Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hooking up a Kemper to the HELIX

cptnstlite

Yes, I know. Anyway... :D

I've got my Kemper 'Main Out' going to 'Return 1' on the HELIX. Is this the best (only?) way to hook the Kemper up to the HELIX? I'm not so sure what to do on the HELIX. Initially, the output is low.

Anybody have any advice? Obviously you don't need to own a Kemper, just an understanding of what it is I want to accomplish. Thanks for any help you can offer...

Lets see. You can use aux 1 to send from Helix @ instrument lvl to the guitar input on Kemper, and then the Main out 1/4" mono left side from Kemper to the Return 2 on Helix, set to line level (because the outs on the KPA is @ line lvl). That should get your Kemper sounds in Helix. Then use the editor to place where you like/decide.

Thanks for replying, I'll give that a whirl. I don't know how, but I lost USB 7&8 inputs in Reaper. It's only showing inputs 1 through 8. Any idea how I might have screwed up? I had it before...

EDIT: Not sure why, but the input says input 7 but it IS USB 7 as I'm getting a direct signal as I should be. Strange...

The way I have mine set up right this minute is loop 1 send to the alternate input on the rear of the KPA, and the main outs to loops 1 and 2 returns.  I use a mono send block and a stereo return block.  I have also run it with S/PDIF cables, the connection there is Helix Path 1 output set to S/PDIF (which goes to the Kemper S/PDIF in) and Path 2 input also set to S/PDIF (Kemper S/PDIF out).  This puts everything you place on path 1 in front of the KPA, and everything on path 2 after it. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

fordebo = can you be a little bit more specific with the spdif connections? 

I have my Kemper going into the Helix via spdif and then opened a template in Helix that has two paths. 

I used 01D - Super Serial x2 and followed your steps. I have signal from guitar to the amp but no Kemper

tone in the process. 

On the KPA spdif output i have master stereo selected 

Please help.