Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help! Hard to engage JTV from magnetic to modelling sound

What's happening? It's hard to engage, everytime i push the the button from magnetic pick ups to the modelling sound. 

Also, the battery won't charge fully. 

Could this be the main reason why my HD500 won't power up my JTV using VDI?

The switch being hard to engage is a known issue due to the pot shaft being slightly too short - gently lever the knob off and insert something to pad it such as a small bit of paper, then put knob back on.

Battery not fully charging is likely to because it has degraded over time

HD500 not powering over VDI is a different issue and could be down to a number of things from the wrong power supply on the HD500 (not enough current), a faulty VDI socket at either end or a faulty VDI lead. Hard to say without knowing more.

The switch being hard to engage is a known issue due to the pot shaft being slightly too short - gently lever the knob off and insert something to pad it such as a small bit of paper, then put knob back on.

Battery not fully charging is likely to because it has degraded over time

HD500 not powering over VDI is a different issue and could be down to a number of things from the wrong power supply on the HD500 (not enough current), a faulty VDI socket at either end or a faulty VDI lead. Hard to say without knowing more.

The VDI one that i'm using is the original that comes from the package. It worked well with my workbench. Also, my other variax 300 worked well with that VDI cable thru my HD500. I really can't figure it out what's happening.

STOP right there...

That cable is a programming interface cable not a proper VDI cable - unless you bought secondhand and a proper one was included.  When we say VDI here we mean a cable that has Neutric XLR style metal plugs on both ends.

The cable that comes with the guitar is only for use connecting the JTV to the USB interface box for Workbench and Firmware upgrades.

You need the proper VDI if connecting JTV to HD500 - if you don't have the solid connection then the slightest tug in the wrong direction can wrench the plug in the socket and break either, which would give you faulty socket or cable.

Want you want if you don't want to buy a Line 6 VDI cable is an Ethercon cable - they are the same thing - Cat 5 type plugs with Neutric shields that will solidly engage at both ends.

Lets hope that you haven't damaged the sockets in the JTV or HD500

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

STOP right there...

That cable is a programming interface cable not a proper VDI cable - unless you bought secondhand and a proper one was included.  When we say VDI here we mean a cable that has Neutric XLR style metal plugs on both ends.

The cable that comes with the guitar is only for use connecting the JTV to the USB interface box for Workbench and Firmware upgrades.

You need the proper VDI if connecting JTV to HD500 - if you don't have the solid connection then the slightest tug in the wrong direction can wrench the plug in the socket and break either, which would give you faulty socket or cable.

Want you want if you don't want to buy a Line 6 VDI cable is an Ethercon cable - they are the same thing - Cat 5 type plugs with Neutric shields that will solidly engage at both ends.

Lets hope that you haven't damaged the sockets in the JTV or HD500

Thank you very much! I may have to buy a real VDI cable and try to risk myself if it works. Will update everyone here.

That's... Just plain not true. VDI and ethercon are the same, yes, and both are nothing more than a CAT5e cable with a XLR-style shield around them. The one that comes with the guitar works just fine or they wouldn't include it. I use it all the time to run my JTV89 with my Helix. Have not had a single problem. You could grab an Ethernet cable and use that, too. They are not magic cables.

No they are not magic cables - and yes you can use any old ethernet cat 5 cable. As long as you don't move around too much. The RJ45 connector is designed for static use - it is made of plastic and is fairly weak construction.

Now apply significant load to it  - in any direction - say attach a 10 kg weight to the network cable hanging out of your PC and drop it several feet.  

What just happened?

If you are lucky - it all held and the cable pulled out because the plastic strip was strong enough. Far more likely - and this is why you didn't really try this is that the RJ45 plug and/or socket broke. If it was the socket and it was mounted on the motherboard of you PC then you need to get the soldering iron out or buy a new motherboard.

This example is exactly the same as you connecting your JTV to Helix with a simple ethernet cable - it works fine if things are static such as sitting in your music room.

