Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp Room. Every amp in a setlist for a Strat and a Les Paul

brue58ski

I have created a setlist that has every amp in it including the bass amps. Each amp has the same blocks in them although for some amps I had to drop a block to fit them in. The standard block line up is

Volume Pedal-Chrome Wah-Minotaur-Amp-Cab-IR-Parametric EQ-Trinity Chorus-Transistor Tape-Chamber.

Here's a pic

post-1681-0-37844800-1486992683_thumb.jpg

I separated the amp and cab so I could experiment with different cabs.  The parametric EQ already has each parameter assigned to snapshots to make it easy to compare different settings using snapshots.

The Distortion Chorus Delay and Reverb are assigned to footswitches 8-11 respectively. Each patch starts with no effects on. I have a Variax. Each amp has a patch created for it with a Strat bridge pickup and a Les Paul bridge pickup. Each amp is labeled with it's real name and an St for Strat and LP for Les Paul to indicate what guitar is programmed into it.

Each patch has 4 snapshots that are assigned to the amp's drive from 10 to less dist to less dist to clean, as much as I could. Some amps never lose the distortion and some amps are always clean. I went through several processes to determine what those settings were. So the different snapshot levels may not be perfect but you can easily change them to suite your own taste. Each snapshot is labeled with the amp's drive setting. You need to set your global settings to have the Snapshots on the top row and the Effects on the bottom row. Now you can just select a snapshot to get a quick idea of what each amp is capable of drive wise.

The output levels are set for the XLR's. The XLR Global setting is on Mic. The Volume knob is Full. The Global EQ's overall level is at -14.0 dB. This should get you a mic level signal at the XLR's outputs. This took awhie to do. I can see why people decide to charge for a bunch of patches but I left all the effects and amps at their default settings so it was more grunt work than creativity. Just changed the drive and channel settings.. So ther you go. A room full of amps with FX, a Strat and a Les Paul hooked up to each one.

In order to attach this file to this post I had to change the extension to txt. Be sure to change it back to hls to load it.

Amp Room.txt

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 11

This represents a lot of work! I embarked on a similar mission a while back, but it took me too far down the rabbit hole and I lost my mind before completing it and had to go live in a remote jungle cave for a time. I'm back now and feeling much better and think it's commendable that you're sharing your work  :)

brue58ski:

Sorry to hear about your injured knee. Hope you heal up soon!

What version of Helix firmware was used to generate the Presets in the SetList you so generously posted?

Thanks for posting it here for fellow Forum users.

brue58ski:

Sorry to hear about your injured knee. Hope you heal up soon!

What version of Helix firmware was used to generate the Presets in the SetList you so generously posted?

Thanks for posting it here for fellow Forum users.

The latest. I think it's 2.12.

Hey , I noticed you have a cab block and a IR . Kinda new to Helix and I just wondered because I thought if you have a IR no cab block needed ??

It's just to give you every option possible. As it stands the Cab is on and the IR is offl Just turn the Cab off and the IR on ir you want to try an IR. I know some people have combined Cabs and IR's as well. You could pan the Cab left and the IR right to make a subtle stereo effect. I just tried to include as many options as I could think of.

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you change it back to a .hls file? I tried renaming it, and Windows just added .txt to what I put in. I tried an audio conversion program, but it doesn't have .hls as an option.

Just change .txt to .hls, and then import the setlist via Helix app into an unused bank.

There's a folder/window option in Windows that permits/prevents you from viewing and editing the file name extension. Experiment with the Folder View options and you will find it soon enough.

Just another case of Microsoft assuming that all users are stupid and attempting to protect us from ourselves by limiting our capabilities.

Just another case of Microsoft assuming that all users are stupid and attempting to protect us from ourselves by limiting our capabilities. 

Hummm... You have never met a few of the Engineers I work with have you...  ;)

• Upvote 1

@brue58ski, this is AMAZING.

Just for giggles, I made my own copy. All I did was change the Helix input to GTR in (I know some would want "multi" but that is useless to me, so I did GTR in), but as I went through there were a handful of patches with (easily fixable) errors, maybe in translation btw, that I fixed. Also, I made it so that the default snapshot on each is the clean one. And in a few cases there were FX on in some snapshots (also could have been translation error).

If anybody wants that version here it is. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5YMP7cdVF-Ld3d6R2s5SDB5SzA

brue58ski, if you do NOT want me to share that, let me know, but I thought in the spirit of the good will of your post, I'd just offer it.

imho, the best thing you can do to learn how Helix will work with your guitar is to go through these until you sound the amp that sounds closest.

