Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is there an effect that would let me simulate drop tuning?

mikecalligaro

I bought a Spider V 240 for my son for Christmas.  I liked it so much that, when he took it away to college, I bought another one for myself.  I just got it last week and am slowly figuring it out.  (Thank you for letting me turn off the blinking tap light!) 

I would like a way to simulate tuning my guitar down a half step (open D#, G#, C#, F#, A#, D#).  I know that doing this electronically won't sound as good as actually tuning the guitar, but for practicing the occasional drop-tuned song, it would probably be helpful.  Is there an effect or setting that I can use to do this?

Thanks,

Mike Calligaro 

I tried pitch bend in the SYN section, but it plays the original note along with the bent one.  You can adjust the mix, but only to quiet the bent note, not to remove the original.  I don't see a section for pitch effects.  Are there different effects available for different amp types?  Maybe I've chosen an amp model that doesn't have pitch effects?  <confused>

I wish there was a deeper manual than the 3 page one that came with the amp.

Mike

I tried pitch bend in the SYN section, but it plays the original note along with the bent one.  You can adjust the mix, but only to quiet the bent note, not to remove the original.  I don't see a section for pitch effects.  Are there different effects available for different amp types?  Maybe I've chosen an amp model that doesn't have pitch effects?  <confused>

I wish there was a deeper manual than the 3 page one that came with the amp.

Mike

Use the Pitch Bend effect

Pos  50

Heel  -1  (for one semitone below, -2 for a whole step down, -3 for 1.5 steps down etc)

Toe   0

Mix  100%

You can use any preset or amp model type you want, but it works better on dist amps.

Note that using Delay with the pitch effect may pulse at times at the tempo of delay. You are putting one fx type into another.

• Like 1

Thank you GuitarDad!  That works pretty well.  I originally thought I was hearing both notes amplified, but when I played with the mix and heard what playing both notes REALLY sounds like, I realized that I wasn't.  I think what I'm hearing is just the limitations of pitch bending digitally.  Everyone said it wouldn't sound very good, but this is workable for my needs. 

I appreciate your help.

Mike