Things are not so great on Stage or in the Rehearsal room or Studio when somebody else trips over your lead or you forget and walk too far while wearing the guitar. That is how you break the sockets on your $1000 Guitar or $1500 Helix, or with a partial break get intermittent connections. 

The one included with the guitar is only intended to be used to connect the guitar to the USB dongle used for Workbench.  The USB connection is simple pull to release so the chance of doing any damage is very slim and if damage is done then it is to the dirt cheap dongle.

At the end of the day I am only pointing out what Line 6 will have built into their Warranty as damage caused by misuse of the equipment - if you break the sockets in guitar or helix by using the incorrect type of cable then it will be very obvious and they will not cover the repair cost so it will be on you to pay.

That's... Just plain not true. VDI and ethercon are the same, yes, and both are nothing more than a CAT5e cable with a XLR-style shield around them. The one that comes with the guitar works just fine or they wouldn't include it. I use it all the time to run my JTV89 with my Helix. Have not had a single problem. You could grab an Ethernet cable and use that, too. They are not magic cables.

The crappy cable that comes with the guitar will never survive gigging. Sitting immobile in a chair at home? Sure...but just about anybody will shred that thing trying to use it live. Possible exceptions made for boring, mannequin-like players completely lacking in stage presence. ;)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cracks me up that this late in the game there are still issues with that knob. It's a stupid, easily fixable problem that simply never been addressed. Unreal.

The LAST thing that anyone would want to hear is,"You need to use a WAD of paper and stick it" ??. That means you have a defective product that they continue to sell. It's not normal, no matter what anyone tries to tell you, that it's up to you to fix a brand new guitar.

NOT a high-tech answer for a supposed high-tech instrument that has had this specific issue ever since it came out.

If you don't have the ability to make this simple fix in one of your products, don't expect your customers to have any faith in what comes next.

Line6 has ignored it's customers complaints and has NEVER addressed this issue. I know, I've had a 59 for a long time. Had my share of issues with it too, but I continue to use it in varying performance situations when it's just plainly a better logistical choice to haul around. Does it sound better than my analog gear? No. Would I buy another one? No. Why? More to do with being gig reliable and system degradation than anything else but also the fact that this stuff will never last long enough to become "Vintage Gear". Just too many bug-a-boo's show up out of nowhere at exactly the WRONG time. I'll just start getting rid of my stuff as it fails because getting it fixed is a real pain in the whowho......you'll learn.

Also, if it's such a simple fix,why hasn't the manufacturer "Simply Fixed it????

On the cable....listen and don't use the ones with the plastic connectors.

Also acoustics sound way better in FRFR...IMHO,I use a HD500x pushing a pair of LT3's  and they will handle most anything except the largest of venues. Quite a monetary investment by the time your done if you throw in the price of a Helix.

On a closing note,many are happy with the JTV's and love them, many have had bad luck and hate them. There is alot that can go wrong with them and sometimes getting it all sorted out can be frustrating at best.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck, and keep on keepin' on!!

Shawn

Are you using the VDI cable that has the Cannon connector shell on both ends?

Is the HD500 in "Force" or "Don't Force" mode for JTV patch changes?

The knob manufacturing simple fix,... that doesn't on all guitars, all the time. We

have a fix for that, if and when it occurs. And it's not paper wad.

BTW,... CAT5e is not totally the same as regular CAT5. There are several grades

of CAT5, depending on the application and frequency band you are operating in. So

make certain that whatever CAT5 you use is for your application and frequency band,

because not all CAT5 is made the same.

The LAST thing that anyone would want to hear is,"You need to use a WAD of paper and stick it" ??. That means you have a defective product that they continue to sell. It's not normal, no matter what anyone tries to tell you, that it's up to you to fix a brand new guitar.

NOT a high-tech answer for a supposed high-tech instrument that has had this specific issue ever since it came out.

If you don't have the ability to make this simple fix in one of your products, don't expect your customers to have any faith in what comes next.

