Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Pod Hd500x Dead!

frayed1

ok so i did that and had to connect to my computer to re install the flash. Did that but the hardware wouldn't communicate with my computer. I uninstalled and re installed everything, still nothing. if i open the 500x hd edit i get an error message and none of the patches open      

you are probably experiencing flash corruption. 

try to power the unit with the left arrow clicked but this time try to do it with the USB disconnected. 
Also check if the USB drivers are correctly installed. you can download them at the support page

Did that. I tried everything. Reinstalled the flash, drivers, film wear, 500x edit and monkey. still wouldn't work. just for good measure I did a factory reset on my laptop and went through the whole process again..........nothing. So I brought it back and got a new one. So far this one works fine. Hopefully it will last longer then the ten days the last one worked. 

• Upvote 1

I corrupted the flash on mine just 12 hours after owning it :P 

I saved a setlist as a patch and sent it to the POD, she didn't enjoy it! but I got it back to work again. 

I believe there is another procedure that you can do to get it back to work but you solved your problem in some other way and that's what matters! :) 

• 3 months later...

Just a quick note to say that this thread helped me - I was about to work in Edit and when I booted up my computer I got a message that Edit couldn't load from the HD-500x, and I was to shut it off and restart it. Then I started getting the flashing Line 6 message on the POD. I knew there would be a reset procedure but didn't see it in the manual anywhere. A quick Google search found this thread and I'm back in business by holding the left direction key as I powered on and using Monkey to reflash. It asked if I wanted to save the presets, which I did, and in a few seconds all was well. Not sure what I did to merit this drama but glad it was an easy fix.

This forum is a really helpful thing!

Larry

Brand new HD-500x, new cable, surge protector, jacks are fine.

I find it a little odd that there is no on/off switch on the HD-500x. I was worried that plugging it in to power it on would be a bit of a shock to its system - but I think even before I started this session something had become corrupted in the memory of the unit. The Edit software was having trouble reading it, and when I did as the software suggested - plugged and unplugged the system, it went into the endless Line 6 start up screen.

Oh well - seems ok now, and I know how to reset the unit.

Thanks!

Larry

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sounds like a driver problem, i would change usb ports and maybe reboot as a starting point.

Hey I experienced the same problem but after the factory reset, it works just fine but it still doesn't detect it on the edit software.

Any way to fix this? 

I understand these issues also happen if you load a corrupted patch, or one that was written for a desktop bean or other device.  Make sure to only use patches written for the 500 or 500X, or whatever device you are using.  Basically, the patches are not universal, and different devices have different sets of settings, so stuff gets overwritten with bad values and the POD gets confused.  There's a converter in the sticky at the top of the POD forum that'll supposedly convert between all the different devices.  I believe the 500 and 500X are cross-compatible, but that's it.

• Upvote 1

I would add that the converter is a 3rd party unsupported by line6 utility as well.

super nice of someone to take the time... but for all we know it could just be renaming the file extensions.

probably doing alot more....

just saying... that might not be 100% bulletproof either.

I understand these issues also happen if you load a corrupted patch, or one that was written for a desktop bean or other device.  Make sure to only use patches written for the 500 or 500X, or whatever device you are using.  Basically, the patches are not universal, and different devices have different sets of settings, so stuff gets overwritten with bad values and the POD gets confused.  There's a converter in the sticky at the top of the POD forum that'll supposedly convert between all the different devices.  I believe the 500 and 500X are cross-compatible, but that's it.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
help me ... 

I do update flash memory my POD HD 500 X from version 1. 10  to version 1:20, when in the middle process, appear notification in line 6 monkey "POD HD 500 X updates failed, firmware update times out waiting for response from the device, try the update again, making sure the cable are still connected "then I tried over and over but can not always do the updates and notifications always appear the same, now I have a problem, in the LCD appears a message "Flash Update", I tried to turn off my hardware power but after reboot back to "Update Flash" .. I have tried to do a hardware reset by pressing the left arrow button navigation, but does not work ... please help me to solve this problem .... 

sorry, my english so bad

• 7 months later...

My line 6 keeps rebooting, while searching web found many users having same issue, i paid a lot of money for my line 6 at guitar center, i have not used it more than 20 times, i work on computers this sounds like a hardware issue, please tell me what i can do, i have had my Marshall amp 30 years never had a problem.

many people are having same issues with there line 6 need Help

Thanks Clayton Golden

My line 6 keeps rebooting, while searching web found many users having same issue, i paid a lot of money for my line 6 at guitar center, i have not used it more than 20 times, i have had my Marshall amp 30 years never had a problem.

yeah it happens now and then.  the vast majority have no issues.  can't compare the two technologies, different animals altogether.  Backup your tones to your hard drive and reflash with the latest firmware, then do a global reset and pedal calibration.  Do not keep your tones when asked.  You more than likely got a corrupt patch somehow.  Takes about 10 minutes.  Not likely to be a hardware problem but you can always open a support ticket...

