Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noise Gate Question

SiCantwell

What settings do y'all use for Noise Gate? it seems like 50 and 50 seem to dampen my tone and attack when I'm in my living room. I'm not sure I even need it when I'm playing out because when the drummer starts up, nobody hears my amp hum. I understand what Threshold probably does, but what does Decay do? Do I even need it?

I have a POD HD500X for about 3-4 days now and I have been experimenting with noise gates. I have had some good results by putting the noise gate at the start of the chain (left) and putting the decay at 0% and then just messing with the threshold to the point where I hear no fuzz or hiss. even with high distortions my gate doesn't go over the 30% mark ;)

For my heavier tones I generally use 2 gates because I don't use a ton of effects. I have a noise gate near the start of the chain and a hard gate immediately after the amp.

For my lower gain/slightly dirty tones I generally don't use one except for when I have a dirt box in the chain too, and then the gate and dirt pedals are tied to come on together so my hot side stays hot and the cool side stays cool.