Line6 has ignored it's customers complaints and has NEVER addressed this issue. I know, I've had a 59 for a long time. Had my share of issues with it too, but I continue to use it in varying performance situations when it's just plainly a better logistical choice to haul around. Does it sound better than my analog gear? No. Would I buy another one? No. Why? More to do with being gig reliable and system degradation than anything else but also the fact that this stuff will never last long enough to become "Vintage Gear". Just too many bug-a-boo's show up out of nowhere at exactly the WRONG time. I'll just start getting rid of my stuff as it fails because getting it fixed is a real pain in the whowho......you'll learn.

Also, if it's such a simple fix,why hasn't the manufacturer "Simply Fixed it????

On the cable....listen and don't use the ones with the plastic connectors.

Also acoustics sound way better in FRFR...IMHO,I use a HD500x pushing a pair of LT3's and they will handle most anything except the largest of venues. Quite a monetary investment by the time your done if you throw in the price of a Helix.

On a closing note,many are happy with the JTV's and love them, many have had bad luck and hate them. There is alot that can go wrong with them and sometimes getting it all sorted out can be frustrating at best.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck, and keep on keepin' on!!

Shawn

Yup...it's regrettable, but reliability and durability are issues. I like my 69, it allows me to do things live that are otherwise logistical nightmares...but at just 3+ years old, it's beginning to crap out. Intermittently, I get dead silence using the VDI. There's no rhyme or reason to it, just happens. Thought it was the cable itself initially, as it's never happened with the flimsy Workbench-only cable, and it begun happening more often with my "real" VDI. But it did it again at rehearsal Monday night with a brand new VDI from Bestronics...so there goes that theory.

So far, after unplugging the cable a couple of times, it has come back to life and functioned normally, usually for quite a while before the next incident, but it's just a matter of time before it decides to take a dump right before I launch into a solo....so I've been reluctant to gig with it. Which of course negates the aforementioned benefits of having the thing in the first place. And as we all know, intermittent problems are nearly impossible to fix, as it's not yet happening consistently enough to be reproducible by whomever I send it to for repair. My local "authorized service center" leaves everything to be desired...couldn't manage to fix the rattling fan on my L2T properly, work which had to be re-done back at the mother ship. But I'm not paying for shipping to and from L6 just to hear "I dunno, played fine for me", which at this point is very likely to be the result. I'll just have to wait until it dies completely.

So here I sit with a thousand dollar guitar that works most of the time, but at any given moment might go silent. Good times...

• Upvote 1

Yup...it's regrettable, but reliability and durability are issues. I like my 69, it allows me to do things live that are otherwise logistical nightmares...but at just 3+ years old, it's beginning to crap out. Intermittently, I get dead silence using the VDI. There's no rhyme or reason to it, just happens. Thought it was the cable itself initially, but it did it to me at rehearsal Monday night with brand new VDI from Bestronics...so there goes that theory. So far, after unplugging the cable a couple of times, it has come back to life and functioned normally, usually for quite a while before the next incident, but it's just a matter of time before it decides to take a dump right before I launch into a solo....so I've been reluctant to gig with it. Which of course negates the aforementioned benefits of having the thing in the first place. And as we all know, intermittent problems are nearly impossible to fix, as it's not yet happening consistently enough to be reproducible by whomever I send it to. In all likelihood I'd get it back with a shrug and an "I don't know, played fine for me".

So here I sit with a thousand dollar guitar that works most of the time, but at any given moment might go silent. Good times...

Have you tried narrowing things down by using the battery instead of the VDI? I'm not suggesting that this is a solution - clearly the integration with Helix or whatever is lost - but it might help determine whether the problem is a general problem within the Variax, or narrowly related to the VDI connection, or perhaps even a problem with the device at the other end of the VDI.

Have you tried narrowing things down by using the battery instead of the VDI? I'm not suggesting that this is a solution - clearly the integration with Helix or whatever is lost - but it might help determine whether the problem is a general problem within the Variax, or narrowly related to the VDI connection, or perhaps even a problem with the device at the other end of the VDI.

