Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Upgrading from Pod XT Live

mrmichaelg

Hi All!

I am long time user of the XT Live and finally sold it off a few months back.  I'm now missing having it, but am thinking of going to the Pod HD500x.  I haven't had a chance to play with one yet, but from what I hear the sounds are improved.  My big issue with the XT Live (really the only main one) was the distorted 'metal' sounds were very fizzy and harsh, no matter what I tried to do to it.   I see there is a 500 and a 500X. So my questions...

• Is that fizz still there?
  • Are the sounds improved
  • Is there any difference between the HD500 and HD500x?

Thanks for any and all help!!!

The fizz is there and just like the XT if you learn to use the EQ you can dial it out.

The sounds IMO are improved

The 500x has additional DSP. If you are one to add lots of FX with dual amp paths go the X route. If you are not a heavy FX user then the non-X should be fine.

BTW be sure to check out the HD Model packs as some of the fave XT/X3 amps were added back.

I had a POD XT LIVE, Now I'm pretty satisfied with the HD500x. What do I miss? The AUTO-WAH only, somehow the modeled on the HD500x sounds kinda different (even when it's same MU-TRON III), anyway check this video to get the right EQ dial. (BTW this guy has probably the best reviews of the HD500x)

Do a quick google search for Meambobbo HD500 and absorb all you can from that site.

For some odd reason my work access blocks the site. :)

foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup

and just browse around here in the forums there is gold in here.

My XTLive finally quit after almost 10 years and for Xmas I bought myself a used HD Bean. I did miss my floor stomps, but I got an fbv express to help with the withdrawal. But that's where it stops. The HD is superior in every way to the XTLive in tone quality. Dialing a tone through the editing software is a breeze so dailing out unwanted noise is pretty easy. I was amazed at the improvements of this unit. Amp models I really didn't like (ac30 as an example) are really good now and I spend more time with just the amps instead of the effects. Cabs are also improved. Some cabs would sound a bit muddy through my amp, but I haven't found one yet that's off putting with the HD. I read somewhere that they say this is 10x better then the xt. I have to agree. Maybe even 11x better.

I have both XTLive and now a HD 500X.  I love the 500X.  I have only had it 3 weeks.  I feel the sounds are richer and better.  Over all more quiet when not being played.  I can't seem to find a "Sweet Child 'O Mine" wah pedal sound that I like.  The hardest thing for me to get used to now is the menus on the 500X.  I know it will take some time, but I feel the XT was much more intuitive.  I am sure I will eventually get it figured out.