Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L2M 'electric guitar' mode?

GazzaBloom

I know the general recommendation is to use the Helix and L2 monitors in Reference/PA mode but the Electric Guitar mode has me curious. In this video (with an HD500) it sounds like it gives a much more authentic 'amp in room' tone with plenty of mid range and some feedback.

Does anyone one use the Electric Guitar mode and have any views? Does it sounds like a traditional guitar cab? Would you use it with or without a Helix cab/IR?

I am not in a position to try before buy, I have also read that the L2s can be a bit bassy and too rich in the low end, is this the case?

Comparison between L2 reference mode and electric guitar mode at 15m10s:

Here's my educated guess. If you are using them as monitors and your audience is hearing something from a pa, set them to reference/PA.

If your audience is actually primarily hearing your speaker, set it to guitar if it sounds better.

Peter that is what I found out to be true for me.

My L2 is a great PA/Monitor, I can use it for Monitor in front of me on stage, or as a FOH and it is Fantastic!

GazzaBloom;

But as a back line amp sound, for me, I did find it best using in Guitar mode with cabs off out L6 link in Helix and XLR out with cabs on to FOH , for me it sounded like a Solid state amp, which was a bit dull for me, no sparkle. But it did feel and sound more like an amp vs a mic'd out to a Monitor.

That is why I'm trying out the Fryette PS2 out to a 1x12 cab, it has the tube sparkle that I like for my own personal taste for my backline. 

Bummer is I haven't had the chance to play it live and loud yet.... 

Peter has the right idea, from my perspective.  Through the L2t, the Helix is brighter, more lively, and louder in electric guitar mode.  If, however, you are using it as a PA speaker, running to a PA, or using acoustic patches with a piezo equipped electric guitar, then PA reference mode does the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

No. The POD HD can do that but Helix does not.

Hi, the guitarist in the band has a POD HD500x into a Stagesource L2t. HIs guitar is a Parker Fly with both coiled and piezo pick-ups. What he wants to be able to do is use the Acoustic setting on the L2T but then add either a mix of electric guitar or go fully over to electric guitar. With split channels on the HD500 we can have separate signal paths for the Piezo (in via Aux) and coiled pickups (guitar in) - with individual amp models or no amp model - and route them either out together or separately via the XLR outs with panning hard left and right into channel 1 and 2 of the L2T. So we have most of the variables but the missing link is... can we use the POD to switch L2T amp modes from Acoustic to Electric from within the patch e.g. with an assigned footswitch? Your post suggests we can. Thanks

...... can we use the POD to switch L2T amp modes from Acoustic to Electric from within the patch e.g. with an assigned footswitch? Your post suggests we can. Thanks

You can only do that if you connect the POD to the L2t via L6 LINK. It does not work with the analog connections.

I think you can do most of what you want with the following setup. All of this is theoretical - I've never actually done or tested it. But give it a try and see if it works for you.

- 1/4" L/MONO Out from POD to L2t Channel 1 input with acoustic modelling. Don't use the XLR POD output because it does not sum to MONO.

- L6 LINK Output from POD to L2t L6 LINK IN.

- use different POD dual-path presets for the Acoustic and Electric sounds. The L2t Speaker Mode setting is hidden within the POD preset. The setting is changed when you recall the preset - you can't change it within the preset by, e.g., a footswitch. The only way to change it within a preset is manually using the physical button on the speaker - impractical for live applications.

- in the POD mixer pan the signal paths fully L/R as you mentioned. Also, Mute the unwanted path.

- while in each preset, manually set the L2t Speaker Mode as desired, PA/Reference (for Acoustic) or Electric. SAVE the POD preset immediately after making the manual setting. There is no POD edit sequence to save this setting specifically. It is a hidden part of the preset - the current Speaker Mode state is stored when you save the preset.

During play, each time you switch presets the POD will reset the L2t Speaker Mode to the invisibly stored state via the L6 LINK connection, even when the audio path using that connection is muted. The preset architecture and physical connections will direct the desired signal to the desired L2t input (Channel 1 or L6 LINK) and mute the other signal.

The only thing, I think, that you can't do with this setup is blend/mix the acoustic and electric guitar signals together. It's one or the other and requires a preset change to toggle them. However, you could experiment with placing a VOL pedal in each path and assign both pedals to the same controller, e.g. EXP-1. Set the min/max settings for each pedal to be opposite - one min at 0 and the other at 100 and vice versa. Unmute the paths in the POD Mixer. This allows you to blend the signal paths smoothly as you move the pedal from heel to toe positions. This won't change the Speaker Mode but you may find it's not that critical after all.

Don't be afraid to experiment with these ideas - you can't do any harm to the equipment and you might stumble upon a unique setup that works for you.

Hi, the guitarist in the band has a POD HD500x into a Stagesource L2t. HIs guitar is a Parker Fly with both coiled and piezo pick-ups. What he wants to be able to do is use the Acoustic setting on the L2T but then add either a mix of electric guitar or go fully over to electric guitar. With split channels on the HD500 we can have separate signal paths for the Piezo (in via Aux) and coiled pickups (guitar in) - with individual amp models or no amp model - and route them either out together or separately via the XLR outs with panning hard left and right into channel 1 and 2 of the L2T. So we have most of the variables but the missing link is... can we use the POD to switch L2T amp modes from Acoustic to Electric from within the patch e.g. with an assigned footswitch? Your post suggests we can. Thanks

May I humbly suggest the info I have in this article right here on doing 2-voice guitar with Helix.

https://pietrosquared.wordpress.com/helix-2-voice-guitar/

Hi Silverhead, Thanks for the reply. I think I had the logic right and because the L2t can only change mode with a patch/ preset change, we will have to stick with which ever one sounds best. Interestong idea with the volume pedal to blend the mix.

PeterHamm, again thank you but we are operating an HD500 not a Helix. If I had the money....!