Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

External MIDI Control

cdiddy5000

So this post ties in with my other regarding 2 guitarists running into 1 Helix...

http://line6.com/support/topic/25444-1-helix-2-guitarists/

As of right now, I am using the Helix in stomp mode to make changes within my FX chain to get the sounds I need for one of my bands. I would ideally like to start using the snapshot feature, but am hesitant how it will work in this particular instance. Let me explain...

The other guitar player in one of my bands is controlling the FX blocks in her chain with an external MIDI controller. With me only using stomp mode, this works out great as I only control my chain and she, hers. If i were to use snapshots, it would inevitably alter whatever settings she currently has toggled without her MIDI controller updating on her end (e.g. distortion block would be toggled off, but still be lit up on her board). 

So let me cut to the chase...

Is there any way possible to tell the Helix to ignore certain blocks and not others when changing between snapshots? I hope this concept makes sense in the way i am describing it. I would guess that the Helix can't do this at the moment, but then again, I have only 2 days experience with this unit and have discovered a ton of cool stuff (with everyone's generous help, of course!) that makes workflow so much faster. Loving the tones I'm getting so far. 

The big test comes tomorrow with the band. I am totally jumping in with both feet. Wish me luck!

Snapshots inherently store the bypass state of every block, so fundamentally the answer to your question is no.

However...

-They can also control up to I think 64 parameter settings per patch. Those you have to opt into, per parameter.

- There's a global setting whose name I don't remember that controls what happens when you change the bypass state of a block, switch snapshots, then come back to the first snap. Either all block states are always recalled as they were in each snap, or on the fly bypass changes persist in each snapshot.

Neither of those directly or elegantly or completely addresses what you want to do I think, but they might be useful.

Really, and I know this is a super First World answer, you kind of need two Helixes for two people.

Snapshots inherently store the bypass state of every block, so fundamentally the answer to your question is no.

However...

-They can also control up to I think 64 parameter settings per patch. Those you have to opt into, per parameter.

- There's a global setting whose name I don't remember that controls what happens when you change the bypass state of a block, switch snapshots, then come back to the first snap. Either all block states are always recalled as they were in each snap, or on the fly bypass changes persist in each snapshot.

Neither of those directly or elegantly or completely addresses what you want to do I think, but they might be useful.

Really, and I know this is a super First World answer, you kind of need two Helixes for two people.

I know the setting you're referring to, and yes, my issue is totally a first world problem.

Just saw this one on ideascale a few days ago. Looks like you're not the only one requesting it. Or maybe you submitted it :) 

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Bypass-State-of-Effects-Not-Controlled-by-Snapshots/866269-23508

Maybe not a top priority for me, but it sounds useful, as almost everything adding flexibility.

Raph

Just saw this one on ideascale a few days ago. Looks like you're not the only one requesting it. Or maybe you submitted it :)

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Bypass-State-of-Effects-Not-Controlled-by-Snapshots/866269-23508

Maybe not a top priority for me, but it sounds useful, as almost everything adding flexibility.

Raph

This was not me, but it most definitely is someone trying to do the same thing. I upvoted it.