Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume Pedal Block Issues with Parallel Wet/Dry Scenario

wmayhem

Hello all.  I've become excited by the possibilities of using volume pedal to control volume of a totally wet parallel path in Helix, as in this Line 6 video tutorial:  

I'm new to Helix and when I try to assign a volume pedal block as in the video, at the beginning of the parallel path, and try to have it learn Volume parameter to Exp 1, nothing happens.  When I change the parameter to "Gain" then it seems to work but that is not what is shown in the video.

Any clues?  Is Volume the parameter that I'm seeking or is it Gain?  Gain seems to have a very non-linear response even when the linear curve is selected.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

You just need to drop a volume block into that parallel path. You don't even need to assign the expression pedal to it because it defaults to EXP2. Just drop the block in and it should work. 

Thanks much for your reply...  Your suggestion doesn't work if EXP2 is already assigned to the volume of the whole preset...  Any further suggestions?  

If you just have the on board expression pedal, you can use EXP1 for the wet path. You will have to use the toe switch in the expression pedal to switch to EXP1 to control the wet path, then back to EXP2 to control the whole preset. 

If you just have the on board expression pedal, you can use EXP1 for the wet path. You will have to use the toe switch in the expression pedal to switch to EXP1 to control the wet path, then back to EXP2 to control the whole preset. 

Thanks...  Yes, I get that...  When assigning EXP1 to the wet path simply learning the EXP1 pedal for the "Position" parameter (not "Gain" or "Pan") does nothing.  Only when assigning "Gain" does it affect the wet path.  Is that expected?  Thanks.

I am not sure. I haven't tried two volume blocks in one preset using EXP 2 and EXP 1. I don't see why it wouldn't work.  I'll have to try it when I am in front of my Helix later. Maybe someone else will chime in.

I don't remember there being a "Gain" parameter associated with the volume block though. If you scroll to 3:05 in the video it shows him selecting Volume/Pan>stereo>Volume Pedal. He does not select gain or pan. Those are two different things. There are three selections: volume, gain, pan. Choose volume. 

I am not sure. I haven't tried two volume blocks in one preset using EXP 2 and EXP 1. I don't see why it wouldn't work.  I'll have to try it when I am in front of my Helix later. Maybe someone else will chime in.

I don't remember there being a "Gain" parameter associated with the volume block though. If you scroll to 3:05 in the video it shows him selecting Volume/Pan>stereo>Volume Pedal. He does not select gain or pan. Those are two different things. There are three selections: volume, gain, pan. Choose volume. 

Thanks!  That's exactly what I did (chose Volume) and it has no effect at all on the actual volume of the wet path.  :(

I have a feeling both your volume blocks are being controlled by the same expression pedal. Try removing the volume block that effects the entire preset and just leave the one on the wet path. Post a picture of your screen if you can as well so we can see how your preset is set up. 

Picture of the preset attached.  Note that when I choose Volume Pedal it jumps to the "Position" parameter...  and when I learn that with EXP1 position changes with the pedal but the actual volume of the parallel path is not affected.

post-290182-0-72214600-1485881763_thumb.jpg

I'll have to try it later on mine. I've never tried two volume blocks in one preset before. 

I did notice though that your wet path contains an IR and you are routing that in front of your amp model. You may not get the desired "wet/dry/wet" sound that you are looking for that way. Not to mention the wet path with IR then going through the amp and another cabinet may sound really dead because you are routing that side through an IR and cabinet. 

Your wet path should be in parallel after your amp/cab model to simulate separate dry cabinet and wet cabinet sounds. What you are doing is not wrong, but it is not modeling a wet/dry system. It is modeling a parallel effect path in front of an amp.