THEN change the cab, add a dual cab, or your favorite IR.

And change the FX out for what works best for you.

This new set list will be my starting place to find the tone for a song when I'm recording for sure. SO useful.

• Upvote 2

Just for giggles, I made my own copy. All I did was change the Helix input to GTR in (I know some would want "multi" but that is useless to me, so I did GTR in), but as I went through there were a handful of patches with (easily fixable) errors, maybe in translation btw, that I fixed. Also, I made it so that the default snapshot on each is the clean one. And in a few cases there were FX on in some snapshots (also could have been translation error).

If anybody wants that version here it is. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5YMP7cdVF-LWGRjRTcxLTRjT3c

brue58ski, if you do NOT want me to share that, let me know, but I thought in the spirit of the good will of your post, I'd just offer it.

imho, the best thing you can do to learn how Helix will work with your guitar is to go through these until you sound the amp that sounds closest.

This new set list will be my starting place to find the tone for a song when I'm recording for sure. SO useful.

Thanks @PeterHamm and @brue58ski much appreciated!

If anybody wants that version here it is. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5YMP7cdVF-LWGRjRTcxLTRjT3c

No problem. Anything that will help people. I almost didn't post it because I fully expected it to not be exactly what all people wanted but it took so long to put it together I thought people might like it, even if it was just as a starting point for their ideas. I have no issues at with people making it better for other needs or even just different. Let the changes begin.

• Upvote 1

Just gotta say.

Thanks for putting the amp room together all.

I had a little jam through various bits and pieces yesterday and it certainly made life a heck of a lot easier.

The only qualm I had was that I needed to clear the IR from the chain and replace it with a bog standard compressor. I found this brought a lot of life back into the guitar tones as they were sounding a little glassy when played through studio monitors. They now sit healthily in line with online backing tracks.

Come to think of it... I was inserting this into path 1b.... so perhaps I was using parallel compression to merge back with the original tone?
Sounded great at least!

I had a nice jam using amps I hadn't tried before. That Matchless sim... and also the Litigator and Archon were different beasts!
It's little things like this that help me recognise how important it is to be a part of the community.

I'll come back and post my adjusted version of the setlist if people are feeling the same way I did.

Hi,

Sorry if I'm being a bit daft but I'm trying to load your setlist into helix and I can't. So was wondering if you could help??Everytime I try to I go into the editor select a new preset from one of the user banks and select import setlist and then I select your download and I get model specified in the file not recognised. I'm updated to firmware 2.12 on the helix and the editor says it's version 1.11.

I'm pretty new to this so not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance

Just gotta say.

Thanks for putting the amp room together all.

I had a little jam through various bits and pieces yesterday and it certainly made life a heck of a lot easier.

The only qualm I had was that I needed to clear the IR from the chain and replace it with a bog standard compressor. I found this brought a lot of life back into the guitar tones as they were sounding a little glassy when played through studio monitors. They now sit healthily in line with online backing tracks.

Come to think of it... I was inserting this into path 1b.... so perhaps I was using parallel compression to merge back with the original tone?

Sounded great at least!

I had a nice jam using amps I hadn't tried before. That Matchless sim... and also the Litigator and Archon were different beasts!

It's little things like this that help me recognise how important it is to be a part of the community.

I'll come back and post my adjusted version of the setlist if people are feeling the same way I did.

I'm liking all of this input. The whole idea was to find a quick way to audition all of the amps so the more options the better.

Hi,

Sorry if I'm being a bit daft but I'm trying to load your setlist into helix and I can't. So was wondering if you could help??Everytime I try to I go into the editor select a new preset from one of the user banks and select import setlist and then I select your download and I get model specified in the file not recognised. I'm updated to firmware 2.12 on the helix and the editor says it's version 1.11.

I'm pretty new to this so not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance

I'm stumped other than making sure you changed the extension to .hls. Anyone else got any ideas? Could the download have been corrupted? Maybe try downloading it again?

Your editor is out of date. Download and install Helix editor v2.11

The fact that your editor is out of date suggests that your firmware may not be installed properly. I suggest you reinstall the editor, the latest driver and Line 6 Updater program, and then reinstall the firmware. The installation procedures begin with the editor. Go to the Downloads section, select Helix in the Software (not Products) field, and follow the installation instructions carefully.

