Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

cloud tones and cloud software

nick11195

i have a spider v and so far its pretty good, EXCEPT for the fact that the cloud THING is pretty much useless to most people with smart phones that are android!!!!!!

for an amp that is this new AND that will connect to a PC, why the F__K have line 6 decided to leave any editing or downloading of tones, artist patches etc from a PC based platform?????? it connects to a pc right? so make the cloud available on pc for christ sake, it aint rocket science. i own a pod hd5oox, guess what? i can link it to a PC and download patches - great. so what moron decided to leave this option from the spider v? SACK HIM, I WOULD, HE'S GOING TO LOSE U CUSTOMERS!!!!!

seriously thinking of selling my V based purely on this oversight and buying a KATANA which will connect and edit using a pc

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Why do you say it's useless with Android phones? A lot of people here seem to have no problems with Android devices. All you need is a 2$ OTG cable for some of them. Some phones or tablets my not be as stable as expected but this is a problem with all connected devices. In a previous thread someone suggested a 10inch tablet that retails for around 99$

A PC editor would be nice. But most people under 30 have tablets or/and smartphones now a days so this design choice makes perfect sense. You get a large touch screen that is way more portable then a laptop.

Sign in to Ideascale site at Line 6. Search computer editor for Spider V. then Vote

This should never have been remote only because it is not a BT unit like the units the app came from.
Far too many users are describing nothing but connectivity problems with the Spider App. Many complaining they have to buy a Tablet. Many users taking the Spider V back and buying something else. It's too bad really that the lack of computer editors is such a major drawback.This has nothing to do with age demographics. IMO, along with so many others under 30.

The App as is has no way to archive your files other than proprietary cloud based. Nothing is user accessible, no means of backing up banks. Not a very good way to assemble preset banks. People that use modelers are used to those things in the editors.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

to the above person pierre,

there are numerous posts on here complaining of certain android devices NOT working with the spider app.

maybe some people cant afford to go buying tablets willy nilly because the app is crap on their already expensive smartphone!!

its line 6 all over, i mean an amp for example called the amplify WONT work at all with android devices, so maybe owners of that amp should all go out and buy iphones. its totally stupid and is cutting out a huge slice of the market. UTUBE is full of bad reviews of the spider v and some of the main reasons are their total lack of for-thought into making it compatible across all platforms, wheather its recording but not being able to use the app at the same time as using a DAW program? totally unforgivable.

it could have been pretty much a perfect amp but the lack of compatibility makes it ( for most people - see utube for evidence ) a total waste of money and a complete no go area - FACT

Amplifi was release with an iOS only client at first, this was clearly stated at the time the amp was released and the reason I did not get one. However the Android client was released only a few months after the amp. So why do you say it does not work with Android?

In my opinion, Line6 made a mistake not including the 2 dollar OTG cable adapter and not providing a list of tested devices with the SpiderV.

Of course you will also have many people here complaining about devices not connecting. Typically people come to forum like this one to seak help. You see similar threads for most connected devices. This is the nature of the Web.

Having the option to use the app and a DAW at the same time would be nice I agree, but you can tweak all parameters on the amp directly. Even with a PC client you could have issues having the amp connected to two apps at the same time.This is why having the amp control as a module in the DAW would be the best solution.

A workaround is to use Virtualbox on a PC some people on this forum seem to use this setup with succes.

• 2 weeks later...

Amplifi was release with an iOS only client at first, this was clearly stated at the time the amp was released and the reason I did not get one. However the Android client was released only a few months after the amp. So why do you say it does not work with Android?

In my opinion, Line6 made a mistake not including the 2 dollar OTG cable adapter and not providing a list of tested devices with the SpiderV.

Of course you will also have many people here complaining about devices not connecting. Typically people come to forum like this one to seak help. You see similar threads for most connected devices. This is the nature of the Web.

Having the option to use the app and a DAW at the same time would be nice I agree, but you can tweak all parameters on the amp directly. Even with a PC client you could have issues having the amp connected to two apps at the same time.This is why having the amp control as a module in the DAW would be the best solution.

A workaround is to use Virtualbox on a PC some people on this forum seem to use this setup with succes.

I think many people discovered they can use VB or other emulators, but there were other problems doing so like mouse cursor issues inside VB, or limits to other emulators like AmiDOUS or ANDY. When I used those emulators they work, but run into the exact same issues of the app itself on top of emulator related problems.

PC client would have been much smarter and reviews for the amp would be based on the amp and not so much the negatives on the app that in my experience is flakey at best, and not designed to do much with user preset storage (offline) or bank level creation in the app itself. 

So many users here and other forums, retailer reviews have said the app is a major drawback compared to other products from other mfg's. I have to agree with those reviewers. Since the release in late Sep, Oct, users have been very up front about the editor faults, lack of computer editors. Outside of that, customers now have many other mfg product options with the things they have requested here. 

I bought the Spider V for the modeling options, fx options, wireless integration. Those are the major pluses in the Spider V line. If it was based on the app, I'd have chose from other products that have app features I prefer. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

It works fine on my 5 Android devices. Galaxy S3, $40 chinese android tablet, $70 cheapo tablet, Asus memopad Tablet, LG G3.\

I just had to buy an OTG adaptor. 

I tried running a VM box android emulator on PC but had lockup problems with the mouse pointer.

