Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Delete Patch?

Andy1175

When I right click on a patch I get the usual menu:

Copy

Paste

Import

Export

Rename

Hmm, seems to be something missing. 

How on earth do I remove an unwanted patch from the list?  I've checked the manual and amazingly there is no reference to deleting patches.  Blocks, yes, patches no.  Someone please tell me I'm missing the blindingly obvious, I must be, surely.

-

• Upvote 1

Just go to a new patch and save over the patch you're trying to clear without changing anything

Thanks for your reply, but I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.  Do you mean copy a new blank patch and then paste it over the one I want to remove?  That'll work, but honestly no delete/remove option?  What are you supposed to do when all slots are full??  Is it asking so much to have a delete option in there, so it's simple to start afresh? 

-

• Upvote 1

Well, as I think about it, that's pretty much what happens when you "delete" something on a computer.  Yes, you just press "DELETE" option and the file is "tagged" deleted and dissapears (it's still there - you can just write over it"). Since the "patch" files are sequential, you can't just have a "hole" in any slot.  It has to have something for the Helix to "read".  These files require a certain "format" and if it hits a "hole", bad things happen.

I'll grant you, L6 could program a "Delete" option and automatically fill the hole; but how many of us would unintentionally delete the wrong file?  I know I have! 

Personally, I like the idea of not "deleting/erasing" a Preset - but rather going the one step extra to "copy/paste" over the unwanted patch with a "fresh" NEW Preset.

With 1027 Presets you should not run out of one last slot - but that's what the "Export" function is for.  Just keep a "New Patch on your Apple/PC when you want to add that to open up a new slot.  Don't forget, you can Export an entire Setlist and load a totally different one at any time.  So really, you are only limited to the number of Presets your Apple/PC will hold.

I have different setlists for different types of music and even different guitars and just load whichever I need for that day.

What everyone else says. The point is every patch must exist even if it is blank. Remember, blank is not blank. It is a batch of ins and outs waiting for you to do something in between! That's how the Helix works. There can be no "delete". The most you can do is remove the stuff between in and out. The easiest way to do that is to copy an "empty" patch. That has analog to digital converters and a description of all the stuff that makes a patch in it. That's as deleted as you can have on Helix.

.... The point is every patch must exist even if it is blank. Remember, blank is not blank. It is a batch of ins and outs waiting for you to do something in between! That's how the Helix works. There can be no "delete". ....

Exactly. And more specifically in purely physical terms a patch is nothing but a string of 1s and 0s in the Helix memory. The physical patch always exists as a set of transistors or whatever the heck computer memory actually consists of. And it's size and structure has to conform to the specification of a patch - the ins and outs you speak of.

I guess there is a way to physically delete/remove the patch but it would involve electronic surgery in Helix memory.

All of this is true, particularly:

"I'll grant you, L6 could program a "Delete" option and automatically fill the hole; but how many of us would unintentionally delete the wrong file?  I know I have!"

Which also shines light on another glaring omission, an undo option.  These are basic prerequisites in ANY editing operation, be it music, text, pictures, video, whatever.  I'm not in the least bothered about the technical and/or semantical variations, a delete/remove/clear/reste/whatever option is a basic simple necessity and frankly, I'm surprised at having to justify such a thing.

-

The concern was running out of locations? I am pretty much an effects/patch junkie, and can't imagine EVER filling all of the empty slots! That is one thing that I loved about the Helix right from the git.

With the Helix, I am using User 1 as my patch development location, and User 2 is my functional location. Then once I actually use the patch live in User 2, I copy it back to User 1 overwriting the old file for future use. Have owned Helix since Sept, and am no where near running out of slots in User 1 or 2.

Amplifi and Firehawk had limited slots, but had a backup location. I was forever saving patches, but was able to load them up depending on my current setlist.

Did I get off track? Sorry all! I am good with no "Delete", would however maybe like "Undo". 

There is a clear all blocks option, sort of like a delete, not sure how it handles snapshots.  I wish also for a snapshot delete, not just a copy, but a real delete like it was never there.\

I would hate to see an easy way to delete without an undo, that could be scary too.

Semantics!!!! This is 2017 Boys! Any Editing program and device should (by this day and age) have user practical features.

It is not unrealistic to expect that the Helix (Device and Editor) have modern, well implemented Delete, Undo/Redo and other modern Editing features! Look at the fiasco that has resulted (and impacted many HELIX users) over the last year from Line 6's HELIX Updater procedure essentially using an archaic method.

Proper Engineering and Programming can easily handle the behind the scenes technicalities of what the hardware and memory constructs require, without the users having to be forced to deal with stone age 1980 programming concepts!

I'd be shocked if the forthcoming revamped Helix Editor and does not have an overhauled file manangement and many other practical user interface improvements. Hopefully the Updater will also be overhauled, if not integrated into HELIX Editor, and the eventual stand alone version of Helix NATIVE will also have state of the art file management and feature handing. Time will tell.

The vast majority of HELIX owners are more likely to be guitar players and audio engineers, not computer programmers.

• Upvote 1