Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bluetooth MIDI adapter for Helix for automated preset changes

johnplanetz

I used Set List Maker on the iPad and would like to have it change Helix presets over MIDI when changing songs. 

There are two products I know of that might be able to add bluetooth MIDI to Helix: Yamaha MD-BT01 and Quicco Sound mi.1

I'd like some confirmation that these will work with Helix.  I've seen conflicting reports:

The Yamaha was suggested in this thread and confirmed working with Helix in one of the sweetwater reviews here.  However, in post #5669 on the epic gearpage thread, Digital_Igloo said that these would NOT work due to lack of MIDI power.  Has that changed?

I like the look of the Quicco because of its small size and I could leave it permanently plugged in, whereas the Yamaha sticks out so far that I'd have to remove and reinsert every time I put the Helix in a case for rehearsals/gigs. 

Thanks,

John

Thanks for the suggestion Sounddog.  Wireless is appealing, but I guess wired may be more bulletproof, and keeping the ipad charged is a nice benefit.

So when plugging the adapter into the Helix, does the Helix just appear as a standard usb audio/midi device, so it shows up as a port in Set List Maker with no special set up?

I have my ipad mini mounted sideways/landscape to my mic stand.  I'm a bit concerned about having that adapter hang off the side.

Have you tried running a lightning extension cable (so there's a simple wire plugged into the iPad, and the adapter itself is down on the floor a with a short usb cable connecting the adapter to the helix?

This is the most foolproof and stable method I've found. I avoid bluetooth when possible, due to connection and lag issues. And, yes, the Helix shows up in Set List Maker as expected when using the CCK.

I have my iPad mounted at a 45 degree angel, in landscape mode, but not on a mic stand, so the cables are not an issue for me. I don't know if using an lightning extension would work or whether impedance might be a problem — you'd have to try it or perhaps try another forum. Otherwise you could wrap your lightning/charging cable and a thin USB cable together, perhaps with some black tubing so it doesn't show.

Thanks Sounddog.  I'll get a CCK and give it a try.

Meanwhile, I think it would be to go back to the original question, and get that answered definitively, before marking this thread as solved.  Hopefully Digital_Igloo can respond on whether these bluetooth midi adapters are expected to work properly with Helix, powered over the midi jacks.

HEY HEY! 
I'm using the Quicco Sound mi.1and it's working excellently.

I had a Livid Instruments Guitar Wing connected to the Helix through an iPad via Bluetooth yesterday, super fun.

The Quicco unit seems to have a decent range, like 20 feet (line of sight)

Really opens up some possibilities!

I'll be using this with Mainstage and Ableton both.

• 4 months later...