Not extensively, as I rely a lot on dual-amp patches that toggle an acoustic model and the Variax mags, but I had the battery in the other night, and briefly plugged in with the 1/4" and there was sound. Played through one tune, then went back to the VDI, and violá...worked fine for the next 2 hours, and hasn't done it again since. It's very intermittent, which is part of the problem. Could be minutes, hours, or days between episodes, so troubleshooting is easier said than done. I've played it every day since without issue, and I suspect that it would have worked with the battery and 1/4" as well.

Could just be a problem with the wires in the VDI connection/jack itself on either end of the connections. May be a physical inspection and careful pin-straightening with a J-hook fashioned from a twist tie?

That's a good idea. Definitely worth a look...I'll check it out tonight. I really thought it was the cable...used the sh*tty Workbench cable daily for a couple of weeks with zero issues while I procrastinated on ordering a new one. Periodically would re-try what I assumed was the problem VDI cable, and invariably it would happen again, so I was pretty convinced that it was just that one cable, but apparently not.

There are two kinds of cable, the VDI/CAT5 for use with the guitar, one is for interfacing with a

computer to use Workbench and do program updates. The 25ft VDI with the Canon XLR type

shells on both ends is for playing the guitar through.

It's best if you don't try to use the HD500 as an interface for updating or Workbench usage, that

should be done using the interface device that came with the guitar.

There are two kinds of cable, the VDI/CAT5 for use with the guitar, one is for interfacing with a

computer to use Workbench and do program updates. The 25ft VDI with the Canon XLR type

shells on both ends is for playing the guitar through.

It's best if you don't try to use the HD500 as an interface for updating or Workbench usage, that

should be done using the interface device that came with the guitar.

Yes, I know what each cable is for...but when one was working reliably and the other wasn't, I was out of options if I wanted to use the guitar at all.

As for not using the POD as an interface...why bother designing the capability if we're not supposed to make use of it? So a rig that spends 100% of its time (while at home) connected to a computer and monitored through a DAW and studio monitors, now has to be disconnected every time I want to use Workbench? Then disconnect/reconnect repeatedly, swapping VDI cables each time so I can hear the changes I've made? You gotta be kidding. It's less work to just pick up the damn LP or Tele....

Besides...firmware updates with that stupid thing are a coin toss. I've had it fail half-way through, and/or lose connection altogether numerous times, but never once when connected through the POD. It's an infinite improvement.

• Upvote 1

Isolating devices during updates is just a good idea with computing devices in general.

Just a good habit in general.

Unless the device is a portal or hub, there is a risk of confusing the device that the data

is going through. Rare, very rare,...  but I've seen it happen out there in the world.

Well that's updates...which in my experience is a 50/50 proposition with the dongle. It doesn't work reliably. Period. And what of Workbench usage? You really think everyone's gonna play "musical cables" back and forth every time they want to make a minor adjustment? Giving us functionality, and then declaring that we shouldn't use it is...ugh. Words fail me.

Cable length and impedance can be key when it comes to usage.

You  wouldn't use RG6 coax cable for speaker cable, it wouldn't function

correctly at any length for that use, regardless of bandwidth.

Playing guitar is a difference bandwidth than data rate bandwidth for updates

and such. All I'm saying is, for optimum performance, use what's optimum for application.

The knob manufacturing simple fix,... that doesn't on all guitars, all the time. We

have a fix for that, if and when it occurs. And it's not paper wad.

Sark, 

Is the fix a secret ? Mine has "occured" since it was new. I think my paper wads are out of warranty now and this is the first time I think anybody has even heard that you guys have a solution.

If it's replacing the knobs themselves, I had to jimmy both of them, then Line6 should send out new ones to everyone who has had this problem as it IS a manufacturing defect well known to you.

From the sound of your post it, seems like another vague Line6 only repair that requires shipping it in to "An Authorized Service Center". ?????  I think 'ya'll have stock in UPS. Fer Christ's Sake, you guys always sound like 'yer guarding the Ark of the Covennent or something. Will you burst into flames if you tell us what the fix is ?  "Heaven Forbid"

This is another problem in dealing with Line6.......they never go back and fix known issues..........including the known issues with their updates for example. However, they are more than glad to tell YOU how to spend your time overcoming their F..k-ups. Then they just put out the next new thingie and move on. DETAILS MATTER !

