Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How To Make A Hd500/l2t Sound Like A Hd500/dt25?

Hi there - I'd like to get some advice on how to get the best sound from a HD500/L2t connection.

For background I just picked up a L2t as a precursor to buying a m20d and more StageSource speakers for a band I'm in. I figured that if I can get great sound going right from the HD500 to the L2t, the same should be true when I go from the HD500 to the m20d out to the speakers. Ideally that means no amp mic’ing and less equipment to carry.

Generally I play an Ibanez RG through an HD500 and DT25. I love the sounds I'm getting for my heavy tones through the HD500/DT25. Full, rich – you know, tube amp sound. So my hope was to get close-ish by just running direct from the HD500 to the L2t.

As a note my HD500 output mode is set to "combo poweramp" when I use the DT25.

I went with the setup I read in an earlier thread: http://line6.com/support/topic/439-l3t-vs-dt25-how-they-compare-imho/

I.e. I set the HD500 to “studio/direct†and set the L2t to “PA/referenceâ€. No reverb, mod or EQ on the L2t.

Unfortunately the sound I got for all of my distorted patches (ones using F-ball, Bomberman Uber, Treadplate, J-800) sounded awful. Kind of like the distortion one used to get from the first solid state modeling amps long ago. Tinny and harsh versus the smooth, big sounds from the DT25 for the same patches.

But when I switched the HD500 to “combo poweramp†output and the L2t to the “electric guitar†preset my sound was much closer to the DT25. There is some brittleness in the top end with distorted patches. But it’s close enough that, with some EQ, I can use the patches I’ve created already for the HD500/DT25.

Unfortunately I’m worried that:

1.    I’m missing a step and thus not getting the best sounds I can from the L2t despite the settings – OR -

2.    Something is wrong with the L2t – AND -

3.    If I have to set the L2t to “electric guitar†mode to sound good, I’m going to have an issue when I’m going direct to an m20d and not direct to the L2t.

Can anyone share advice?

Thanks,

Ted

The first thing that comes to mind is that if you are using a DT25 you probably have the cabinet models out of the equation.  Switching to studio/direct won't just fix that.  I would check to see if you have any cabinet models assigned to your patches.  If not, switch back to studio direct, put the L2t back into reference/PA mode and then call up one of your patches that was giving you trouble and go into the edit mode and add a cabinet model.  You may have to try different cab models to get the sound you're looking for.

This would explain why it sounded better with the L2t in electric guitar mode, since that mode simulates a 2X12 cabinet with a bit of extra high end sparkle.

Thanks Litensirens.In reference to my first post I did add the cabinet models back in and used the non-pre versions of the amps when going through the L2t.  (When going through the DT25 I use no cabinet model and use "pre" versions of the amps).

Anyway, I've been trying to reconstruct my patches from scratch while listening to them using studio/direct out on the HD500 and PA/reference mode on the L2t.

They sound thin and digital at first when I use the non-pre HD500 amps with their default settings and no FX - especially the more aggressive amps. But I'm having some success getting closer to a DT25 sound by adjusting the cabinet and amp parameters below the amp setting on the amp page. Turning up "res" and "bias" are useful.

Then adding a vintage EQ in the FX section seems to help.

Still, whenever I switch back to listening to my old patches through the DT25 (the ones that use the pre amp models and no cabinet) I'm blown away by how much richer they sound.

So is there an EQ setting in my patches I should be using with my HD500->L2t tones? Something that will compensate for not using the DT25?

Any other advice from you pros (including Line 6 people)?

Thanks - Ted

I'm afraid I don't have my HD500 anymore (sorry Line 6) I went a different route with the GR-55, I still don't use an amp and I'm happy with all my tones.  That said when I had my amp Mesa Mark V and my HD500, I wound up selling the Mark V because I was getting great tones direct to PA.  I can't recall what sort of settings I used but I think it was just a matter of getting used to build patches that way.  Eventually you stumble on to what works and you have your recipe.   You used to building the patches with the amp and you know what works.  There's also that possibility that you might not be able to match it to your satisfaction.  But the HD500 is pretty deep.

Thanks again litensirens. I'll keep trying. 

One thing I did discover was that I DO get the big DT25 sound when I go direct out from the DT25 into the L2t. The DT25 L6 Link Connectivity guide states:

"Low Volume Mode Off, Amp On (not in Standby) = Direct Out signal consists of the “Preamp†Amp Model with the analog amp"

...and it sounds great with the L2t in PA/reference mode. I'm actually getting the sound I want and expect out of the monitor.

Interestingly when I use these modes:

• Low Volume Mode On, Amp in Standby = Direct Out signal consists of the “Full†
(preamp + power amp) Amp Model with no analog amp. This is a handy option for 
“silent recording†while still providing the tone of a cranked amp.
• Low Volume Mode On, Amp On (not in Standby) = Direct Out signal consists of the 
“Full†Amp Model and the analog amp.

...I get a lot of hiss from the speaker. Not sure why.

However I'm trying to take the DT25 out of the equation. I love tweaking patches to get there (i.e. making the HD500/L2t in PA/reference mode sound the same as HD500/DT25) but I'm definitely shooting in the dark which means lots of wasted time.

Since I'm not a sound engineer and have very limited understanding of the magic behind the modeling can anyone share a preset that they've made sound full and tube-like when going from the HD500 to any FRFR system?

Technical advice welcome too.

Thanks,

Ted

Replying to myself :).

I also found this link on the old Line 6 forums: http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/85880

It has the following (I hope) salient advice.

To use it the way you want to plug your guitar into ch 1 or 2 and play it and raise the gain until the led changes from green to yellow to red then back it off a bit until you see no red led. That will be the ideal gain for the guitar and vocals. If it stays in the green as you play the cabinet is getting a limited signal from your guitar, kinda like turning a water hose on full then pinching it allowing a smaller amount of water to pass through. It can squash your signal. 

My led has been in the green since I've avoided cranking the channel volume on my patches. And my sound has definitely sounded "squashed". Tonight I'll give the above a shot and see if it makes a difference in my tone.

Well, the above was a fail. When the L2t light is orange it certainly sounds like the signal is getting clipped (which results in crunchy digital noise creeping into my high gain patches.) I suppose that's why the warning light comes on :).

At this point I'm resigned to keeping my Dt25 in the signal chain. But hey, I'd still love to hear any advice or success stories from you pros.

Thanks,

Ted

I don't personally try to push into the orange with anything.  I think yes your best bet is keep the DT25 for now and keep trying to build L2t patches from scratch.  If you start to figure out a recipe for getting the tones that YOU like with that combination you can eliminate the DT 25 from the equation at that time.