Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with Firehawk 1500

DunedinDragon

Could it be that the fourth patch is actually being sent stereo as compared to the other two patches and the hiss is an artifact of that?

I don't think so.

All patches are stereo (also sound stereo through headphones) and are sent to left and right Monitor In on FH1500.

The FH1500 itself is set to mono.

In practice, who does that? If you actually want to hear the stereo spread, the speakers should be the same distance from each other as they are from your head, so that the three of you form an equilateral triangle...or as close as is practical, given the layout of the room.

I do, every time I set both my monitors up on stage, just by turning them slightly away from each other I can hear the difference between sides just fine. 

• 1 year later...

Just weighing in here because this post scared me because I had my FH1500 and Helix on order!

Using XLR stereo to the FH sounds amazing for me. I don't have hiss issues. Also, I believe MIDI limitations are sorted - I'll be testing that tonight.

• Upvote 1

Midi has been fixed. I never use it but I remember the last update addressed the issue. I have had mine for a year or more and I still love it. The only down fail is the weight of it in my eyes but honestly it is not that bad my line 6 Lowdown 175 is another 20 lbs on top of it and I gig with both. If you crank any speaker system to a really loud level you will hear hiss. Nature of electricity. 

• 2 years later...
On 4/19/2018 at 5:30 PM, agentdrek said:

Just weighing in here because this post scared me because I had my FH1500 and Helix on order!

Using XLR stereo to the FH sounds amazing for me. I don't have hiss issues. Also, I believe MIDI limitations are sorted - I'll be testing that tonight.

356/5000

I have a few questions to confirm the configuration:
1. Did you update the FH?
2. What version?
3. Using only the two XLR cables from Helix to the monitor inputs on the FH1500, did all the speakers on the FH1500 turn on?
4. Do you have a flat response, with the dynamics and full power of the FH1500?

Thank you very much for your comments and contributions.

On 11/2/2017 at 7:41, talwilkins said:

Hello, could you share your configuration to use the Helix into the FH 1500? Which do you think is the best?

I have found the some options in other forums:

You will need 2 XLR cables and a guitar cable to hook the Helix the 1500 for WDW. Here are the ways (lifted from a post) They work (# 3 for WDW):

Scenario 1: Helix 1/4 "Stereo Outs -> Firehawk 1500 1/4" FX Stereo Returns, (with an UN-EFFECTED Neutral Patch). This provides a stereo amplified output.

Scenario 2: Helix Stereo XLR Outs -> Firehawk 1500 XLR Monitor Ins (which are controlled by the Monitor Gain Level Control). This provides a better / stronger level stereo amplified output, and is not affected by anything AFTER the Firehawk's Stereo Returns (other than a Global EQ).

Scenario 3: Helix 1/4 "Mono Out -> Firehawk 1500 1/4" Guitar In (with an UN-EFFECTED, Neutral Patch) PLUS Helix Stereo XLR Outs -> Firehawk 1500 XLR Monitor Ins (again, controlled by the Monitor Gain Level Control). This engages use of the Firehawk 1500's mono horn, which apparently is not engaged in Scenario's 1 & 2.

• 2 years later...

I guess this is a necro moment, but I have 2 FH1500's and I am considering getting a Helix or other modeler.

I have not had any hiss issues, and I always keep up with the firmware.  I got the 2nd FH for less than $400, so I now do stereo viaw 2 amps in mono.  The volume and sounds appear good to me, and when I stop playing it is dead silent.  So much so, I have friends who purchased this amp because of how well it works.  I know it has a built in gate that appears to work well, but when I say silent I mean it sounds as if the amp is powered off by just muting the strings.  I play high gain 80's stuff like EVH and ACDC.

Heavy, yes!  But the case they sell for $200 is a nice case, and you can even put the amp on top of the case to elevate the speakers to waist level.  The rollers and handle work well, though I just broke the plastic bracket for the handle.  Very easy/2 screw fix.  I just need to get the part, or make one out of wood or something else.  Easy to 3d print the bracket, once I get that done I will post the file so others can 3D print theirs if needed.  I have a machinist friend who might CNC me the bracket in metal, and if he does this I will have about a dozen extras to sell as it is not worth his time to make just one.

Has anyone does the 4CM for the Helix? Not sure if that buys you any advantages, but I wondered what others would say?

Thanks for responses, I am not sold on which modeler I am going with, it is between Helix, Kemper, Quad Cortex.  I had a AXEFX Ultra years ago, I liked it then but I hear much more about Kemper & QC, and Helix as the cheaper way to go.  I have a HX Effects now I use with my EVH 5153 and I really lile that.  Come to think of it, I might just be able to use a HX Stomp with the FH just to get the improved AMP models and stick with the FH effects, I have never had complaints about the FH effects. I guess doing that I would need to sort out the MIDI patch switching so when I switch patches via a MIDI floorboard, it will switch BOTH the FH & the HX Stomp at the same time.  Anyone ever try that?

Dave

Edited by howarddavidp
grammar