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

For about the last year I've had the flashing screen thing after about 5-10 minutes of playing and it would say POD HD500 not connected. I tried everything except holding the direction button to the left while I powered up the unit.

Granted I spent most of this summer on the Harley but thank you guys and the Real Zap especially. Second comment was posted by you and I have my board back and it doesn't disconnect from the computer. Thank you!!

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, I purchased my POD a long time ago but never used it until yesterday. I'm using the 4 cable method and got it going yesterday, got sound played for 10 mins then decided to turn it off and watch YouTube to figure out how to scroll around find settings that I kind of like. Basically turned it on and now no sound at all. I did nothing but turn it off. Now I'm thinking this is not that good of a product. I really don't need the headaches. Just wanted something I could plug and play then set up custom stuff later. Also I never hooked up a computer yet ;(

Hi everyone, I purchased my POD a long time ago but never used it until yesterday. I'm using the 4 cable method and got it going yesterday, got sound played for 10 mins then decided to turn it off and watch YouTube to figure out how to scroll around find settings that I kind of like. Basically turned it on and now no sound at all. I did nothing but turn it off. Now I'm thinking this is not that good of a product. I really don't need the headaches. Just wanted something I could plug and play then set up custom stuff later. Also I never hooked up a computer yet ;(

I'm never surprised when electronics that sit unused for long periods cease to function...get the L6 Monkey software on your computer, update to the latest firmware, and see if that gets things up and running.

But you should understand going in that even if that gets it working, the POD is really not a plug-and-play unit. It takes most folks considerable time to get comfortable with it, but when you do it's worth it. There are great tones in there, but they're not gonna jump up and bite you on the a$$...

Thank you very much I will try that after work. Also what do you suggest for shutting off the unit ? Do you know why they didn't add an on/off switch ?

I suggest a power strip, unless you want to be pulling the wall wart out all the time, or worse disconnecting it from the unit itself. Over time its gonna loosen the solder joints on that jack and one day you may find it won't power on at all.

Why no power switch? I suspect because it would have cost another twelve cents per unit...

Thanks bro, ok this is where I'm at now. I can down load a custome tone, I drag and drop the tone into user two because user one is filled with stuff that the tech from line6 says should not be there. My problem is that the tones I down load and drop do not stay there and I have to keep pulling them from my computer and placing them. I understand getting a tone you like and maybe tweeting it but I do not want to use a laptop to be able to play my guitar. I would like to just turn on the Line6 and my amp and play. I'm spending way to much time trying to keep my tones in this thing. I'm not finding detailed instructions and now when I call Line6 they don't reconize I'm pushing 2 on my phone for customer service. I'm about ready to take a hammer to this thing because I'm pissed I payed money for these headaches. Normally I get headaches for free. Ty

I can down load a custome tone, I drag and drop the tone into user two because user one is filled with stuff that the tech from line6 says should not be there.

Not really sure what that means...you can load a preset into any slot, in any set list. They're all just folders in a big digital filling cabinet...doesn't matter what's already in there. You're overwriting the existing patch when you drag and drop a new one in. Put stuff wherever you want.

My problem is that the tones I down load and drop do not stay there and I have to keep pulling them from my computer and placing them.

After dragging the patch to whatever slot you want it in, you have to either double-tap "save" on the unit, or highlight the patch in HD Edit and click "send selected", otherwise it will not be stored permanently.

I understand getting a tone you like and maybe tweeting it but I do not want to use a laptop to be able to play my guitar. I would like to just turn on the Line6 and my amp and play.

Then modeling may not be for you...and that's OK. It's not an amp, and doesn't behave like one...some guys take to it, some don't. Yes, you can create and edit patches on the POD itself, but it's a tiny little screen, and combing through all the menu options with knobs and arrow keys gets old real quick. Everything is infinitely easier and quicker with a computer and HD Edit. It's almost a necessity...

You're also gonna find yourself at a significant disadvantage if you rely on Customtone for your sounds. Frankly, it sucks...99% of what's on there is garbage. Eventually you'll have to get used to creating your own tones if you want to be anything close to happy with the POD.

I'm not finding detailed instructions...

Most stuff is in the manual. Not everything of course, most manuals leave something to be desired, but this one covers the bases fairly well...it's a free download.
  • Upvote 1

My problem is that the tones I down load and drop do not stay there and I have to keep pulling them from my computer and placing them. 

that's what the owner's manual is for. 

There's like 5 of them. Make sure you got them all.

• 2 weeks later...

My line 6 HD500 keeps rebooting and when I try holding left and starting, nothing... still just flashing through line 6, black screen refresh line 6. I try unplugging and holding down then plugging in.. it sometimes will and sometimes won't get to the update flash. When I plug in the usb, try to connect to Monkey and it starts flashing again... Each time I try to update the flash when it does connect it'll start the flashing and turning on/off again and breaks the connection so flash is never updated.  I've been at it for 2 hours now and it doesn't seem like anything is working. Is there a way to flat out just reset it from the device or ANY other suggestions besides going "Office Space" on it?

Thanks in advance!

Nick