Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix case/bag

jbuhajla

If anyone is looking for a good, reasonably priced case for their helix floor here is what I found. 1/2 the price of the Line 6 backpack. I also re-purposed some packaging foam to fill in the gaps and cut out some spots for my G10. Now I just grab this case, a guitar or two, and away I go. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SKB-SC2316

post-2402848-0-40958400-1485799410_thumb.jpg

For those using the Line 6 HELIX Backpack, I found it to be a very snug fit for the first week, or so, until the protective closed cell foam padding surrounding the main compartment adjusted to accomodate the HELIX.

Grasping the HELIX with fingers wrapped around the Treadle's textured and radiused long side, and vertically inserting (or removing) the HELIX oriented with the Treadle at the top and facing outward (away from the pack) worked best for me.

The other compartments work great to hold a bunch of additional gear (headphones, IEMs, G10, cables, etc.), and when fully loaded the pack is very stable standing vertically.

I have yet to extract the shoulder straps or put to use any of the fingertip sized rigging loops (6 per side) on the exterior of the pack. The reinforced handle grips, rubber bottom feet, zipper pull loops, and self sealing water resistant exterior zippers are also nice features. The several included velcro straps were also a nice touch to secure gear inside the pack.

Interested to hear other users' comments.

So I am looking into something a bit more rugged than a bag, and this is what I have come up with... http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MULTICOMP-22-24155-/22-24155

I haven't actually bought one yet, but it seems like it would be a good solution that would allow you to include some cables along with the helix.

Thank you guys for these options. I got a Helix bag when they offered it for free with the purchase of a Helix. But I don't think it will last forever.

Lucky! I got one a week after I got my Helix, long before that offer happened. Nothing lasts forever, but I think this thing will last for a good while. And when it dies I'll probably get another one.

So I am looking into something a bit more rugged than a bag, and this is what I have come up with... http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MULTICOMP-22-24155-/22-24155

I haven't actually bought one yet, but it seems like it would be a good solution that would allow you to include some cables along with the helix.

Great Find! And, a great price. If you do get one, post back regarding its durability.

Lucky! I got one a week after I got my Helix, long before that offer happened. Nothing lasts forever, but I think this thing will last for a good while. And when it dies I'll probably get another one.

I hope you're right. I'm just not as enthusiastic about the durability. Not that I don't like the quality.

I can confirm the Helix fits nicely in this backpack keyboard bag - I'm sure it's not the quality of the Line 6 bag, but at less than half the price, it works very well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006KEILD8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

7195SZW1QLL._SL1200_.jpg

Do you have any photos you can post up showing details of this bag and how the helix fits in it??

Do you have any photos you can post up showing details of this bag and how the helix fits in it??

Just got home from work and took these - here ya go. I'm sure it's not as rugged as the Line 6 bag, but it's sufficient for my use. Helix, powerstrip, and cables in the backpack, powered PA speaker in one hand, guitar in the other. Pretty portable and handy.

i-cK5RHgk-X4.jpg

i-czb2sHv-X2.jpg

i-NZKdCTp-X4.jpg

i-8NqQ85s-X4.jpg

i-sTDqMwg-X4.jpg

It has maybe a half an inch of pretty soft padding, not the most protection one might want if the worst happened. I wouldn't want to drop it on concrete or anything. I'd say moderate protection. But the Helix itself is pretty tough - I doubt dropping it on concrete even without the bag would hurt it much, not that I'd want to do that. There's a Line 6 video of that somewhere - drop test in the parking lot, I think, and even kicking the knobs with boots on and all kinds of cringe-worthy endurance testing. Yes, I gasped when I saw it - it's hard to watch. :)

If you're looking for something that is really hardened and protective especially if other people are handling your gear, I'd probably avoid this bag. It's pretty nice for what it is, but it's not industrial quality.

Did you end up getting this? If so, how did it work out? If not, what did you do instead?

I also got the Novation Black 25 backpack - sorry Line 6: I needed something but the budget wouldn't stretch to the official backpack and you didn't offer the free backpack with Helix here in the UK (I did buy mine in December).

