Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Rush Authentic Tone Series

helixcentral

Hello friends,

I'm embarking on a journey to faithfully replicate tones from several Rush songs from Fly By Night through Hold Your Fire using the trusty Helix. A few of these will utilize the Variax as well. My first offerings are available at http://www.helixcentral.info as well as my YouTube channel, http://www.youtube.com/johnconrad I'd love to take some suggestions on which tunes to do next!

Let me know what you guys think!

I'll check those out. You could put me out of my misery if you could nail Def Leppard's current live guitar tone - which you can hear on the recent Mirrorball live album.

I can only describe it as a very modern high gain tone that seems to have a really low growling type of distortion, but not fuzzy or top endy at all.

To me, it doesn't sound like any out of the box high gain amp tone. They are apparently using JMP-1's with a Fractal AX8 but obviously doing a big EQ on that.

I've been watching a lot of rig rundown videos of major artists recently and a lot of it sounds quite straightforward, Angus's Marshall heads were dialled really low on mids, treble and prescence, but of course they never tell you how they do the final EQ itself.

Glad you're doing this. A patch with all the different sounds for "Camera Eye" would be great. Alex's live Hentor tone from the Power Windows days was cool (see "Witch Hunt" on Show of Hands which was recorded on the PW tour). His most recent big growly tone with the Les Paul thru the Lerxst amps sounds amazing on a big 1st position D chord. Always wanted to play around with his wiry tone from the Hold Your Fire days. Not my favorite era but it was cool when he would blend it with his overdrive signal (2 amps). It would be great to have a patch that had all the sounds for Hemispheres too!

Glad you're doing this. A patch with all the different sounds for "Camera Eye" would be great. Alex's live Hentor tone from the Power Windows days was cool (see "Witch Hunt" on Show of Hands which was recorded on the PW tour). His most recent big growly tone with the Les Paul thru the Lerxst amps sounds amazing on a big 1st position D chord. Always wanted to play around with his wiry tone from the Hold Your Fire days. Not my favorite era but it was cool when he would blend it with his overdrive signal (2 amps). It would be great to have a patch that had all the sounds for Hemispheres too!

Just posted a patch for Time Stand Still, since you're interested in his Hold Your Fire era tone. You're right, it's super fun to mess with. That tune has a nice blend with the overdrive too. Camera Eye would be a lot of fun to tackle. I'm certain it will happen at some point. Thanks for weighing in!