Just go and vote for an editor. Line 6 development team members hang out on thegearpages forums and said that voting was the best way to get something done.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Spider-V-Computer-Interface/859001-23508

• Upvote 2

Just go and vote for an editor. Line 6 development team members hang out on thegearpages forums and said that voting was the best way to get something done.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Spider-V-Computer-Interface/859001-23508

Yep! Voting and posting on ideascale is the best way to get your voice heard on product features. Product managers frequent the pages, they are listening. 

Not sure about how product mgr's get their information. Friends of mine said there are well over 1000 requests for computer editors in the Amplifi section. Problem is, the voting is 200 in one post, 85 in another post, 122 in another post, many many other similar posts with as many votes. etc. I verified this earlier.

Ideascale site has no real organization or pinned topic requests. Search can come back with a dozen or more. There are hundreds of requests for Mac apps, W8 apps, W10 apps, W7 apps, etc. Those all combined result in very big numbers over 1000. To date it still says "in review" on each of them. Seems there was no action taken. How many votes do they need to prioritize actions?

It may help voters if Ideascale had some organization to it with pinned topics. Same has happened for the Spider V product user requests for computer editor. There are multiples of topics with the same requests.

Votes for computer app like the one posted are only one of many just like it on Ideascale. What appears as 27 votes is not accurate, there are many more in other posts with the same request. If the Spider V requests go the way of Amplifi computer GUI requests, that means don't count on it reaching anyone's to do list unless some third party can get it done.

Votes for computer app like the one posted are only one of many just like it on Ideascale. What appears as 27 votes is not accurate, there are many more in other posts with the same request. If the Spider V requests go the way of Amplifi computer GUI requests, that means don't count on it reaching anyone's to do list unless some third party can get it done.

Much the same way it occurs on the forum, users don't always take the time to search out existing posts and duplicates can happen. And some requests are very similar yet contain small differences, or sometimes you get multiple feature requests in one post. There are lots of requests for apps/software for similar platforms and even for some legacy products. So, no ideascale isn't perfect in this regard, but the time it would take to round up and tie together all the same posts, while they are also continually coming in is quite the endeavor.

I was unable to corroborate "well over 1000" for Amplifi computer editor after doing a thorough search of ideascale. The actual staff working on this stuff at Line 6 is probably a lot smaller than you may think, and as of late Helix has been getting priority because it was designed to be a platform that can be built off of or expanded upon. Aside from firmware updates for fix bugs etc, Amplifi isn't a platform that was meant to be expanded upon. A computer based editor would be awesome with Amplifi, and who knows, perhaps one day we will get one. 

Much the same way it occurs on the forum, users don't always take the time to search out existing posts and duplicates can happen. And some requests are very similar yet contain small differences, or sometimes you get multiple feature requests in one post. There are lots of requests for apps/software for similar platforms and even for some legacy products. So, no ideascale isn't perfect in this regard, but the time it would take to round up and tie together all the same posts, while they are also continually coming in is quite the endeavor.

I was unable to corroborate "well over 1000" for Amplifi computer editor after doing a thorough search of ideascale. The actual staff working on this stuff at Line 6 is probably a lot smaller than you may think, and as of late Helix has been getting priority because it was designed to be a platform that can be built off of or expanded upon. Aside from firmware updates for fix bugs etc, Amplifi isn't a platform that was meant to be expanded upon. A computer based editor would be awesome with Amplifi, and who knows, perhaps one day we will get one. 

There are 1,242 requests for PC and Mac editors in the AMPLIFI area of Ideascale, and more in the comments sections of posts. Highest computer app request topics have well over 200 votes, but there are more than 20 posts of this same request and dozens more in the comments. There are also high numbers of comments and votes requesting the API so users can build LIne6 a third party app. I can appreciate a limited staff may not look at these in full. It didn't take me 30 min to parse the comments and get numbers. My point being MAKE IT EASIER and PIN THE TOPIC.

Once again, the issue is the lack of pinned topics. That is why you have so many topics of the same requests. This is why your staff may be assuming there is limited desire for that specific request.

Users in the Spider V area have mentioned the same thing. Users don't always take the time to search. Exactly! because the search brings up more than one result. Now add a level of aggravation to the mix. Now the USER gets to the point of why should I even bother. Take a look at the ones that DID bother. My question was how many voted requests does it take? 200, 500, 1000, 10000? Out of all the post topics, computer editors were the highest requested and given no priority at all. What I see as a user are many unanswered requests.

Those specific users were not really asking for an expanded platform. They were requesting a more friendly user interface. 

That is for a product that is based around Mobile and Bluetooth. Spider V is not designed around anything mobile yet REQUIRES a mobile device and app for the editor. As seen in posts here and in Ideascale, the editor is plagued with connection problems. Just look here at your own forums how people feel about the app as is. Probably a good 50% report problems. Most of us are smart enough to know Line6 support cannot duplicate every network, tablet, cable, router, or OTG adapter being used. This is primarily why the design of Spider Remote with a non BlueTooth device begs for a computer editing GUI. There are Youtube Clips of the products, and in nearly every one, there is a comment of "There are no/this needs Pc and Mac editors."

With this said, my assumption would be that users will not be seeing any request for computer editors fulfilled anytime soon. 

Helix is the main priority. Thank You