Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Controller

Andy1175

I'd like some more details about the Helix controller, such as whether it's powered by the Helix or needs a separate supply, but I can't find it in amongst the products section of this site. I've found the FBV 3 but I think that's a different product, it does have an expression pedal though and I don't think the Helix Controller does, so maybe that would be a better option. Would it do just a good a job or am I better off with the dedicated controller?

Thanks

The FBV3 is not listed as compatible with the Helix - I don't think that is an option.

The Controller is the way to go if you have to have a rack unit.

I personally don't understand why you would want the rack unit - even if you spend all your time in the studio, with the editor on a PC/Mac, I don't see the attraction  - there must be one.........??? Rack people???

I personally don't understand why you would want the rack unit - even if you spend all your time in the studio, with the editor on a PC/Mac, I don't see the attraction  - there must be one.........??? Rack people???

Comfort and Convenience. The editing controls are as high off the floor as you want them. No backbreaking to adjust knobs.

Security. The heart of the system (and the really expensive part) is off the floor and less vulnerable to the drunks spilling beer or stepping on the floor device. The Control unit is cheaper to replace.

There are a lot of reasons that the rack is great, especially in the studio, but also on stage.

When I use Helix on-stage the only thing that is at my feet is control and the EXP's and it's simple and clean.

That said, I think that if you are playing live, and even if you are in the studio, most people are better off with the Floor.

And if you get the rack, and don't get control, you'll probably regret it.

As above; I opted deliberately to get Rack & Control for live purposes.

Main reason; I do anything and everything to avoid having any audio coming out to the front, and I don't use any external gear.

So only control, plus my two Mission expression pedals (Helix specific for toe-switch & EXP1, and Line 6 specific for EXP2) and one upgrade-type Ethercon cable providing power and data transfer to & from Control and its EXPs.

I have a 3-space Gator rack box holding Helix Rack, with my Relay G50 parked on top of it (on a mini hook-on & removable 'shelf/platform' which keeps the Relay receiver level, whereas my Rack box is aimed up at an angle at me and off the floor using a repurposed Amp stand. I can see the display easily, reach the controls easily, I have a cable-minding solution working at the back to keep my various cabling coming from the rack unit away from being pinched while parking the unit onto the stand...

I can set this up almost as quickly as I was able to set up my bean PODhd set-up - and that, I used with the same mindset; no audio lines out to the front.

That's my personal reasoning, and I've been happy with the results, and I'd be the last person to push my reasoning onto someone else; simply shared for information's sake.

... and there've been any number of times that I've considered acquiring a floor unit for my use at home.

... then again, Helix Native could change the face of that, dependent upon controller developments.

Personally, I greatly prefer Helix Rack+Control to Helix floor, both live and in the studio. More I/O, duplicate control jacks, faster to set up, brains kept away from the punters, smaller stage footprint, etc.

In the studio, I keep Helix control on my keyboard controller for quick block selection.

• Upvote 1

Comfort and Convenience. The editing controls are as high off the floor as you want them. No backbreaking to adjust knobs.

This is one of the main reasons for me also, I have very poor eyesight which requires me to have my face 3 - 4 inches away from the display, it'll save me a fortune in ibuprofen.  :)

-

• 8 months later...

I'm trying to get myself to buy the floor unit, but I have seen what happens when backwards-hat-wearing drunks come up to request yet another Dave Matthews Band song and spill an entire Bud Light on your pedal board in the process. I'm probably going to get the Rack unit to replace my HD Pro.