It was £34 from Amazon and therefore is less than 1/3 the price of the Line 6 one, so my expectations were not very high, but it fits in fairly cosily (I am sure it will stretch), has enough protection for the minimum abuse I am going to let it get, the 15" Laptop sized pocket can hold all the cables and my two EV-5 expression pedals and there are even a couple of side pockets that can hold a tin of beer each.

What more do I need?

One thing to add though.

I put my Helix in with expression pedal at the top not the way BSD512 has it - this lets me lower in and pull out just using one hand with fingers around the Expression pedal while the other hand holds the backpack down.

One thing to add though.

I put my Helix in with expression pedal at the top not the way BSD512 has it - this lets me lower in and pull out just using one hand with fingers around the Expression pedal while the other hand holds the backpack down.

This method works well with the Line 6 backpack as well!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread with helix bag/backpack/cases. I'm bummed. I ordered my helix during the promo offering the helix backpack free with purchase at guitarcenter. It's been on backorder since then, and this week after missing another estimated ship date support tells me "These are currently on a backorder............. We don't have these at all....... they have been discontinued" what a bummer! He also said they didn't have any alternative cases for the helix to offer me. Anybody know if this promo was run by line6 directly, or by guitarcenter?

Thanks for this thread with helix bag/backpack/cases. I'm bummed. I ordered my helix during the promo offering the helix backpack free with purchase at guitarcenter. It's been on backorder since then, and this week after missing another estimated ship date support tells me "These are currently on a backorder............. We don't have these at all....... they have been discontinued" what a bummer! He also said they didn't have any alternative cases for the helix to offer me. Anybody know if this promo was run by line6 directly, or by guitarcenter?

The backpacks haven't been discontinued... Pretty sure this was a Line 6 promo, not a GC one.

The GC website even says they're in stock: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6/Helix-Backpack.gc

The backpacks haven't been discontinued... Pretty sure this was a Line 6 promo, not a GC one.

The GC website even says they're in stock: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6/Helix-Backpack.gc

Thanks for the response. I hope you're right and he was just uninformed when i asked him why their website said they were available but mine wasn't shipping...  http://imgur.com/a/chYiq

I may order one for store pickup to see if it arrives or not, then get the store to make it right as my backordered free order...

• Upvote 1

I have a Gator bag intended to fit a Boss GT-100, and the Helix fits in. I doubt its anywhere near as protective as the bags and cases posted in this thread, but it helps protect it against spills from inconsiderate brats on the bus. If it had to sit on the bus floor, I'd definitely use a hard shell case. Parents with prams are the worst. 

Thanks for the response. I hope you're right and he was just uninformed when i asked him why their website said they were available but mine wasn't shipping...  http://imgur.com/a/chYiq

I may order one for store pickup to see if it arrives or not, then get the store to make it right as my backordered free order...

Let me know how that works out.  I got bent by GC on the first case promo when I got my Helix back in December.  :(

• Upvote 1

Let me know how that works out.  I got bent by GC on the first case promo when I got my Helix back in December.  :(

thanks- yeah, mine is a Dec 7, 2016 helix order too...  so far my new backpack order is still in "processing" status on guitarcenter's website. 

Maybe if you contact Line 6 about it, they can take care of you for the free bag. 

I think i will try that too, thanks.  It looks like their online store is also out-of-stock on the backpack too.  Hopefully they're just having supplier issues and it will all get worked out when they're in stock again...

in the meantime i just need a better way to travel with this thing!  that pelican style hard case with foam looks interesting, although i like the convenience of a backpack.

GC was innundated with Helix purchases before the end of the year and they quickly ran out of the free Helix Backpacks early in December. I was told more would not likely be back in stock until mid-January. As it turned out I got mine in late December!

The Line 6 promotion was to be fulfilled by the vendors, so Line 6 may defer you back to GC. Get in touch with a Supervisor or Team Leader as they often are referred to at GC's Call Centers to demand that they cover you!!

The Line 6 Helix Backpack is very good! It holds the Helix very well, and the two additional storage pouches provide lots of extra capacity.

I'm still not sure what the exterior loops on either side of the top pouch are for. Perhaps someone from Line6 knows? DI, Frank, Victor, Tony, Andrew, Will, Tony, anyone...?