Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

6, 7 or 8?

jordans0nly

Looking at possible new studio monitors. I'm not going to be playing bass through the Helix, but really wanting to get the best value for the money. JBL LSR305's (I know, not none of the sizes above, lol), Mackie M-Audio BX8's, KRK Rokit 6" or 8. The KRK's are somewhat heavy and take up more space than most. 

Wanting to know if 5" or 6" would even be worth it. 

For very near field (3'-5') use the JBL LSR305 are very impressive. If speaker positioning requires another few feet of distance or spread, the LSR308 were the ones I distinctly preferred over the Yamaha HS 5/7/8. At 10' or greater, I preferred Yamaha DXR10 FRFR Active Monitors.

I felt all the KRK's were far too scooped for my taste.

For very near field (3'-5') use the JBL LSR305 are very impressive. If speaker positioning requires another few feet of distance or spread, the LSR308 were the ones I distinctly preferred over the Yamaha HS 5/7/8. At 10' or greater, I preferred Yamaha DXR10 FRFR Active Monitors.

I felt all the KRK's were far too scooped for my taste.

Funny you should say that. My GC had a pair of 305's for $199, mint condition. Traded in some gear, got them and stands for about $260..

Don't count the smaller speakers out - unless you've got a big room.  I had a pair of KRK VXT-8s that had unbelievably great mids and highs, super smooth but the low end just overpowered my little room.  I've since replaced them with a pair of Presonus E44s. Maybe not quite as smooth at the top end but as a whole, its frequency response is far more balanced for my room.  Consequently, my mixes translate better on other systems, especially the low end.  

• Upvote 1

I use the Event BAS 20/20 v3 studio monitors.  They are pretty solid, no nonsense monitors.  They get to be massively loud though, I have to run my XLR out at "mic" level and still run the master vol knob on my Helix rack around 10-11 o'clock. The max I put it at around is around NOON.

I did a good bit of research on studio monitors before I bought my first pair. 

They are very nice speakers, they didn't add a lot of features to these speakers because they wanted higher quality components to be available at lower prices. Most monitors in their price range typically do have more features, but often lower quality components because of this. 

The BAS 20/20s are studio stables for decades now, and for good reason too. They have a really nice flat response, They do a good job of reproducing the lower end compared to most other 7.1 inch woofers in their relative price range.  They are big, and they are heavy, like around 40lbs a speaker.  

I don't need to upgrade from these things for quite some time. But if I do I will either go a higher tier Event series, (Event really is a great company for studio monitors) or I will go with something like a Presonus Sceptre 6.5 with a Presonus Temblor 10" sub. However, it won't be anytime soon, these BAS 20/20 monitors are still kicking hard. 

I think they are a little large for my room, but not that bad, I think the Presonus setup that I mentioned above would be a little better suited to it though.

hideout is right.  Monitors should be sized to match the room they are in.  In a smaller space, 5" monitors with a sub is the right way to go.  

It's interesting that the dual 4" woofers of the E44s are essentially moving the same amount of air as a 6" single woofer but don't seem to over power the room.  There's plenty of low end but it's just not all over the place and flabby.  The imaging though... MAN! I have not heard speakers that image like these do in a long time. It's the widest soundstage I've ever had in my room. 

I've been using a set of M-Audio BX8a for a good number of years now, and I think they are a great bang for the buck. That being said, I did spend about 2-hours last year helping my friend get a pair of monitors for his setup. We played a bunch of music we were both really familiar with off of his and my iPhone listening to a bunch of different monitors. To my ear, the Yamaha HS10s beat the JBL LSRs and many of the others.

If I could go back in time.. I would probably get the HS10s

YMMV

I've been using a set of M-Audio BX8a for a good number of years now, and I think they are a great bang for the buck. That being said, I did spend about 2-hours last year helping my friend get a pair of monitors for his setup. We played a bunch of music we were both really familiar with off of his and my iPhone listening to a bunch of different monitors. To my ear, the Yamaha HS10s beat the JBL LSRs and many of the others.

If I could go back in time.. I would probably get the HS10s

YMMV

Well, as of right now, the 305's take up less space for my situation.

I recently upgraded my JBL LSR308s to Adam A7Xs.  Before that, I switched between the 308s when at my desk and a pair of ZLX-12Ps for band practice.  I thought the 308s were perfect for the helix.

Also, how in the hell do I change my forum nick?  I've changed my username in my account but that didn't seem to affect the forums.

Got the LSR305's hooked up, still dialing in, but man, what a world of difference already. I was fooling around with the Brit Plexi patch that's already there, tweaked a few things, playing with my Edwards LP Gold Top with P90's and it was singing!

Just have to keep dialing it in and setting up the scenes, havent learned how to, but I'll check out some videos. Thanks guys for all the info.

The bigger the drivers, the better is always my opinion.

Stay away from KRK though. They sound pretty lollipop even compared to most joe average home hifi systems.

I saw a clip on youtube and they were testing krk, jbl and yamaha. The KRK has some weird damping quality to them, as least to my ears. 

I saw a clip on youtube and they were testing krk, jbl and yamaha. The KRK has some weird damping quality to them, as least to my ears. 

Yup, I'd say that's accurate. They sound soft, even woofy, and lack a lot of detail in the top end.

Personally I would go for the ADAM F5 units or even save some more and get F7s instead. They will be far superior in every possible way.