Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Global EQ: YES! but Parametric: WHY???

ozanerkal

The main reason I upgraded my PODHD500's firmware was because it has a global EQ feature.

But after the upgrade, I discovered that it's a Parametric EQ.

I had to find guides on how to use a Parametric EQ (P. EQ) and now what I understand is that P. EQ is mostly used for recording. It's an advanced form of frequency tweaking, with many parameters related to different frequency ranges.

Inside a DAW, a typical P. EQ is in a window where you can see all the parameters at the same time and also a colourful graphical representation of what the consequences of your work will look like. I mean, a P. EQ is very comprehensive when you have a computer screen.

But WHY THE HELL would someone place a P. EQ on a device like the PODHD500 when it only has a 2" lo-res B&W display? how can I even start to tweak it when I can only see one freq. range at a time and nothing about the 4 other ranges? Even if I did see them would those numbers immediately mean anything to me? No, because there's no graphical representation... 

So far, the only use of the P. EQ for me was, I accidentally turned a few knobs and was afraid I changed something critical, came to the forums, found the default settings for the EQ, set them back to default and tuned the EQ off.. pufff..

I guess most of us are not experienced sound guys and the POD is not suitable for a P. EQ. but I'm sure we all can use a Graphic EQ. At least we all know how to reset all the faders on a G. EQ back to zero in case something goes wrong. Maybe a P. EQ is much better in the hands of an experienced sound guy but I think it's no use as we can't really use it.

So would Line6 consider changing it to a Graphic EQ?

It's parametric because that affords the most flexibility. One of the biggest reasons the global EQ was requested in the first place was to dial out some of the harsh high-end fizz that often accompanies using a modeler with an FRFR speaker(s). It's often a very narrow range of frequencies that needs to be attenuated. That being the case, a graphic EQ may or may not get you there, and you'll probably end up cutting out more than you need, or want to.

It's perfectly usable...but like everything else in life, the first time you look at one, you're not likely likely to be an expert. If you fiddle with it long enough, you'll figure it out. There's really no mystery to it.

• Upvote 1

The main reason I upgraded my PODHD500's firmware was because it has a global EQ feature.

But after the upgrade, I discovered that it's a Parametric EQ.

I had to find guides on how to use a Parametric EQ (P. EQ) and now what I understand is that P. EQ is mostly used for recording. It's an advanced form of frequency tweaking, with many parameters related to different frequency ranges.

Inside a DAW, a typical P. EQ is in a window where you can see all the parameters at the same time and also a colourful graphical representation of what the consequences of your work will look like. I mean, a P. EQ is very comprehensive when you have a computer screen.

But WHY THE HELL would someone place a P. EQ on a device like the PODHD500 when it only has a 2" lo-res B&W display? how can I even start to tweak it when I can only see one freq. range at a time and nothing about the 4 other ranges? Even if I did see them would those numbers immediately mean anything to me? No, because there's no graphical representation... 

So far, the only use of the P. EQ for me was, I accidentally turned a few knobs and was afraid I changed something critical, came to the forums, found the default settings for the EQ, set them back to default and tuned the EQ off.. pufff..

I guess most of us are not experienced sound guys and the POD is not suitable for a P. EQ. but I'm sure we all can use a Graphic EQ. At least we all know how to reset all the faders on a G. EQ back to zero in case something goes wrong. Maybe a P. EQ is much better in the hands of an experienced sound guy but I think it's no use as we can't really use it.

So would Line6 consider changing it to a Graphic EQ?

Have a look at my video which goes into a bit of detail about P Eq. Maybe it'll help.

• 2 months later...

We are really spoiled in recording software plugins. Amazing times.

If you gig alot and have a rig setup where the patches sound good in one venue and not the next the GEQ 

saves you having to tweak all your presets every time.

I wished it was included as one of the EQs in the patch selection.

But there are broad graphical models in there you might like.