• Upvote 1

Hi, Thanks for helping out. Turns out I was running the latest software, just seems to have worked out now, turned the laptop off and back on ! ( First rule of IT)

Brue58ski thanks for setting all this up, saved a lot of time and an excellent ref point for experimenting with

Brue58ski and PeterHamm, a derivative SetList version of your respective efforts on these amp demo Presets would be a great candidate for inclusion in Line 6's Helix fw factory build. Should you be in agreement with the prospect, do let Line 6 know they're free to do so.

I finally got around to setting my helix back up after Saturdays gig. I've been wanting to load this set list for about a week now. Very impressed with the amount of work that went into this. I did notice that all of the presets were consistently lower than most of the stock and my personal presets. This of course, is a non-issue, but a bit surprising. Great group of sounds. It was kinda nice to hear the echoplex effect in there. I had been mostly using the simple delay for my home brewed sounds. Great work! I love the collaborative nature of this forum, btw... Really separates this place from the other guys.

There's a folder/window option in Windows that permits/prevents you from viewing and editing the file name extension. Experiment with the Folder View options and you will find it soon enough.

Thanks, that did the trick.

I finally got around to setting my helix back up after Saturdays gig. I've been wanting to load this set list for about a week now. Very impressed with the amount of work that went into this. I did notice that all of the presets were consistently lower than most of the stock and my personal presets. This of course, is a non-issue, but a bit surprising. Great group of sounds. It was kinda nice to hear the echoplex effect in there. I had been mostly using the simple delay for my home brewed sounds. Great work! I love the collaborative nature of this forum, btw... Really separates this place from the other guys.

The levels were specifically set to a mic level. That's what I use going direct to the mixer and is about the lowest level there is. I have a tone generator that has a mic level output so that's what I used for a reference even though I know mic level has a wide range of levels depending on where the mic is and how loud the source is. The tone generator is in a Shure mixer. Since they are known for their mics. I figure any level they come up with for a reference for mic level must at least be close to a certain average level.

An arrow to the knee aye? You adventurers and your risk laden ways! :D

I would love to regale you with a tale of the damsel I rescued from a band of rogue archers and a group of sword laden ne'er do wells. Single handedly dispatching them to the great beyond. (Which I am fully capable of doing (said while puffing out my chest).....yeah, right).  But alas, sadly I just slipped on some ice and completely detached the large tendon going from the quads to the knee. On the plus side though, I have always wanted to learn how to play Black Mountain Side from Led Zepplin I and have done so. It also provided me with all the time I needed to create this amp room thing. But I sure am ready to get the hell off this couch!!!! 2 more weeks.

• Upvote 1

The levels were specifically set to a mic level. That's what I use going direct to the mixer and is about the lowest level there is. I have a tone generator that has a mic level output so that's what I used for a reference even though I know mic level has a wide range of levels depending on where the mic is and how loud the source is. The tone generator is in a Shure mixer. Since they are known for their mics. I figure any level they come up with for a reference for mic level must at least be close to a certain average level.

This is actually a good approach.

Quick question about the Amp Room presets. First off - thank you very much for taking the time to put this together, it's a fantastic idea and Line 6 should do a similar equivalent for their factory presets. I love the consistency across presets so the only variables are the amps and the cabs that tend to go with them + a few standard effects to turn on and off to get the flavor of each amp.

Now my question - I finally got a chance to load this into one of my free set-lists. First thing I noticed was that the volume was really really low compared to my own presets. I could barely hear them through my setup. Digging in just a little, I noticed the Channel Volume on each amp is way below the defaults when you load the amp in fresh.

Is that intentional? Easily corrected by pressing the Ch Vol button on the amp block which sets it back to the default volume. But I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious reason for this that went over my head.

For full disclosure: I did only load in Peter Hamm's updated version, so perhaps this is something he did that was not in the original.

Any clarity on that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

EDIT: Nevermind - I see this question was answered just a few posts above. I'm on my first cup of coffee, so I claim that as my excuse.

Edited by bsd512

Wouldn't matching mic level make most sense coming out of the XLRs, with the XLR output level seeing set to mic? I can't see the point of lowering the internal patch levels down that far. Why would you want to do that, other than to have something as a consistent reference?

Wouldn't matching mic level make most sense coming out of the XLRs, with the XLR output level seeing set to mic? I can't see the point of lowering the internal patch levels down that far. Why would you want to do that, other than to have something as a consistent reference?

The patches were created with the XLR'S set to mic level. I believe I mention that in the original post.