Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax to HD500X to L2t to L2m problem

Wondering if my problem is with the gear or design.  Here's my set up:

JTV  (VDI) --> HD500X (L6) --> L2T (L6) --> L2M

With that, everything works fine, both speakers engaged, etc.

However when I plug an acoustic into the L2T mixer, it only comes out of the L2T, not out the L2M.  If I unplug the POD, then both speakers work with the acoustic through the mixer.  Plug the POD back in, the M drops off.  Is this an issues with the system, or is my M or T not working right?

I think it is because linked to the HD500X the speakers are stereo and when unplugged they go into linked mono because you haven't got the reverse connection from L2M back to L2T to make it stereo. As in - it is supposed to work this way.

If you want it work how you expect then you could try an L6Link loopback (connect L6 Link out from each speaker to the input of the other one) and then the 1/4" outputs from the HD500X to each speaker or 1/4 inch to phono into the phone stereo connectors.

Haven't tried this though - I just put my JTV through my HD500 for acoustic and electric

Thanks for the reply. I know there are work arounds. I can plug the acoustic into the HD's guitar input and not use the mixer (I add a 12 string acoustic when solo - have never liked the variax models). But if I want to plug a mic into the mixer, if my HD is "Linked", I lose the L2M side. I can't loop back from the M (and shouldn't have to as the signal is only going one way right - everything goes into the 2T and sent to the 2M), because my HD is using one input, the send to the 2M uses the other.

The easiest work around is to send the HD out a 1/4 inch plug and not the L6, but that seems to defeat the whole reason the L6 system was made, to seamlessly link all these proprietary tools together.

Line 6 Link was really about the Dream Stage concept M20d + 4xL3m + 2xL3s + 4xL2m where you take one output from the M20d and daisy chain the other 9 speakers together. Or you take 2xL3t and loopback 

I am not convinced that they necessarily thought all of the variations through properly especially when it comes to stereo and feeding from Pod HD or Helix. One big hint is that they didn't include a Pan control on the Mixer versions even though a stereo pair is supported

I agree with you that using L6 link and the mixer should probably come out of both speakers, but they might have been thinking that it works better assuming that somebody else is also plugged into the other speaker if the sound comes only from the speaker next to the musician.

It might be worth an IdeaScale suggestion, but nothing has happened around the Stage products in a very long time.

The design decision might also have opted for similar behaviour in both speakers when you use the side panel mixer along with another device that uses the L6 Link In on one speaker.

In the described situation the side panel mixer being used is on the speaker to which the POD is also connected. Technically it is possible to route the mixer input to the other speaker. However if the side panel mixer on the other speaker were used instead, or in addition, it would not be technically possible to route the signal back to the other speaker because it's L6 Link In is already used by the POD. Perhaps Line 6 opted for consistent behaviour in this situation when using the side panel mixer on either speaker.

Thanks for the input.  I'm comforted to know that everything works as it should (although not ideally how I'd like!).  The 2T is new, the 2M is used, just glad to know neither is a lemon.  This system will be fine solo plugging the HD into the Line In, 12 string and mic into the mixer.  For the rare times I'd use it in the duet, we can use 2 mics in the mixer and each of us use the Line In on the T and M.  In both cases, I'd use the Link6 ins and outs between the speakers.