Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix stand

jbuhajla

So recently I started a thread with Helix case/bag ideas and people posted what they are using. I decided to do the same with stands. A lot of us bring the floor unit up off of the floor when using it for an audio interface, or just creating patches. 

My wife found a keyboard stand at a second hand store and it works very well. I have seen other using music stands and various other ideas. Post them here to give others some good ideas. 

post-2402848-0-34072900-1486561295_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

So recently I started a thread with Helix case/bag ideas and people posted what they are using. I decided to do the same with stands. A lot of us bring the floor unit up off of the floor when using it for an audio interface, or just creating patches.

My wife found a keyboard stand at a second hand store and it works very well. I have seen other using music stands and various other ideas. Post them here to give others some good ideas.

As I recall this has been discussed a while ago - check here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/22087-heavy-duty-music-stand-≈-helix-stand/#entry169128

Since then I have upgraded from using the old snare drum stand to something a little more sturdy, but I can't find pic at the moment. I will see if I can find a link to the supplier and post that.

EDIT

OK here ya go check this:

http://picclick.co.uk/Vonyx-Universal-Adjustable-Laptop-Notebook-Projector-Mixer-DJ-121392408294.html

Vonyx Universal Adjustable Laptop Notebook Projector Mixer DJ Decks Stand

Put it on the floor and step on it!

I would have agreed with this until two nights ago. I managed to drag my Variax cable over the Helix while practicing, and switched snapshots in the middle of a song. Now I'm thinking of making a platform to raise it just 1/2" off the floor, so I can wrap the Variax cable under it, and prevent that from happening during a gig.

I would have agreed with this until two nights ago. I managed to drag my Variax cable over the Helix while practicing, and switched snapshots in the middle of a song. Now I'm thinking of making a platform to raise it just 1/2" off the floor, so I can wrap the Variax cable under it, and prevent that from happening during a gig.

re-arrange where that cable is going?

I'd still be worried about how I move on stage. I'm thinking a couple of pieces of light weight plastic to raise the unit up enough to run the cable under and out the front, should prevent it from dragging across the top and still let me move back and forth without being paranoid.

Put it on the floor and step on it!

This is a really helpful piece of advice from someone who uses Helix rack unit 😉

Gaffs tape? 😎

Gaffs tape?

That I also thought about. Carrying a roll of sticky tape in my gig bag doesn't sound like a good thing. But, to be totally safe, I might raise the unit, run the cable under, and tape it down for good measure. I guess I can put the tape in a plastic bag.

Gaffs tape?

That I also thought about. Carrying a roll of sticky tape in my gig bag doesn't sound like a good thing. But, to be totally safe, I might raise the unit, run the cable under, and tape it down for good measure. I guess I can put the tape in a plastic bag.

Ha ha ha. Damn predictive text on this iPad - should be Gaffer tape as in

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape

Don't keep it in your gig bag - give it to the drummer! It could keep him quiet for hours.

I ran a strip of adhesive velcro down the side, then run the cable down that side and slap a piece of opposing velcro over it.  Done.

Gaffs tape?

Currently I do the gaffers tape thing but I'm planning on trying a rug that I will run all my cables under. Saves on taping time and money. The size may be too much of a hassle though so we'll see.

Many Office Supply and Home Improvement stores carry flexible moulded floor wire covering in various segment lengths. You can also find this stuff on line. 

Google "floor wire covering" and you'll get multiple hits and images.

These have multiple channels molded in the core and easily accomodate several cable runs.

The material is very inexpensive, and sold in various colors.

Buy a 6 or 10 foot segment and cut it in to accomodate multiple runs. 

I've been using this stuff for years and it is incredibly durable!

I vastly prefer the slighty wider yet flatter roof-top style cross cut design, rather than the rounded cross cut design. 

Design Guy (in the TGP mega thread) said that one of the reasons for the curved sides on Helix floor is so that it is easy to wedge the guitar lead/VDI under the edge of the Helix when playing live to avoid the cable getting snagged.

Another reason of course is that it makes it easier to pick it up when you have to clear the stage in 60 seconds so the next band can set up

I have a Helix Rack and floor controller and I put the floor controller on top of my short rack on this and it's perfect.  The angle is also adjustable so it makes it really convenient.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WRDS8H0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just got this for my floor unit to use on my studio desktop. Works perfectly.

When I'm doing a lot of editing (which I do mostly on the Helix itself, not with the editor software), I've been putting my Helix on top of the el cheapo plastic rolling drawers thingy where I keep mics, strings, yadda. I put a laptop behind it for backing up, IR management, etc. Works sort of ok, not great.

- It's against the wall, not midline in the room, to be out of the way, too bulky for the middle of my little "studio" room

- Working on the laptop is pretty inconvenient; it's too far away, too low, and the cables from the back of the Helix are somewhat in the way

Does anyone have any great ideas about a stand to hold both a Helix and a laptop? Ideally something portable and/or collapsible, so it can stashed out of the way when I'm not using it?

This is just for home, not a gig thing.

For what it's worth, when working with mine I keep it on the old Proline amp stand I used for combos and 2x12 cabs prior to getting Helix.  With the back arms up I can even put it at an angle to see the screen better.  I use a couple of elastic ties as "stops" to keep it from sliding.  My MacBook sits on a desk nearby. 

post-2481133-0-21119600-1487603793_thumb.jpg

Those ProLine (and equivalent) Amp stands with the dual reversable L-bracket arms work great to support the Helix!

I have a buddy using his Helix Floor on an On Stage Stands SM7211B Heavy Duty Music Stand (under $40). He's got a bit of velcro to secure it the Helix in place. He's lossened the treadle so he can use it with his hand, and also uses a Mission Exp Pedal on the floor.  

post-2375236-0-99559300-1487625485.jpg

51DCVy9PqTL._SL1200_.jpg

For a bit more agility, the On Stage Stands MX400 Rolling Mixer/AutoLocator Stand (about $83 from B&H) is another alternative:

On_Stage_MIX_400_Mixer_Stand_14514952370

post-2375236-0-99559300-1487625485_thumb.jpg

But where does the laptop go? Previous threads have mentioned various Helix-only solutions, but I'm looking for something to hold both Helix and a laptop, stacked vertically somehow, sort of, if such a thing exists.

But where does the laptop go? Previous threads have mentioned various Helix-only solutions, but I'm looking for something to hold both Helix and a laptop, stacked vertically somehow, sort of, if such a thing exists.

I'd attach this to the aforementioned music stand.  It would probably work with my amp stand as well, though I'd want to lock the upper arms in place somehow first. 

https://on-stage.com/products/view/11744/117494

Ironically, they stock it at one of my local stores here in Virginia Beach.  That is, if I'm not mistaking it with the LPT5000 model.  I certainly would ditch the lower shelf, unless I decided to stick my M5 on it.  I was originally eyeing it to put my MacBook over my MIDI keyboard on a small desk.