell to get ready for our first gig.

We're really not that good but we have a lot of fun! Trying to play Zappa songs is a fantastic learning experience and when a song starts working it's just so great to do.

We're called Absolutely Frank. Take a look at absolutelyfrank.com  and tell me what you think. Don't hesitate to be critical either, I value your honest opinions. 

Yay!

Looks like my Frank Zappa reference managed to hi-jack this thread from the troll "itsslash", "the guitarist" or whatever his nom de guerre happens to be today.

Obviously my comment about the "Shut up and Play Yer Guitar" trilogy was a small pointer to the first track of side two, entitled "Treacherous Cretins" - which is what we appear to have here.

His latest comment, "And yet another day of all talk" seems to indicate that he is almost at breaking point because no one is bothering with his supposed thowing down of the gauntlet.

Won't be long before he moves on to the forums of the Kemper crew.

Wait till he finds out about "Headrush" - ye gods!

Don't eat the yellow snow!

Maybe he should!

• Upvote 1

Why would I be at breaking point when I'm being proven correct?

Also who is Frank Zappa and why do I care?

It's the guy who invited Sting to the stage to sing the best rendition of Murder by Number ever played with some of the best musicians ever.

• Upvote 1

Mostly all of it for me but for you it kind of depends on the music you like already. 

Amen to that!

Wow, you actually met the guy, I'm jealous but happy for you!

Zappa has been my musical hero and example ever since I got introduced when i was around 16.

I was a Hendrix fan at the time. A schoolfriend said "You like guitar, well listen to this " and put on Yo mama.

I was completely blown away and that's when the journey started.

Now I started a Zappa tribute band and we're rehearsing like hell to get ready for our first gig.

We're really not that good but we have a lot of fun! Trying to play Zappa songs is a fantastic learning experience and when a song starts working it's just so great to do.

We're called Absolutely Frank. Take a look at absolutelyfrank.com  and tell me what you think. Don't hesitate to be critical either, I value your honest opinions. 

Hey, thats great, ike is a sweetheart! you all sound pretty  darn good, your vocals emulate the originals nicely .  Congrats on the balls to embark on this project.  I hope to travel to Europe for for Zappanale maybe this year.  Another one of my enviable Zappa moments happened in September 2015 when I got to sing background vocals with Zappa plays Zappa for one song (Cozmik Debris)....

Wow A lot has happened in this thread since I've last visited. I was away creating the perfect tone on my helix just for this thread when The Police themselves came to my house and confiscated it as evidence. Bummer. Oh well

imho, Joe's Garage Vol. 1

A difficult thing to answer, as FZ released 60(!) albums, many of them multi-LP/CD sets, during his life, and another 20-some have been posthumously released, and key tô understanding the depth of his genius is Conceptual Continuity, where he consciously created and returned to musical themes and motifs in which he considered the whole of his work to be basically one life-long composition (the BIG NOTE theory, first espoused in his third album Lumpy Gravy). I consider his work important enough to warrant checking out chronologically from his first major album Freak OUT! , but I am a little extreme in my fandom, so I will try to narrow it down to the five that's will tell you if you need to be all in:-none of them are the most well-known (except for Hot Rats)

We're Only In It For The Money-a truly psychedelic skewering of Mid 60s counterculture and fascism by The Mothers of Invention

Hot Rats-oops , Frank just sorta invented jazz fusion....

Live at Fillmore East -the Mother's first live one, With Flo and Eddie on outrageous vocals, the definitive statement on groupie culture.

One Size Fits All- One of FZs tightest albums composition-wise, one of his most beloved by hard-cores.

Geez, already at five..? Alright,choose one with his last touring band (either Make a Jazz Noise Here, Broadway the Hard way, or The Best Band you Never Heard.

You're welcome.

All great suggestions! If you want to start with rock tunes that although unique have a more familiar FM friendly format I have to agree with PeterHamm that 'Joe's Garage' is definitely one to start with as a point of entry. I would add 'Apostrophe' and 'Overnight Sensation' to that list as well as I think they are great places to start to wet your ears with Frank Zappa. It depends to some extent on which part of his repertoire you prefer to start with, his music ranged from from funky Doo-whop to bawdy, deranged, filthy, and outrageously funny lyrics and high jinks during the Flo & Eddie years (formerly of the Turtles), rock tunes that were mildly radio friendly and many great rockers that never appeared on radio but should have, jazz fusion, classical, and everything in between. One of my favorite albums is also 'Zoot Allures' which is again I think one of his more accessible entry points. This is a deep mine with many dark corners to explore and diamonds to be found. If you really like more eclectic music start with bradlake's suggestions although they reflect a more refined and experienced Zappa fan's preferences but also provide a nice chronological journey; they may not be the ideal place to start for many primarily rock listeners but tastes vary.

A few of Frank Zappa's Youtube videos. There is too much there to begin to provide a comprehensive list but here are a few from the albums I listed as well as a complete version of 'Joe's Garage', some Flo & Eddie (The Turtles), and a general sampler of FZ's material.

(The Best Of Frank Zappa: compilation, nice! Not a bad place to start listening to Zappa)
(Zombie Woof)
(Excentrifugal Forz)
(Zoot Allures: live version)
(I'm The Slime)
(Black Napkins)

(Moving To Montana)
(Camarillo Brillo)
(Zoot Allures)
(Yellow Snow & St. Alphonso's Breakfast: Studio)
(Yellow Snow & St. Alphonso's Breakfast: Frank Zappa live)
(Yellow Snow & St. Alphonso's Breakfast: live version with Dweezil instead of Frank)
(Cosmik Debris)
 (Cosmik Debris: live version)
(Wind Up Working In A Gas Station)
(Disco Boy)
(Joe's Garage: entire album)
(Live at the Fillmore West with Flo & Eddie and interviews; adult supervision required)