That's why Line5 sent me a survey this morning about my JTV......maybe they'll help me out.................

Sarcastic Shawn

Yup...it's regrettable, but reliability and durability are issues. I like my 69, it allows me to do things live that are otherwise logistical nightmares...but at just 3+ years old, it's beginning to crap out. Intermittently, I get dead silence using the VDI. There's no rhyme or reason to it, just happens. Thought it was the cable itself initially, as it's never happened with the flimsy Workbench-only cable, and it begun happening more often with my "real" VDI. But it did it again at rehearsal Monday night with a brand new VDI from Bestronics...so there goes that theory.

So far, after unplugging the cable a couple of times, it has come back to life and functioned normally, usually for quite a while before the next incident, but it's just a matter of time before it decides to take a dump right before I launch into a solo....so I've been reluctant to gig with it. Which of course negates the aforementioned benefits of having the thing in the first place. And as we all know, intermittent problems are nearly impossible to fix, as it's not yet happening consistently enough to be reproducible by whomever I send it to for repair. My local "authorized service center" leaves everything to be desired...couldn't manage to fix the rattling fan on my L2T properly, work which had to be re-done back at the mother ship. But I'm not paying for shipping to and from L6 just to hear "I dunno, played fine for me", which at this point is very likely to be the result. I'll just have to wait until it dies completely.

So here I sit with a thousand dollar guitar that works most of the time, but at any given moment might go silent. Good times..

Exactly,

Maybe Line6 should include a virtual "Lucky Rabbits Foot 2.0" in their next offering?

I would have to write a book to even begin to relate everything that I've had go through with my gear................

It's been like starting out with Cheryl Tiegs as a girlfriend and then slowly watching her turn into Rosie McDonald.  YIKES!!!

Shawn

Secret? No.

It's not a regular occurrence thing. I have had four JTV's for five to six years now, and

haven't had that problem yet.

There's a spacer thing we have to deal with it, that I put inside to help it. It's cut special for that. 

=========================== 

Rosie McDonald? Do you mean Rosie O'Donnell?

Well that's updates...which in my experience is a 50/50 proposition with the dongle. It doesn't work reliably. Period. And what of Workbench usage? You really think everyone's gonna play "musical cables" back and forth every time they want to make a minor adjustment? Giving us functionality, and then declaring that we shouldn't use it is...ugh. Words fail me.

If you hook up the cables during a lightning storm,...you can bring dead people back to life.....so be careful for God's Sake.!.........

We don't want any accidents here   Cruiser !

Same answer all the time.....you need to try this, or that, or maybe hop on one foot and sing the hokie-pokie....it's never just plainly a short coming on their part, or products.

It's always a workaround the flaws solution that always puts the implied problem on you  ....never has Line6 confessed to anything ever being their fault ....IMHO.......

Cable length and impedance can be key when it comes to usage.

You wouldn't use RG6 coax cable for speaker cable, it wouldn't function

correctly at any length for that use, regardless of bandwidth.

Playing guitar is a difference bandwidth than data rate bandwidth for updates

and such. All I'm saying is, for optimum performance, use what's optimum for application.

GM used to think side-saddle gas tanks were a swell idea until a whole bunch of people burned to death in what were otherwise minor fender-benders. "Optimal" on paper is meaningless if the practical application thereof doesn't work. The dongle doesn't work very well. The POD connection does.

Secret? No.

It's not a regular occurrence thing. I have had four JTV's for five to six years now, and

There's a spacer thing we have to deal with it, that I put inside to help it. It's cut special for that. 

It's an inside joke.....I actually knew a girl when I was young named Rosie McDonald....she wasn't the pick of the litter either !

• 2 weeks later...

Secret? No.

How can I get one of these spacer rings?

• Upvote 1

How can I get one of these spacer rings?

Ask Mr Psarkissian for one.

He's a good dude, I'm sure he'd be more than glad to help you out.

Maybe a SASE and BINGO !   That way you won't void the warranty with an un-authorized paper wad.......just a joke there folks, just a joke....