Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix case/bag

jbuhajla

thanks- yeah, mine is a Dec 7, 2016 helix order too...  so far my new backpack order is still in "processing" status on guitarcenter's website. 

Hell, mine was a local purchase (oddly there's a GC here in Virginia Beach) and I've got a runaround over it and have all but given up and explored other options, which irritated me because that's one of the reasons why I pulled trigger on a Helix at that time to begin with.

The Line 6 promotion was to be fulfilled by the vendors, so Line 6 may defer you back to GC. Get in touch with a Supervisor or Team Leader as they often are referred to at GC's Call Centers to demand that they cover you!!

I'll give that a shot, for some reason I hadn't thought of going beyond the level of my local store.  I figured since it was a "participating dealer" offer that L6 wouldn't have much to do with supporting it directly. 

Nearly all of GC's inventory ships from or comes from their main Kansas City National Distribution Center. If you phone GC Customer Support (not the floor sales clerk at your local store) you should be able to get the transaction elevated to being properly recognized by the Supervisor/Team Leader and have them ship a Backpack directly to you (in lieu of your local store to pickup). If they're still out of stock, at least when they do get a shipment at the KC DC, there will be a large number of them, rather than your local store having to take what they get.

• Upvote 1

I recently picked up an old Pedal Train 1 with its case and the Helix fits perfectly on the board and quite snuggly in the case.  It's as if it was made to fit.  Only problem is that there's no room on the board if you use additional expression pedals or other stomps.  

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Imagine my surprise this morning when I woke up to see two shipping notice emails from guitarcenter!  One for the free backpack GC support manually added to my orders in January, and one for the full price backpack i ordered ship-to-store yesterday!   I'm glad they're getting shipped despite the hassle and information gap! 

• Upvote 1

Given the cost of the Helix, I went for a SwanFlight hard case for it. Not cheap, but quite substantial and a perfect fit, and confidence that the Helix will be well protected.

Nice case, but shipping to the US is $75, ouch.

Just wanted to show you guys what I purchased for my Helix last week. If you need something heavy duty then this is for you. It is big and heavy. With my Helix and volume pedal in it , it weighs about 35lbs. Not a bad price for what you get. The only cons so far are 1. You need to add some more foam to the lid to keep the Helix firmly in place while closed and 2. get some better Velcro than the stuff they send with it.  

https://www.amazon.com/PDC-4100G-Flight-Pedal-Case-Heavy/dp/B00QCHOL2S/ref=lp_2587438011_1_3?srs=2587438011&ie=UTF8&qid=1489512164&sr=8-3

Nearly all of GC's inventory ships from or comes from their main Kansas City National Distribution Center. If you phone GC Customer Support (not the floor sales clerk at your local store) you should be able to get the transaction elevated to being properly recognized by the Supervisor/Team Leader and have them ship a Backpack directly to you (in lieu of your local store to pickup). If they're still out of stock, at least when they do get a shipment at the KC DC, there will be a large number of them, rather than your local store having to take what they get.

I finally got a moment to call customer support, and after explaining my situation I was very curtly told I needed to take my issue up with the local store.  I'm going to try that one more time I suppose.  It seems like no one wants to actually deal with the problem. 

I finally got a moment to call customer support, and after explaining my situation I was very curtly told I needed to take my issue up with the local store.  I'm going to try that one more time I suppose.  It seems like no one wants to actually deal with the problem. 

bummer. that's so frustrating!  hope it works out for you!

Both the Free Helix BackPack Promotions (December 2016 and March 2017) are handled via the participating vendor. See the Helix Free BackPack Promotion details on the Helix Products > Promotions portion of Line 6's websites. I do believe I saw that the promotion was subject to product availability.

If anyone is looking for a good, reasonably priced case for their helix floor here is what I found. 1/2 the price of the Line 6 backpack. I also re-purposed some packaging foam to fill in the gaps and cut out some spots for my G10. Now I just grab this case, a guitar or two, and away I go. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SKB-SC2316

Very nice protection, plus if you add some chains and handcuffs, you could have that Blues Brothers thing goin', walkin' into the club!  :)

Very nice protection, plus if you add some chains and handcuffs, you could have that Blues Brothers thing goin', walkin' into the club!  :)

Oh yes, then I can just kick in my Steve Cropper presets and let 'er rip. I need some Ray Bans I guess...

