Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cloud/Bloom reverb

jbright44

So I used to have a strymon big Sky and loved the heck out of that thing. The one thing I used all the time was the cloud and bloom reverb machines and I miss them so much. I've been trying to figure out how the heck to get That sound and the other day I think I landed on it.

I put a cavern and a particle verb in parallel. BOOM! The cave verb gives me that big wide open attack, blended with the particle for that later blooming ethereal sound and I was right where I wanted to be! I'd love to see line 6 develop some more of those types of whacky reverb likenin the big Sky, but for now, I'm pretty happy with this configuration.

Hopefully this helps someone out!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Line 6's last Helix User Guide PDF was released in July for the version 2 firmware. As I recollect, rev D, is the current version. It is available for download from the Line 6 Support site Manual's area. Sprinkled throughout the document are numerous ideas and user tips and tricks.

DI has posted that Line 6 does not release interim updates to the User Guide PDF. This allows resources to prepare updates to be reserved for major releases. This may mean we won't see a User Gude update until the next major firmware update. Perhaps this may not be until firmware 3.0.

There have also been a profusion of great suggestions in various online Fourms (here, TGP Forums, etc.) in which several Line 6 reps participate. Collectively, since the last PDF, there have been many great tip and tricks and other user suggestions, including some from Ben Adrian of Line 6 who is largely responsible for designing several of Helix's 6 amp profiles and FX.

So I used to have a strymon big Sky and loved the heck out of that thing. The one thing I used all the time was the cloud and bloom reverb machines and I miss them so much. I've been trying to figure out how the heck to get That sound and the other day I think I landed on it.

I put a cavern and a particle verb in parallel. BOOM! The cave verb gives me that big wide open attack, blended with the particle for that later blooming ethereal sound and I was right where I wanted to be! I'd love to see line 6 develop some more of those types of whacky reverb likenin the big Sky, but for now, I'm pretty happy with this configuration.

Hopefully this helps someone out!

What are your settings on the reverbs?

• 3 months later...

Wonderful post! But can someone please share more details on the settings and placement of the Cave and Particle in your chain?

What do you mean when you say "parallel" with these effects? And guessing, but assuming try Cave first and then Particle?

Yes, I know a lot of this is "to taste" but please help us newbies with more details. ;)

Put the cave on path 1a and particle on path 1b. Put the splits on either side of the cave reverb so that the 2 reverb are running parallel to each other. If you put cave then particle on the same path that's in series.

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused... Does the Big Sky allow you to blend both the "Bloom" and "Cloud" reverbs together? Is that what you are trying to approximate by blending the "Cavern" and "Particle" verb in parallel on the Helix? Any chance of an audio clip comparison?

I've never played a Big Sky nor heard (that I am aware of) Cloud and Bloom reverbs, but I have also taken to running Cave and Particle reverbs in parallel, then into a Plate reverb in series for "big" reverb textures, fantastic!

Bloom and cloud verb are two different delay machines in the big sky. You can't blend them but they are similar. If you're someone who's used those effects and wishes you could get it in the helix, then what I've listed above does a pretty decent job. If you don't know what I'm talking about and have no reference point then what I'm saying probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense