Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider IV 75 hiss/static

sgass

Bought this amp new about 6 years ago. It seems to have developed a hiss or static in the background. Not unplayable but noticeable. More so on some presets than others and also present when using headphones. Same cable and guitar I've used for years. I've tried a factory reset and used different outlets but problem is still there. Just looking for any suggestions before I decide if it's bad enough for me to pay to fix. Thanks

UPDATE

Had a chance to use a new power source, guitar and cable. The problem is definitely the amp. YouTube research suggests maybe a ground problem? Only Line 6 authorized service in my area is so backed up they're only doing warranty work and mine is long gone. Any advice if I take this on myself?

• 2 months later...

Just did a Google search for the same problem and came across this thread. Bizarrely exact same problem, exact same amp and exact same situation, bought it about six years ago and no problem until now. I was about to start dismantling and tightening as you suggested and I discovered exactly what the problem was. believe it or not it is my new laptop. I always sit and play with my laptop in front of me, when I moved it away the hiss went away, pulled it towards me and the hiss came back. This is definitely the problem, probably some sort of wireless thing I imagine but I'm not techy enough to understand all that. Don't know if this is similar to what you experienced but maybe worth considering for the future.

UPDATE ON THE LAPTOP ISSUE I POSTED YESTERDAY. It seems as though the problem only exists when the laptop is running on its battery, no issues at all when plugged in. Don't know why this is to blame but I don't care, problem solved :)