Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Flextone -HD 500 stereo effects?

Hi guys. Hello to you all.

I have just bought a flextone 3 and a HD500 cheap after not playing for a good few years as a kind of introduction back into playing live again. Been a sound engineer for last few years and learned a lot about live stuff but there a few things that are still confusing me..... as follows.

I want to use the stereo effects from the HD500 for an extension cabinet I'm buying for the flextone. I'm not sure about a few things so here goes. I'm assuming (haven't got it yet) I can split the effects block on the HD500 pre or post, so as to have verbs and such post going through the effects loop via the 'x' cable method etc while putting overdrives and such directly in line etc. Although I haven't looked at a circuit diagram yet I was hoping someone could explain how the effects loop on the flextone is configured. I'm assuming serial but if I want to run stereo from the two amps in the flextone.... does the send return on the amp insert at the right point to allow me to do this affectively, and what is the gain structure. Are there any issues I should look out for. It's kind of difficult to explain as I haven't all the gear yet but hopefully you can get the gist. The 4 cable method can only achieve a mono effect right? My thinking is I use the effects sends and returns like for like. In other words tr jacks out, send and return from the HD500 to the amps and then back again! ...... can I then go out from the output of the HD500 straight into the input of the amp (effects pre for distortions). Question is can I route the HD500 this way? Will it work this way and at what point is the send and return inserting itself?

Confusing for me at the moment but not for the informed person I'm sure not.

Many thanks I would imagine as you guys seem to be a nice...

Eddie van Helen.

Yikes "x" cable method?

Flex: serial loop inserted after the preamp/fx. IMO to go parallel you would need a mixer.

The HD can pan FX L or R depending where the fx blocks are. Keep in mind that adding a mono block after will sum the signal back to mono combining what was intended to be two separate chains.

The Flex does have L & R channels for the FX loop so it does do stereo.

That is one jumble of a paragraph but it seems like you want to use the Flex Pre amp AND the HD together. You may not want to use the Flex's pres and just go HD into the loop.

You should invest some time in the manuals and do a search in the forums as many of these questions are answered in a more lengthy manner.

Hope that helped you somewhat :)

Thanks.. that helps. Dunno about the parallel part though.

So to sum up, if I go from the stereo sends out of the HD into the send return of the amp I'm post the flex pres just before the two amps? Gain stage is good, signal 100? If no ext cab is plugged into the flex just the one mono out (flex combo driver) and with ext cab plugged in and HD panned hard left and right I'm good to go full stereo? I realise what you mean about panning the HD.

Sorry but got there in the end.

Malc.

You must have the Flex Plus then. Which has to have the ext cab plugged in to go stereo. But yes you should be good to go as you are going in after the preamp.

I have a Flex II Plus but usually run it in mono but I was running a GSP1101 in it and it was great no loss of signal.

Keep in mind that you have to pop a dummy jack in the input to get everything to work without the Flex Preamps.