• 3 weeks later...

So I am looking into something a bit more rugged than a bag, and this is what I have come up with... http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/MULTICOMP-22-24155-/22-24155

I haven't actually bought one yet, but it seems like it would be a good solution that would allow you to include some cables along with the helix.

If anyone has the HELIX bag, please post a pic of it with the HELIX inside. I want to know how thick the padding is. If its not at least 1.5 inches thick, I may just go for a case like the rugged waterproof one linked, assuming they're still in production and available in the UK.

I once walked into GC, cash in hand, to drop on a Clapton strat I had played a few weeks before hand.  It was difficult to find help, and when I did, the kid acted like I was some kind of annoyance. One of the many reasons I do not do business with them.  

Sweetwater has been nothing short of awesome.  And when I need something quicker, I simply go downtown to a mom n pop shop.  

• 1 month later...

In the end, I went back to PMT who sold me the Helix and ordered a Gator 12x24. It has a trolley handle and casters/wheels, though I did have to remove those velcro pads to get the Helix to fit and sit flat. I had to do the same when I ordered a Gator case for my Roland VS2480.

One thing to add though.

I put my Helix in with expression pedal at the top not the way BSD512 has it - this lets me lower in and pull out just using one hand with fingers around the Expression pedal while the other hand holds the backpack down.

This is exactly how I put my Helix into the backpack too. The Novation provides a good balance between protection and portability in my experience.

As is most often the case (no pun intended), by the time I'm inserting or removing the Helix from the case, the various cables are already loaded into the lower larger outer section of the pack. Thus, the pack very easily stands vertically on the four ridged rubber based feet, making it easier to insert the Helix by descending it vertically. Inserting the Helix horizontally (with the weight of cables and gear in the outer pockets), is more cumbersome. 

The position of the Helix in the Backpack is like this:

helix-bag-sku-thumb.png

For me.. cramming a 1k + piece of gear into a backpack just seemed like a bad idea. 
Especially if you ever want to load up for a show.. with other gear in the trailer or van.. no thanks.
That is a PLANO AR15 case. The seal is missing but not for long.. will be 100% watertight and safe from accidental crushes , falls, or random acts of nature

For me.. cramming a 100k + piece of gear into a backpack just seemed like a bad idea.

Especially if you ever want to load up for a show.. with other gear in the trailer or van.. no thanks.

That is a PLANO AR15 case. The seal is missing but not for long.. will be 100% watertight and safe from accidental crushes , falls, or random acts of nature

Nice! What model is that, and how much does it weigh (the case by itself)? Quick googling found one that are a lot bigger inside than a Helix, like 37" long.

Nice! What model is that, and how much does it weigh (the case by itself)? Quick googling found one that are a lot bigger inside than a Helix, like 37" long.

inside dimensions are 12" on the bottom and tapers up to nearly 13"  X 36" bottom to 36 3/4" .

It leaves just enough room for when I get the foam filler I plan to trace and cut out spots for my cables and additional pedals but the foam is salty. 

I'm not sure on the retail fr the case this was a garage sale special so probably around $5.00 

PLANO GUN GUARD is as close to a model as I can find.

I found this one on Amazon for 68. It's a little bigger... but that may not be a bad thing.. mine is kind if snug in there.. I'd rather have a little more padding. 

Like they cut out for the gun... that's what I am talking about..

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Weather-Tactical-Case-42-Inch/dp/B00E2217I6/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_200_tr_img_3/147-9054490-5880610?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0SPR1P4BD169RXEGD95A

Cool, thanks, cheap!

Ran into this site that has pretty good prices on Plano cases. IMO, not having actually seen any of these, for the relatively small dollar difference, even though it's almost double, the Planos are going to be a lot better quality than that Flambeau.

OT: Anyone considered the larger Plano case for a solid body guitar? I'm not 100% positive mine would fit, need to measure again, but it looks to be way better quality for less money than most actual guitar cases.

That's the first Helix case I've seen that you might throw in the back of the truck with the rest of the gear.

Anyone know where to find it at a good price? Quotes I've seen are all over the place, but expensive. Probably heavy too​, didn't see a spec.

Seems that if you want legendary Pelican case durability, the going rate for a 1555 Air is a bit under $200, and a bit lower if you do not need or want the pick and pluck foam interior. Check for the best prices by Googling the various vendors.