Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to variax. Plan to get Shuriken. What software to download?

nippyjun

Interesting. Is the latest version really the one from 2012?

Variax...in any of it's aesthetic variations...has not been a top priority for some time. Models have been unchanged, and no firmware updates of any consequence for several years now.

For every Variax out there, there are a thousand PODs, Helix, etc. You do the math...

True. But 5 years....

Hopefully the Shuriken will spark and update or the need for an update.

Who knows? But if you ask me, the longer scale length and somewhat unorthodox body style is gonna make this one an even tougher sell than the others they've already put out there. Time will tell.

Check these out,...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=line6+shuriken 

Had the pleasure of checking out, adjusting and playing both Stevic's Australian prototype Shuriken

and adjust and pre-NAMM prep his Line 6 Shuriken,... awesome guitar!

His NAMM demo at the booth was informative, and his use of Workbench HD was enlightening.

I also saw somewhere here on the Forum, a Pilot's Handbook that gets into some of Stevic's

Artist Model patches.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Who knows? But if you ask me, the longer scale length and somewhat unorthodox body style is gonna make this one an even tougher sell than the others they've already put out there. Time will tell.

Different market. May spur people to use more of the variax goodness. More modern players rather than us old farts that need a guitar that looks like les paul or strat.

Different market. May spur people to use more of the variax goodness. More modern players rather than us old farts that need a guitar that looks like les paul or strat.

Perhaps...but I think that demographic is more interested in the crazy drop tunings that only whales can hear, rather than models of a Strat or a Tele...never mind a dobro or banjo. If they really want to cater to the "djent", high-gain + palm muting crowd, then the alt tunings have to get better. There are still issues there...

It's a different animal. You have to cuttle it under the chin a little differently.

If I can learn to do that, anyone can.

Honored to be one of the few who have played both the Australian prototype

and the one Stevic is playing in the video. Both nice guitars.

• Upvote 1

Now the amazing Line6 team has just kicked out the massive 2.20fw/Workbench/Editor beast of an update. They should take a break from it and turn a bit of attention to a JTV/Shuriken firmware! .......Please. :rolleyes:

I think the whole six threads in the Shuriken forum will tell you how popular they are... not my cup of tea I'm afraid....

I tend to agree...though they haven't been around all that long, so who knows? But it is a "niche within a niche" product. I doubt it'll be a massive seller.

I've never really understood the "signature model" anyway. I mean, I fully understand why they exist...in most cases they're just slightly tweaked versions of guitars the company is already making, peddled at 3-4x the cost of nearly identical models. From a marketing perspective it's a no-brainer. What I don't get is the desire to have one...doesn't matter who's. Because no matter how much I might like a given artist, I'm not that guy. Buying their guitar won't make me better, or sound like them, so why part with all the extra money when you can often get essentially the same thing for far less?

Totally agree Mr C. I guess that there are sooo many guitars available so that something appeals to somebody! You used to be either 'strat' or 'Les Paul' but now guitars are often aimed at genres. I know I said I would probably never buy a Suriken but I'd prolly never buy an 89 either (they are both 'too pointy')....

I tend to agree...though they haven't been around all that long, so who knows? But it is a "niche within a niche" product. I doubt it'll be a massive seller.

I've never really understood the "signature model" anyway. I mean, I fully understand why they exist...in most cases they're just slightly tweaked versions of guitars the company is already making, peddled at 3-4x the cost of nearly identical models. From a marketing perspective it's a no-brainer. What I don't get is the desire to have one...doesn't matter who's. Because no matter how much I might like a given artist, I'm not that guy. Buying their guitar won't make me better, or sound like them, so why part with all the extra money when you can often get essentially the same thing for far less?

It appears you haven't read too much about it...

Sure it may not be for you, or even me for that matter, but it is, with longer scale length, altogether a different beast. The price is actually 50% more than Korean JTVs, and 600 more than the Standard, so hardly 3-4 times the price.

I reckon stuff like this makes Line 6 rethink their future with the Variax, and that can only be a good thing, cos you know it's gonna make them strive to improve it even more....

It appears you haven't read too much about it...

I know exactly what it is, and I know what it costs. I was speaking in general terms about signature model guitars, not this one in particular...I specifically said "in most cases" when referring to price discrepancies, and I stand by that statement. The vast majority of signature models are laughably overpriced for what you're actually getting. You're paying for a name. There are exceptions to every rule, however...this being one of them.

I know exactly what it is, and I know what it costs. I was speaking in general terms about signature model guitars, not this one in particular...I specifically said "in most cases" when referring to price discrepancies, and I stand by that statement. The vast majority of signature models are laughably overpriced for what you're actually getting. You're paying for a name. There are exceptions to every rule, however...this being one of them.

Fair enough - my bad...

• 10 months later...

I think the whole six threads in the Shuriken forum will tell you how popular they are... not my cup of tea I'm afraid....

You'd be surprised. See "spotlight logical fallacy". Forums are the best medium to observe what people on forums say  ;) 

Les Paul's came out in 1952 (66 years ago). Strats came out in 1954 (64 years ago). 

For those who believe Variax is another way to imitate Fender & Gibson aesthetically and otherwise . . . I'd suggest you've missed the point of Variax tech (it is so much more), and by that metric, Shuriken Guitars is on track to recalibrate what Variax tech is to creative guitarists around the world. 

-Stevic